Game 44: Stars at Flyers; 1/10/19 @ 7

Howie58

19 minutes ago, briere48 said:

if we cant get hughes, now what? are we screwed from winning a cup again?

Chances are very bad that we will get Hughes (or Kakko unless the rankings change and he drops off some). If it happens, great, we hope they can convert their game to the NHL level. Chances are much better that we'll have a 3-5 pick in the draft. We're talking about just that in another thread actually (I forget which one though).

Observations from last night.

- Well hot damn, this Carter Hart kid seems to be for real. Swallowed up every puck he could, always calm and in position. JJ and Jonesy mentioned more than a few times that he reminds them of Price, and I would agree. Technically sound, in control, and makes hard stops look easy. If he can get a good 25-30 NHL games under his belt this year, that's a great training ground for working out the kinks in what has become a lost season.

- Nolan Patrick had his best game in a looooong time. Jonesy echoed exactly what I had been thinking - he looked engaged and more confident with and without the puck. Nothing to show for it on the scoreboard, but he was definitely noticeable. 

- Seriously, when you have two 2 on 1s and a 2 on 0, you gotta score on at least one of them. That's the only reason this game was even still within reach near the end.

So, I'm glad I watched the whole game. After the first, I was kind of iffy because it was a meh period from both teams - just nothing exciting happening. But then it became the Carter Hart show with a side of JVR.

Also JVR, TK, Giroux, and Gudas had great games. 

It's fun to win every 8 games or so.

1 hour ago, briere48 said:

if we cant get hughes, now what? are we screwed from winning a cup again?

I'm just happy in all this mess they have found their goaltender for next year.

Now i hope we can put the Bob to Philly or Quick to Philly rumors to bed.

Let Hart roll with it.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm just happy in all this mess they have found their goaltender for next year.

Now i hope we can put the Bob to Philly or Quick to Philly rumors to bed.

Let Hart roll with it.

yes i agree but i think it's time to put hart back in the ahl and try to tank for hughes, we are not making the playoffs, all these meaningless wins is going to take us out of hughes running.

39 minutes ago, brelic said:

Observations from last night.

- Well hot damn, this Carter Hart kid seems to be for real. Swallowed up every puck he could, always calm and in position. JJ and Jonesy mentioned more than a few times that he reminds them of Price, and I would agree. Technically sound, in control, and makes hard stops look easy. If he can get a good 25-30 NHL games under his belt this year, that's a great training ground for working out the kinks in what has become a lost season.

- Nolan Patrick had his best game in a looooong time. Jonesy echoed exactly what I had been thinking - he looked engaged and more confident with and without the puck. Nothing to show for it on the scoreboard, but he was definitely noticeable. 

- Seriously, when you have two 2 on 1s and a 2 on 0, you gotta score on at least one of them. That's the only reason this game was even still within reach near the end.

So, I'm glad I watched the whole game. After the first, I was kind of iffy because it was a meh period from both teams - just nothing exciting happening. But then it became the Carter Hart show with a side of JVR.

Also JVR, TK, Giroux, and Gudas had great games. 

It's fun to win every 8 games or so.

Great summary.  Despite saying I wasn't going to watch as often, I did tune in about midway through the first and watched for the most part.  Hart is so good.  He is going to be very special (and I don't think I'm overvaluing him! (cross reference to my post in another thread)).  He will get more savvy, learn to read even better than he already does and probably become a little more assertive/competitive around his crease.  Looking forward to his development.

Looked like Patrick had more speed and jump.  He had that nice streak down the left wing side and wristed a shot ticketed for the the far right corner, but the Dallas goalie got a piece of it.  

JVR looked good in the offensive zone.  Thought Gudas played very well.

Honestly, I had mixed feelings about the performance.  It was fun to watch the Flyers play competent, confident hockey.  But, I was reminded that the team should have been much better this season in general and got kind of mad.  And then I thought to myself that finishing in the bottom five and having a good shot to land a top 3 pick is the best outcome for them at this point and I don't want that messed up by them playing well.   So conflicted.

17 minutes ago, vis said:

Great summary.  Despite saying I wasn't going to watch as often, I did tune in about midway through the first and watched for the most part.  Hart is so good.  He is going to be very special (and I don't think I'm overvaluing him! (cross reference to my post in another thread)).  He will get more savvy, learn to read even better than he already does and probably become a little more assertive/competitive around his crease.  Looking forward to his development.

I'm sure Hart's development will be up and down - remember Price's first few years? - but I honestly don't see anything in his game that says he needs more AHL time. 

I think the biggest component for Hart will be the schedule / travel and volume of games / difficult shots he has to face at this level. Price really struggled with his glove the first few years, and Hart has shown in a few cases that he will have to adjust to the NHL pace as well with his glove. 

But based on this (admittedly) small sample, he seems like he belongs in the NHL now with a sound veteran as a mentor. Now, we need to find said mentor. 

17 minutes ago, vis said:

Honestly, I had mixed feelings about the performance.  It was fun to watch the Flyers play competent, confident hockey.  But, I was reminded that the team should have been much better this season in general and got kind of mad.  And then I thought to myself that finishing in the bottom five and having a good shot to land a top 3 pick is the best outcome for them at this point and I don't want that messed up by them playing well.   So conflicted.

