Game 43: Flyers at Caps; 1/8/19 @ 7:30

Howie58

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wish they would call some kids up to make some use of these games and let them get some experience...not losing of course get us to the speed and lack of time and space that can be taken away at this level.

I think we'll see this after the trade deadline.

Truly I appreciate that Fletcher hasn't gone all "Trader Chuck" on us.  His patience with this makes me think that whatever moves he makes will have been deliberate and not knee jerk. 

We can debate whether they are the right or wrong moves but at least they will have the appearance of being deliberate. 

I expect this team to look vastly different in mid-February/March

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

His patience with this makes me think that whatever moves he makes will have been deliberate and not knee jerk. 

I keep telling myself that too to soothe my frayed nerves. 

16 minutes ago, brelic said:

There's no reason to have 15 professional franchises sit at home when they could still be generating fan interest and money for the owners. 

Interesting concept, but I kind of think a 1st pick at the draft is not enough to motivate the players, especially when a team is rebuilding and at least some players don't figure into the team's long term plans (not talking about the Flyers specifically, but teams in general).  Also, let's say a team wins the 1st pick and the kid turns out to be a bust.  Could result in some discontent/animosity in the organization.  

36 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Truly I appreciate that Fletcher hasn't gone all "Trader Chuck" on us.  His patience with this makes me think that whatever moves he makes will have been deliberate and not knee jerk. 

Agree.  So happy he didn't make any trades when he first came on board.  This team is beyond quick fixes.

There is absolutely no reason for him to make a trade at the moment.  Season is lost.  Wait until the deadline.  What you can't move then, move at the draft.  Sign RFAs and gear up for UFA.  That should be the game plan.

2 minutes ago, vis said:

Interesting concept, but I kind of think a 1st pick at the draft is not enough to motivate the players, especially when a team is rebuilding and at least some players don't figure into the team's long term plans (not talking about the Flyers specifically, but teams in general).  Also, let's say a team wins the 1st pick and the kid turns out to be a bust.  Could result in some discontent/animosity in the organization.  

Ok, any suggestions on a motivator? 1st pick is motivating for the fan base and ownership... what would motivate the players? 

As for the 1st pick being a bust, well, that's on the team who drafted the player. When you get your pick of the litter and you pick the runt, no one to blame but yourself. 

47 minutes ago, brelic said:

What would motivate the players? 

Money.  Maybe the winning team gets $$$ to divvy up among the players.  Or maybe it's an incentive in the standard player contract.

As for the 1st pick being a bust, well, that's on the team who drafted the player. When you get your pick of the litter and you pick the runt, no one to blame but yourself. 

Yeah, but it can happen.  I feel like Stefan and Yakupov were 1OA locks.  Patrick was touted as 1OA until Hischier kind of blew up late in his draft year following the WJC.

Edited to add: Not only could there be a bust, but the quality of a 10A varies from year to year.  I mean, as fans we bitch about having picked at 2OA in two dud years.  I wonder how the players would react if one year you're playing for McDavid and another year for Stefan (or even Hischier).

1 hour ago, brelic said:

I mean, yes and no. It's no fun that our team is already eliminated for all practical purposes, but that's the way it goes.

I was actually thinking about that a few days ago, and wondering if there's a better way to structure the season so that cellar dwellers have something interesting to play for / offer fans. The Flyers are dead in the water with HALF a season remaining. Surely that isn't fun for anyone.

The lottery is already set up to encourage staying in the basement, so that doesn't help. 

I had mentioned in another thread something about having the #1 overall pick going to the best team not qualifying for the playoffs... and the thinking was to encourage teams to play their arses off until the very end. That's probably too uneven though.

Instead, you could have a run-off for the 15 non-playoff teams. Best non-playoff team gets a bye, and other 14 teams play a single (or best of 3) series. 

Remaining 7 teams + 1 bye team play best of 3 series until one team remains. 

That team gets the #1 overall pick, loser gets #2, previous round losers get #3, #4, etc. 

I mean, it's not perfect, but I see it as a win win. Teams have something to play for, fans have something to cheer for, owners have mini-playoff money coming in the coffers.

There's no reason to have 15 professional franchises sit at home when they could still be generating fan interest and money for the owners. 

Very interesting idea.... i wonder if it could realistically work??

6 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Making trades has nothing to do with giving Myers, Friedman or NAK playing time you can do that without trades.

That is what i'm getting at the same as letting Hart continuing to play on a sinking ship...you're letting him get experience. I hope.

Or maybe they are teaching him how not to win....i kid.....or are they??

Of course they aren't. So if they expect that Hart can learn amongst this shi it storm let some other kids learn too.

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Making trades has nothing to do with giving Myers, Friedman or NAK playing time you can do that without trades.

Calling those guys up means not being able to "showcase"  the people you want to move. ( i do use that term with modest irony)

Waiving a guy is essentially losing him for nothing, adding a guy like Weisse or Weal to a larger deal at least brings back an asset.

Also with regard to LVH there are a lot of injuries down there...if the Flyers call too many guys up, who is left to play ?

7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Calling those guys up means not being able to "showcase"  the people you want to move.

I think there is more than enough film of them playing....badly of course.

Waiving a guy is essentially losing him for nothing

HAHAHAHA.....sorry that made me laugh hard just woke up...so yeah losing them for nothing isn't going to happen and i would do that and staple a $100 bill to their back and wish them bon voyage!!!! Ain't going to happen either.

Maybe Weal...i guess i could see but if he was claimed i would shed zero tears.

Also with regard to LVH there are a lot of injuries down there...if the Flyers call too many guys up, who is left to play ?

They are not decimated by injuries anymore they have guys who can play in their spots.

The only one now out with injuries is Laberge and Rubtsov.

And just like with Hart up playing they will be fine.

Archived