Minnesota Wild @ Ottawa Senators, Saturday 1-5-19, 12:00pm, Canadian Tire Centre

MNSOTA

2 minutes ago, Starofthenorth said:

Nino is getting paid 5.25 million a year and is lost. They kept juggling lines hoping to get him and coyle going. Coyle figured it out and is playing well now but it doesn't seem as though anybody can help in finding Nino.

Maybe these two can help

Image result for Finding Nemo Dory and Marlin

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Starofthenorth said:

Nino is getting paid 5.25 million a year and is lost. They kept juggling lines hoping to get him and coyle going. Coyle figured it out and is playing well now but it doesn't seem as though anybody can help in finding Nino.

You're right. Trade him already.

Wild looking alive the last two games. Nice to see.
Zach Parise in particular.  Looks like he finally is getting into his groove, as is Jared Spurgeon...maybe Coyle to a lesser extent.

Now....if the guys like Jason Zucker, Mikael Granlund, and Eric Staal can get going, maybe this team becomes a regular offensive threat each and every game out once again.

Spurgeon Strikes Twice as Wild Escape with 4-3 Win over Ottawa

(sigh)  Ottawa gifted this game to the Wild.  The Wild put a pretty half-assed effort in and got a win.  Zucker, Staal, Granlund line was trash most of the game.  Nino was mostly MIA.  The only Wild line really working hard consistently was the Coyle, Parise, Kunin line.  They won't be able to play like this against Montreal or Boston and win; they'll get blown out.  I have a full game recap, Iowa Wild highlights and some prospect news too.  Check it out!

That is two in a row and three of their last four in the win column for the boys in green n white.
Not the prettiest defensively on any of them (well, they did alright defensively against the Jets), but the bottom line is, they got it done.

What shouldn't be lost here though is Minnesota, in their three of four wins (including these Sens) handled teams that are known for goal scoring and putting up a large number of SOG.

Again, improvements to defensive coverage is certainly in order overall, and Devan Dubnyk COULD do without giving up a goal that makes things tighter than they need to be, but at the very least, the Wild offense seems to be a bit more alive, could get better if some guys wake up, and Duby still makes good stops when needed...… bottom line is always wins, and at this stage with this team, you take them any way you can.

One thing I have noticed...since Mat Dumba went down, the Wild really haven't had anyone push the offense from the blue line and THAT, I believe, has been a main contributor to the Wild's futility in consistent scoring.

Now, it seems, Jared Spurgeon has stepped up and started to do a bit what Dumba was doing before and his play has not only produced offense from the defense, but has also created opportunities up front that Parise' line in particular, seems to be able to take advantage of.

If others can jump on that train, then this team can start racking up some points in the standings once again.

Upcoming games against Montreal and Boston will be tough, especially on a back to back, however, those teams do have their flaws as well.... Montreal isn't the most consistent offensive or defensive team either, and Boston is still, for the most part, a one line team, and their goalies, whether Rask or Halak, can play a Vezina style game..... or a Darren Pang type game....can never tell from one game to another...… though it has to be said, Boston's defense is pretty solid still.

Bottom line is, Minnesota handled the Sens, and Leafs and Jets prior by containing their offense.
Montreal and Boston won't provide offense like those, but it will still be up to the Wild themselves to be responsible in their own coverage.

And if Spurgeon can continue to create for himself and his forward lines (maybe Suter and Brodin to a lesser degree), the Wild may, at the very least, be able to put up goals to offset any defensive lapses....and yea, Dubnyk is 1000 times better when he leaves the puck the hell alone and just plays net! :shifty:

Nice little roll Minnesota is on..... not gonna delude myself this team is all "fixed"...but not gonna complain either.
They are getting wins now. That's all I really want to see from these guys at this stage...just claw their way a bit closer to the top of the division and away from the bottom...

I’m getting to the point with this team that a win is a win. Who cares if it was pretty or ugly. We all know this team is not a Cup contender. But I guess I’d rather see a win, any win, than a loss. Because this team has too many wins already to get a decent pick next season. And even if they got the top pick they’d piss it away on some Finlander or Swede no ones ever heard of...

3 hours ago, Starofthenorth said:

Nino plays hard when it is for his country and no paycheck, but hardly plays when it is for the wild and his huge paycheck of 5.25 million per season. Embarrassing. 

Remember when he would go to the net hard and take no ****. Yeah it seems like an eternity 

7 hours ago, Starofthenorth said:

Nino plays hard when it is for his country and no paycheck, but hardly plays when it is for the wild and his huge paycheck of 5.25 million per season. Embarrassing. 

