Wild vs. Bruins 1/8/19 @ 6:00PM at TD Banknorth Garden

CreaseAndAssist

Wild vs. Bruins Game Preview

Minnesota Wild (21-17-3)  45pts  5th in the Central

2.90 Goals For Per Game (18th in the NHL)

2.76 Goals Against Per Game (6th in the NHL)

21.8% Power Play (9th in the NHL)

85.1% Penalty Kill (3rd in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #64 Mikael Granlund ~ 12G 27A = 39pts

2. #11 Zach Parise ~ 19G 19A = 38pts

3. #20 Ryan Suter ~ 4G 23A = 27pts

4. #12 Eric Staal ~ 13G 13A = 26pts

5. #46 Jared Spurgeon ~ 7G 17A = 24pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #36 Nick Seeler ~ 39 PIM’s

2. #17 Marcus Foligno ~ 27 PIM’s

3. #29 Greg Pateryn ~ 25 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #40 Devan Dubnyk (16-14-3)  2.56GAA  .915%SP  1SO

2. #32 Alex Stalock (5-3-0)  2.60GAA  .903%SP

Vs.

Boston Bruins (24-14-4)  52pts  3rd in the Atlantic

2.88 Goals For Per Game (18th in the NHL)

2.62 Goals Against Per Game (3rd in the NHL)

27.4% Power Play (4th in the NHL)

80.6% Penalty Kill (12th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #88 David Pastrnak ~ 25G 27A = 52pts

2. #63 Brad Marchand ~ 15G 29A = 44pts

3. #37 Patrice Bergeron ~ 13G 22A = 35pts

4. #46 David Krecji ~ 7G 26A = 33pts

5. #47 Torey Krug ~ 4G 22A = 26pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #63 Brad Marchand ~ 80 PIM’s

2. #48 Matt Grzelcyk ~ 48 PIM’s

3. #14 Chris Wagner ~ 27 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #40 Tuukka Rask (11-8-2)  2.55GAA  .917%SP

2. #41 Jaroslav Halak (13-6-2)  2.36GAA  .926%SP  3SO

I wrote up the game preview, MNSOTA will be on the post gamer.  The Bruins have a killer top line but it drops off quite a bit after that beyond Krecji.  The question is how much energy will the Wild have after grinding out a win last night in Montreal?  The more tape-to-tape passing and the less chasing around for the puck would be to their benefit but who knows.  You know the Bruins are going to come at the Wild hard.  An early goal to kill the crowd and stem some of Boston's likely initial push could be key tonight.  Enjoy and discuss...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wild vs. Bruins Game Preview

I wrote up the game preview, MNSOTA will be on the post gamer.  The Bruins have a killer top line but it drops off quite a bit after that beyond Krecji.  The question is how much energy will the Wild have after grinding out a win last night in Montreal?  The more tape-to-tape passing and the less chasing around for the puck would be to their benefit but who knows.  You know the Bruins are going to come at the Wild hard.  An early goal to kill the crowd and stem some of Boston's likely initial push could be key tonight.  Enjoy and discuss...

Thanks LIG. So far I am the most impressing on Parise  consistent production for our team. After having so many previous traumas (on his back, sternum) and surgeries  he demonstrates his real soldier character for this season (19 goals and 19 assists). We need for other key soldiers of the team to stand up too - Staal, Zucker, Granlund , Nino because  so far they look more depressed and pale. Hope , Stalock will make also a shutout too if he plays tonight. I was surprised, as soon as I mentioned that our goalies haven't any shutouts, the Dubnyk made one yesterday.:thumbsu: And agree, the game would be not an easy one - it is time to play hard all 60 min.

I noticed you didn't say Tape-to-tape-to-tape-to-tape passing. ;) A few less and add a SOG would be nice.

Given they will have a successful road trip, Hopefully that will take off some of the pressure and they can role all 4 lines to conserve energy.

4 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

I noticed you didn't say Tape-to-tape-to-tape-to-tape passing. ;) A few less and add a SOG would be nice.

Given they will have a successful road trip, Hopefully that will take off some of the pressure and they can role all 4 lines to conserve energy.

That would be nice, but we never know how it will turn. A game is a game, teams are different, and a pretty or ugly our win really does not matter, because 2 points are 2 points, which we enormously need. But  I still would prefer ugly wins, because, in my opinion, they help to build against opposite teams the unpredictable team's character.

Bruins defense will provide a test to the will and resolve of the Minnesota Wild offense.

The last several games, the Wild have dealt with teams who were a bit more offensive oriented, maybe some good goaltending, but defensively, a bit wonting.
Not so with the Bruins.

