2019 Trade Deadline Transactions and Rumors

hf101

Here's a new discussion topic for Rumors and Transactions in 2019 prior to the Trade Deadline.

Since the Holiday break there have been a few Trades I thought I'd post these up.   Feel free to continue the conversation and add trades and trade rumors prior to the 2019 trade deadline here.

Anaheim Ducks Arizona Coyotes  
Acquire: Acquire:  
Trevor Murphy Giovanni Fiore  

Toronto Maple Leafs Florida Panthers  
Michael Hutchinson 2020 fifth-round draft pick  

Edmonton Oilers Florida Panthers  
Alex Petrovic Chris Wideman  
  2019 third-round draft pick  

Edmonton Oilers Chicago Blackhawks  
Brandon Manning Drake Caggiula  
Robin Norell Jason Garrison  

Vancouver Canucks Ottawa Senators  
Mike McKenna Anders Nilsson  
Tom Pyatt Darren Archibald  
Sixth-round pick (2019)    

St. Louis Blues Anaheim Ducks Winnipeg Jets
Acquire: Acquire: Acquire:
Jared Coreau Future considerations

Jimmy Oligny

December 28, 2018

Since the trade Hutchinson has recorded a shutout for the Leafs,  Nilsson has a loss for the Senators and McKenna was picked up by the Flyers via waivers.   

Brandon Mannings first start was also less than ideal as a -2.

Some players out there in the rumor mill.  as per   https://www.thefourthperiod.com/

Jeff Carter (34)  has some interest from the Predators who are looking to add a top 6 forward.  Some are saying he will retire if not given a say in where he is traded.  The Predators might not be a bad fit imo.

Michael Del Zotto  (28)  is set to become a UFA in July - recently Del Zotto has fallen out of favor with the Canucks and has been sitting in the press box as of late.  

Nicklas Kronwall  (37)   The Maple Leafs are rumored to have interest.  Kronwall owns a 10-team trade-list as part of his no-movement clause, and was coached by current Leafs bench boss Mike Bobcock during his 10-year run in Detroit.

https://www.clnsmedia.com/murphys-hockey-law-bruins-talking-blues-brayden-schenn/

The Blues and Bruins are rumored to be in talks with moving Braydon Schenn  (27), who has 1 more year on his $5.1M contract, to help relieve the 2nd line scoring issues.    Players rumored in return suggested are Danton Heinen, Matt Grzelcyk Peter Cehlarik in Providence.  I would have to think some salary would need to be involved also in return to St Louis.  The Bruins can also be looking to trade Ryan Donato.

https://theathletic.com/750278/2019/01/06/panthers-cant-beat-bobrovsky-so-they-may-go-get-him/

The Panthers are rumored to have interest in acquiring Sergei Bobrovsky who looks to earn $10M with a new contract as they are looking to improving their goaltending.   Luongo has 3 years remaining on his contract and could easily become the back-up.   A trade then would need to be made for  Reimer and his $3.4 million cap hit.

19 minutes ago, hf101 said:

https://www.clnsmedia.com/murphys-hockey-law-bruins-talking-blues-brayden-schenn/

The Blues and Bruins are rumored to be in talks with moving Braydon Schenn  (27), who has 1 more year on his $5.1M contract, to help relieve the 2nd line scoring issues.    Players rumored in return suggested are Danton Heinen, Matt Grzelcyk Peter Cehlarik in Providence.  I would have to think some salary would need to be involved also in return to St Louis.  The Bruins can also be looking to trade Ryan Donato.

I have wondered before whether the Lightning and Blues could make a deal...a one for one swap... JT Miller to St. Louis, Brayden Schenn to Tampa Bay.

They are similar players making similar money, but St. Louis would be getting the younger JT who is under contract for 4 more seasons after this one... $5.25M cap hit, while the Bolts get a very slight short term cap relief with Schenn's $5.1M cap hit, but more importantly for TB, Schenn is under contract for just the one year after this one, and they will need to free up space to pay some upcoming contracts they have now.

Schenn, I believe, would help the Bolts a bit better to win NOW, as he is a bit more experienced and would likely be playing for a big contract even if it isn't with the Lightning in 2020-21.

While St. Louis would be getting a solid play-anywhere type player in JT, the only issue I could see there is, if the Blues really are going to blow things up, then they likely would want younger players than even the 25 yr old JT Miller....and would then want players the Bolts have either in their system or young up n comers on the current roster (Anthoney Cirelli, Mathieu Joseph, Adam Erne, Mikhail Sergachev, Alexander Volkov, or Taylor Raddysh right off the top of my head)… and those are players the Bolts are looking towards to keep their team competitive in the coming years.

Regarding Michael Del Zotto...

I can see how he might be tempting for some teams, however, I also have to wonder...…. WHY is he always a healthy scratch or "fallen out of favor" with whatever coach he plays for?

NY Rangers, Nashville Predators, Philadelphia Flyers, and now Vancouver.

If it happens once or twice, one could say, "Ok, maybe not a good fit"
But that seems to follow him wherever he goes..... at this point, one HAS to think the problem is Del Zotto himself.

Any team looking to perhaps give him a go has to be wary of that.....

I think Nicholas Kronwall would make a nice add for a contender looking to add a rugged bottom pair defenseman.

Nashville, maybe Winnipeg...… Pittsburgh, San Jose, or perhaps even Calgary.

Any of those teams could perhaps provide him with a final shot at winning a Cup...and as long as he stays healthy, he could be tailor made for a long playoff run with someone.

10 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Regarding Michael Del Zotto...

I can see how he might be tempting for some teams, however, I also have to wonder...…. WHY is he always a healthy scratch or "fallen out of favor" with whatever coach he plays for?

