Coyle

TonyOday

Really good timing for trade bait. But I think he would like to stay here and potential trade isn't what's motivating him.

Tough call, His game is pretty good right now and I've changed my mind on trading him.

At least we could ride it out and have him around for the Seattle draft.

I think it’s easy to overlook the fact that for the last 2 years he has been either injured or recovering from injury. Last year he looked like he might be ok until zucker broke his leg with the slap shot. 

2 hours ago, Tomdog said:

I think it’s easy to overlook the fact that for the last 2 years he has been either injured or recovering from injury. Last year he looked like he might be ok until zucker broke his leg with the slap shot. 

Actually, unfortunately, it was a Spurgeon's shot, which broke the right fibula of Coyle's leg on October 12,2017 during the game against Chicago. We had multiple injuries during that game.

Coyle's the type of player that's 'okay' (nothing more) for about a third of the year. We need ANY player that's 'above average' for a full season.

^That can be said for about half the Wild roster. Which ironically is about as often as players 'tuning out' for 40 minutes a game and not being able to play a full 60 (minutes.)

I would be looking at him as trade bait. We all have seen Coyle for long enough to know that he isn't going to be much more then average at best. He does a lot of flash in the pan moments that maybe another team is willing to bite and give us a more solid player in exchange. I think this is one of his is flash in the pan moments.

I was very ready to see him shipped before this season. And the start to this season wasn't promising. But since we have some other players that don't bring to the table even 50% of what Coyle does... so yeah, I'd keep him now. I can't see anyone able to replace him either.

Here to stay Tony. Maybe better not to torture yourself with the idea he'd pile 60+ points, better just take what he offers and concentrate on other deficits.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:57 PM, IllaZilla said:

I’m so glad the Wild gave up Brent Burns for Chaaahlie Coyle...

C'mon, I know that's tongue in cheek in large part...   You know there's a lot more to the story than that simplistic statement.  Burns is one of my two all time favorite Wild players, I hated t see him go and didn't like the trade, either, but you could certainly see why it was made.

My reaction to Brodin was just like this last no name they drafted - WTF?  WHO?!?

Coyle has been playing outstanding hockey since he was moved back to Center and paired with Parise.  Classic case early this year - Coyle plays with grinders and doesn't score and the brilliant #1 Fans hate on him.   He finally gets to play decent minutes with a decent linemate and he's playing fantastic yet the Haters still say he's just "OK."   Whatever.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:06 PM, rottenrefs said:

Coyle's the type of player that's 'okay' (nothing more) for about a third of the year. 

Coyle has been playing nothing short of excellent with Parise.  Since he was moved to Center after Mikko was hurt by the knee from Giordano, Coyle's been all over the ice, impacting most Wild games positively.   Several games the Parise-Coyle-Nino/Kunin has been by far the best line for the Wild.  Coyle and Parise even made Nino look decent for a few games, something no other Wild players have accomplished this year.

3 hours ago, Fargocase said:

Coyle has been playing nothing short of excellent with Parise.  Since he was moved to Center after Mikko was hurt by the knee from Giordano, Coyle's been all over the ice, impacting most Wild games positively.   Several games the Parise-Coyle-Nino/Kunin has been by far the best line for the Wild.  Coyle and Parise even made Nino look decent for a few games, something no other Wild players have accomplished this year.

Charlie Coyle REALLY should be left at center...whether a 2C or 3C....I've been saying that for a couple seasons now.
He may never be an elite center, but he doesn't HAVE to be....I just feel he is more engaged in the game when playing with the added responsibilities of the center position.

Playing wing was supposed to 'streamline' things for him, allow him to use his size along the boards, and he CAN do that, but he is also a more cerebral player than I think people give him credit for, and that shows through more as a centerman.

31 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Charlie Coyle REALLY should be left at center...whether a 2C or 3C....I've been saying that for a couple seasons now.
He may never be an elite center, but he doesn't HAVE to be....I just feel he is more engaged in the game when playing with the added 

Agreed !...Didn't Coyle say a year or 2 ago that he prefers being on the wing? During that time we were trying both with only real results was on the wing. Great to see this resurgence overall.

4 hours ago, Fargocase said:

So what you might be saying is we try Nino at center now? :P 

One would hope that seeing Coyle start to come alive that Nino would/could do the same. We'd actually have something going on then.

5 hours ago, Fargocase said:

Coyle has been playing outstanding hockey since he was moved back to Center and paired with Parise.  Classic case early this year - Coyle plays with grinders and doesn't score and the brilliant #1 Fans hate on him.   He finally gets to play decent minutes with a decent linemate and he's playing fantastic yet the Haters still say he's just "OK."   Whatever.

No doubt Coyle has shown some really great hockey. And Center is where he should always be. I guess with the past history of him doing so many flash in the pans I worry that is all this will be and he will end up back to the way we normal see him and lost a chance to trade for something more.
Even though I hate the Parise and Suter contracts Parise has been playing out of his mind which is fantastic. I do worry that Coyle is only looking good due to him playing when somebody who is so hot he would be the guy the commentor would say is "On Fire" on NBA Jam! what would Coyle look like playing Center for other guys?

On 1/8/2019 at 6:06 PM, rottenrefs said:

Coyle's the type of player that's 'okay' (nothing more) for about a third of the year. We need ANY player that's 'above average' for a full season.

Your reply

7 hours ago, Fargocase said:

Mikko was injured Dec. 6 and came back Dec. 18. So that puts Coyle at center on Dec. 7. From then until now has been 15 games.

A third of the season is roughly 27 games.

The first 28 games Coyle had 4 goals, 8 assists & 12 points.

In the last 15 games he's had 3 goals, 7 assists & 10 points and he's seeing about the same amount of ice time. Likewise, I agree he's playing better but how long it lasts remains to be seen.

He's still well off the pace of his 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 seasons.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:34 PM, Fargocase said:

I remember Coyle being asked Center or Forward in interviews and I've always heard him say the "right" answer, "I'll play wherever the Coaches want me to play."

Or the "politically correct" answer. Galchenyuk also had the exact same answer in public to the media. But aside, it was more like "I am a f*"king center, so play me at that f**king position right f**king now".

@Villette/Lavaux Exactly. Hockey players interviews are almost 'Templar' like.🤔

More so than any other sport. So controlled and scripted. A few characters here and there like Bryz who just confuse more than inform. :P

It would be fun to be the classic Fly on the wall when say Coyle and Zucker get together and hear what they may say about the team and teammates in general.

@ClusterChuck Yes, at some point I'm wondering if AI will not be used for player interviews in the future. It's always the same formatted answers coming from the same bunch of questions: "We didn't play hard enough", "we have to play 60 minutes", "we need to capitalize on special situations, "we did a good job in winning battles", etc...

Bryz was fun too! I also liked former North Star Todd Elik a lot in his presser, and the end of his career while he was playing in Swtizerland, the journalist asked him: "So Todd, how was the game ?" and he answered "Absolutely terrific! They crushed us 9-3. Do you have another stupid question like that?" and he left like a prince :lol:

I think I recall Charlie literally getting tossed into the boards by Tyler Bertuzzi on Saturday night who not only won that battle for the puck then went back out front and netted a hat trick.  Something Charlie may not EVER do, let lone with the Wild.  

Archived