While the Boston may still be sort of a one line team (players after Bergeron-Marchand-Pastranak are ok, but nowhere near elite), their overall defense is structured, responsible, and now, with some of the younger bodies back there, more mobile.

Bruins are one of the stingier teams in the entire league with regards to goals given up and their PK checks in at just over 80%, which means if Tuukka Rask is off, the Wild may have good opportunities and that % can maybe be bumped down a bit.... but if Rask is on, bump that % quite a bit as the combination of layered defense and good goaltending will more than challenge the Wild's PP.

Dumb penalties by Minnesota will HAVE to be kept to a minimum as the Bruins sure know what to do on the PP....rated at a very nice 27%.

On paper, this looks like an awful match up for the Wild...and it might be.
Struggling Min offense against a tough Bos defense.... Bruins good on special teams vs the Wild who can be inconsistent on special teams.... and the Bruins also seem to have a bit better depth throughout their lineup.

But since teams don't play games on paper, I think that if the Wild can stay out of the box, continue putting pressure via SOG (preferably quality shots...not the low level perimeter stuff), capitalize on their own PP chances (which would also help to keep Bruins' aggression low), and play every shift like they are down a goal and need one badly, they just MIGHT be able to crack that tough Bruin defensive armor and pull out a win.

If there was ever a game where some of our smaller speedier players can wake up and be factors once again (Zucker, Granlund), THIS is it!
Jared Spurgeon is doing a good job making things happen from the blue line offensively, he needs to continue that.
Teams with speed WILL give the Bruins some problems, so its why I think Minnesota's smaller faster guys should be bigger factors than the larger bodied individuals.

Wild have won some good games in Eastern buildings they have had trouble in the past....here is another one.
Go Wild!
:wild:   

236315705_VikingSkoool.gif.7b7619c4be0491922444bca9a5b2a0d8.gif

Minnesota Wild at Boston Bruins – 7:00 EST

REFEREES

Reid Anderson #49 Kelly Sutherland #11
  RA49.jpg KS11.jpg
Games 18-19 17 19
Career Games 18 1171
First NHL Game 3/21/18 12/19/00
Birthplace Calgary, AB Richmond, BC
Goals/Gm 5.8 (28) 5.7 (33)
PP/Gm 3.3 (14) 2.6 (37)
Penl/Gm 3.7 (27) 2.9 (38)
PIM/Gm 7.9 (33) 6.0 (38)
% of Penl on Home 53.0% (5) 49.0% (16)
More Penl on Rd % -13.0% (34) 4.0% (22)
Home Win % 67.0% (6) 28.0% (38)
Home Rec. 8-4 5-13
OT/SO Games 17.0% (28) 22.0% (20)
Calls by Period 1st 2nd 3rd 1st 2nd 3rd
2018-19 24% 44% 32% 37% 40% 23%
Team Records 18-19 17-18 16-17 18-19 17-18 16-17
MIN 0-0 0-0 0-0 0-1 3-1 3-3
BOS 0-1 0-0 0-0 1-0 3-1 4-3

LINESMEN

Michel Cormier #76 Jonny Murray #95
  MC76.jpg JM95.jpg
Games 18-19 25 40
Career Games 1035 1178
First NHL Game 10/10/03 10/7/00
Birthplace Trois-Rivieres, QC Beauport, QC

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Man, I know its early, but EEK is already playing with blinders on....

Trying to skate pucks up the boards not even aware some open teammates are available....cmon Ek….pay attention.

Like I said, I’m not holding my breath with EEK. His ceilings at best a 3C. Wasted draft pick. 

LOL...I don't understand why LaPanta and Greenlay are so surprised that Ek can score at almost a PPG in Iowa but can't match that in the NHL....

I thought those two have been around long enough to know, that unless you are an elite player, that transition doesn't work as easily.
And Ek is NOT an elite player....

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

LOL...I don't understand why LaPanta and Greenlay are so surprised that Ek can score at almost a PPG in Iowa but can't match that in the NHL....

I thought those two have been around long enough to know, that unless you are an elite player, that transition doesn't work as easily.
And Ek is NOT an elite player....

Don’t listen to Dumb and Dumber. You’ll lose IQ points by the minute...

Tipped past Stalock.

I can't say I can blame Alex on that goal, but to me, it epitomizes what Alex Stalock is....standard.
He was in position, he should have made the stop...but the Boston player tipped it (and that could have beaten ANY NHL goalie), but some NHL goalies MAYBE pull of the miraculous save....no such thing will be coming from Stalock.

Archived