Here is an idea🤔 - we need an additional promising player from Switzerland for Nino like we had a nice successful duo of Gaborik  and Pavol Demitra in a past. Two years in a row Switzerland is impressing with their ability to reach semifinals on different world competitions. The recent one was a 2019 World Junior Championship in Vancouver. One single player who was able to put the most goals(6) during that competition was a player from Switzerland - Kurashev Phillip. Maybe the Wild organization will pay attention to that player, who is playing now for the club Quebec Remparts.

For my first game to see the Wild on the road, it was worth it ! A little bit behind the Wild bench, a perfect location and close to the action

At least 50 Wild fans were there maybe more, I wasn't expecting so much. I met a couple of guys making the trip in Toronto, Ottawa and then Montréal. I pretty much agree with CreaseAndAssist recap, maybe a bit severe against the Wild. Yes, the team had a bad start. Ottawa put a lot of pressure and after 15min, it was like 14-2 in shots. Dubnyk made a solid performance and his key saves kept us in the game, trailing only by 1 after the 1st. Nothing really worked for the Wild: bad passes, no speed, constantly out of position.

But from the second period, things got even and the more the game was going, the more the Wild found its game. The 3-2 ugly goal cut the legs to the Senators. After all the energy they spent in the 1st period, I seemed to me that they were out of gas. 2 good points, mainly thank to Dubnyk. Except for the 1st Senators goal, he could do nothing on the 2 others.

My disappointements: Granlund, Nino and Zucker. At a moment, I saw a #16 on the ice and I thought the Wild recall another guy from Iowa... I was surprised by the size of Greenway. Damn that guy is huge. But like Coyle (which I found to be very quick), I'm wondering if he can use his size in a better way.

Finally: why the hell did they put their arena in the middle of nowhere. No train, no public transportation, no services, a mess to get out of the stadium. I understand why the franchise is struggling (the attendance was barely over 14k) and the absolute need for them for a new facility in the downtown. Without it, the future of the team could be in jeopardy.

On 1/5/2019 at 10:32 PM, Alexandron said:

Here is an idea🤔 - we need an additional promising player from Switzerland for Nino like we had a nice successful duo of Gaborik  and Pavol Demitra in a past. Two years in a row Switzerland is impressing with their ability to reach semifinals on different world competitions. The recent one was a 2019 World Junior Championship in Vancouver. One single player who was able to put the most goals(6) during that competition was a player from Switzerland - Kurashev Phillip. Maybe the Wild organization will pay attention to that player, who is playing now for the club Quebec Remparts.

I just checked elite hockey prospects link and found that Philipp Kurashev was already drafted last year by Chicago Blackhawks. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/279238/philipp-kurashev

We need to look for another one Swiss promising player for our Nino. Definitely, he needs the consistent boost of any producing chemistry for his body. 🙂

30 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I just checked elite hockey prospects link and found that Philipp Kurashev was already drafted last year by Chicago Blackhawks. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/279238/philipp-kurashev

We need to look for another one Swiss promising player for our Nino. Definitely, he needs the consistent boost of any producing chemistry for his body. 🙂

How about getting him some Swiss Miss hot cocoa and playing like his professional hockey contract is paying him?

8 minutes ago, Starofthenorth said:

How about getting him some Swiss Miss hot cocoa and playing like his professional hockey contract is paying him?

Not a bad idea. Anything that will work for boosting- Swiss Miss hot cocoa or just a hot Swiss Miss. 😍

More seriously, I just have heard a rumor at my work that or Nino or Coyle or Ek (one of them) are going to be traded for Duchene. Just a rumor - not official info.  But I have never ever excluded in those even official trades a previous coach-player personal relations for some players which are affecting mentally actual player's stats too ( Stewart, Cullen and etc...). 

38 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

More seriously, I just have heard a rumor at my work that or Nino or Coyle or Ek (one of them) are going to be traded for Duchene. Just a rumor - not official info.  But I have never ever excluded in those even official trades a previous coach-player personal relations for some players which are affecting mentally actual player's stats too ( Stewart, Cullen and etc...). 

I hope that any of Coyle/Nino/Ek going to Ottawa for Duchene is just a rumor.
Granted, I have heard both Nino's and Coyle's name come up as possible trade bait if the Wild decide they are sellers at the deadline, but I would think in doing so, they'd would try to get back a bit younger players...even if those players are in the minors still for the other team.

Duchene and his impending UFA status at a 6M cap hit?
Naw...that sounds like a move for a contender who feels they may be a forward away from putting themselves over the top.
That doesn't describe the Wild at all at this juncture.

Then again, with the track record Minnesota has at the deadline, would I put them past making a move like this? No. I wouldn't.
But it would be unfortunate if they went ahead and did something like that.

Archived