NY Rangers, Nashville Predators, Philadelphia Flyers, and now Vancouver.

If it happens once or twice, one could say, "Ok, maybe not a good fit"
But that seems to follow him wherever he goes..... at this point, one HAS to think the problem is Del Zotto himself.

Any team looking to perhaps give him a go has to be wary of that.....

As per Del Zotto, I think yeah he isn't all that.   I think for the most part he was overvalued on the Flyers mainly for lack of a quality defensive core.  

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I have wondered before whether the Lightning and Blues could make a deal...a one for one swap... JT Miller to St. Louis, Brayden Schenn to Tampa Bay.

They are similar players making similar money, but St. Louis would be getting the younger JT who is under contract for 4 more seasons after this one... $5.25M cap hit, while the Bolts get a very slight short term cap relief with Schenn's $5.1M cap hit, but more importantly for TB, Schenn is under contract for just the one year after this one, and they will need to free up space to pay some upcoming contracts they have now.

Schenn, I believe, would help the Bolts a bit better to win NOW, as he is a bit more experienced and would likely be playing for a big contract even if it isn't with the Lightning in 2020-21.

While St. Louis would be getting a solid play-anywhere type player in JT, the only issue I could see there is, if the Blues really are going to blow things up, then they likely would want younger players than even the 25 yr old JT Miller....and would then want players the Bolts have either in their system or young up n comers on the current roster (Anthoney Cirelli, Mathieu Joseph, Adam Erne, Mikhail Sergachev, Alexander Volkov, or Taylor Raddysh right off the top of my head)… and those are players the Bolts are looking towards to keep their team competitive in the coming years.

Honestly, Tampa  should stay far far away from Schenn. He's really not who you want. You're better off with JT. 

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I do not see the Blues blowing things up to the extent of trading Teresenko or Swartz or Pietrangelo?  Or Steen.  Those would be my 4 untouchables.  Why have they not made a move for a real head coach? They are using Berube, interim

• 1 month later...

I'll come up with a link, but it looks like the Buffalo Sabres are going to push for the playoffs after all AND they got a good defenseman for the long term as well.

Apparently, they made a trade in getting Anaheim's D-Brandon Montour, sending prospect defenseman Brendan Guhle and a 1st round pick to the Ducks.

EDIT: from tsn Canada
https://www.tsn.ca/sabres-acquire-d-montour-from-ducks-1.1263153

12 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I'll come up with a link, but it looks like the Buffalo Sabres are going to push for the playoffs after all AND they got a good defenseman for the long term as well.

Apparently, they made a trade in getting Anaheim's D-Brandon Montour, sending prospect defenseman Brendan Guhle and a 1st round pick to the Ducks.

EDIT: from tsn Canada
https://www.tsn.ca/sabres-acquire-d-montour-from-ducks-1.1263153

Wow didn't see that coming. 

Just now, yave1964 said:

Wow didn't see that coming. 

There's an even NUTTIER rumor floating around that Ristolainen might get dealt...especially now that the Sabres have Montour, but the Risto stuff seems like click bait right about now.....I won't post links to that as I see no reason (nor a credible source for it) for Buffalo to trade him. I just think it is very interesting...and like you said, if true, something you don't see coming.

As for Montour, Sabres are getting a decent two way D-man. 
Montour showed flashes of upper pairing guy with the Ducks. Whether he is actually one or not remains to be seen, but I'd rank him above the likes of current Sabres defensemen Bogosian and Scandella, for instance.

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Dreger is looking into why Ceci and Boedker were sat for today's game.
Next players out of Ottawa?

I'm wondering how they will make the cap minimum?

Looks like the Blue Jackets are NOT comfortable making a playoff push with just Korpisalo backing up Bobrovsky….

They pick up the Devils' Keith Kinkaid. 5th rounder is going to NJ.
Reported on NHL Network.

While interesting, if Columbus does make the playoffs, they best HOPE they don't have to use Kinkaid....because that would mean something happened to Bob, and while I think Kinkaid is a decent backup (better than Korp), I would not want to hang my Stanley Cup hopes on him.

TSN Canada link
https://www.tsn.ca/blue-jackets-acquire-g-kinkaid-from-devils-1.1263379

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Looks like the Blue Jackets are NOT comfortable making a playoff push with just Korpisalo backing up Bobrovsky….

They pick up the Devils' Keith Kinkaid. 5th rounder is going to NJ.
Reported on NHL Network.

While interesting, if Columbus does make the playoffs, they best HOPE they don't have to use Kinkaid....because that would mean something happened to Bob, and while I think Kinkaid is a decent backup (better than Korp), I would not want to hang my Stanley Cup hopes on him.

Well Bob has a whopping 5 playoff wins so i don't think they can be sold on either...with them going for it this year it seems that will be a hell of a lot of pressure on Bob...:D

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well Bob has a whopping 5 playoff wins so i don't think they can be sold on either...with them going for it this year it seems that will be a hell of a lot of pressure on Bob...:D

True about Bob....but let's face it..if you are Columbus, despite Bob's past playoff failure, you'd still rather have him over Korpisalo or Kinkaid if you are serious about any kind of run.

Besides, Bob is now playing for a contract...and a BIG one from what I hear. So that should be motivation enough to up his game.
We've all seen what players going for contracts are like.

Bobrovsky is still a very good goalie...when healthy...so maybe this is his year with the Jackets...then bids them adieu in the off season.

Gustav Nyqvist added to the Sharks late last night.

Added scoring for the Sharks is always welcome for them, but they DO need to tighten up the defense and goaltending.
We all know the playoffs is about shutting other teams down and San Jose's ability to do that at times this year is very much in question.

I would think SJ would be after one more defenseman.....and man, Martin Jones BETTER be good....

Archived