I hear ya. I feel the same. Then again, the 3rd period reminded me of how far they still are, because it looked like Dallas was on the PP for the ENTIRE period. The Flyers just couldn't get out of their own zone.

You know, we have 38 points and there are 38 games left. 

The worst teams last year had 62, 67, 70, 71 points. We're on pace for mid-70s, which would have given us the 6-8 overall pick last year.

That means the Flyers will win another 15 games or so and lose a half-dozen in OT/SO. 

I just can't see them being as terrible as they have been the past few weeks over the rest of the season... so may as well enjoy the wins when they come - knowing we can still get a great pick.

11 minutes ago, brelic said:

I'm sure Hart's development will be up and down - remember Price's first few years? - but I honestly don't see anything in his game that says he needs more AHL time. 

I think the biggest component for Hart will be the schedule / travel and volume of games / difficult shots he has to face at this level. Price really struggled with his glove the first few years, and Hart has shown in a few cases that he will have to adjust to the NHL pace as well with his glove. 

But based on this (admittedly) small sample, he seems like he belongs in the NHL now with a sound veteran as a mentor. Now, we need to find said mentor. 

Good points.  Agree that he shouldn't be sent to the AHL, unless he really has a bad time.  I also agree that he has the talent, but the grind is something he will have to learn.  In that regard, whoever they bring in to be his mentor must also be capable of carrying a pretty sizable workload.  I'm not sure it would be good to count on Hart starting 60-65 games next year.  Who in UFA will be available?  I still kind of think Quick would be a good option, but he's probably not suited for a backup role yet.

I hear ya. I feel the same. Then again, the 3rd period reminded me of how far they still are, because it looked like Dallas was on the PP for the ENTIRE period. The Flyers just couldn't get out of their own zone.

True, but Dallas was in total offense mode.  They were pressing all over.  That's not normal game conditions.

I just can't see them being as terrible as they have been the past few weeks over the rest of the season... so may as well enjoy the wins when they come - knowing we can still get a great pick.

I do think the last few weeks were a bit of an aberration and I agree that it's a bit unrealistic to finish in the bottom spot.  I just don't want them to slip above the bottom (top?) 7 or 8.  Will also be interesting to see how they fare after the trade deadline.  Simmonds and Raffl should be gone.  Possibly Voracek and Ghost.  Maybe Folin if anyone wants him.  If all those players are gone, depending on what they get back, finishing in the bottom (top?) 3 or 4 is a strong possibility.  Though, I imagine other teams in a similar position are going to be selling hard.  There actually could be some interesting names moving at the deadline.

1 hour ago, vis said:

Good points.  Agree that he shouldn't be sent to the AHL, unless he really has a bad time.  I also agree that he has the talent, but the grind is something he will have to learn.  In that regard, whoever they bring in to be his mentor must also be capable of carrying a pretty sizable workload.  I'm not sure it would be good to count on Hart starting 60-65 games next year.  Who in UFA will be available?  I still kind of think Quick would be a good option, but he's probably not suited for a backup role yet.

So looking at the list of UFA goalies, there are quite a few that would fit the bill, actually. I'd rather try for one of those guys first before trading away assets.

Bob, Varlamov, Smith, Howard, Talbot, Ward, Nilsson, Lehner, Kinkaid... 

1 hour ago, vis said:

I do think the last few weeks were a bit of an aberration and I agree that it's a bit unrealistic to finish in the bottom spot.  I just don't want them to slip above the bottom (top?) 7 or 8.  Will also be interesting to see how they fare after the trade deadline.  Simmonds and Raffl should be gone.  Possibly Voracek and Ghost.  Maybe Folin if anyone wants him.  If all those players are gone, depending on what they get back, finishing in the bottom (top?) 3 or 4 is a strong possibility.  Though, I imagine other teams in a similar position are going to be selling hard.  There actually could be some interesting names moving at the deadline.

Good point - this team will probably look quite different after the deadline. 

For one, Morin should be in the lineup. And whatever holes are created from trades could be filled from LHV, barring a major trade for a roster player. 

I'd really like to keep Gudas around. Assuming we can get rid of MacDud at the end of the season by whatever means necessary, our blueline is still overstocked. Something has to give, so a youngin' could get moved.

Provo/Sanheim

Ghost/Gudas

Hagg/Morin

Myers

Maybe Gudas, Hagg, and Morin are too many similar guys to have in the lineup? But who would you move?

ufagoalies.JPG

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

So looking at the list of UFA goalies, there are quite a few that would fit the bill, actually. I'd rather try for one of those guys first before trading away assets.

Bob, Varlamov, Smith, Howard, Talbot, Ward, Nilsson, Lehner, Kinkaid... 

Tough call.  If we are talking mentor, I think that means someone who is willing to accept a backup role and be a good team player.  Would also be nice to find someone who plays a similar style to Hart.  Based on that, I think I'd prefer Jimmy Howard from that group.  Not sure how inclined the Wings are to resign him or what kind of interest he could garner in UFA, but I think he fits the bill.  I'm sure he will get interest as a starter, though.  I'm sure Bob will get a starter job.  Not sure about Varlamov as a starter and not sure how good of a mentor he'd be.  Does Ward interest anyone?  Not sure how I feel about bigger guys like Smith or Lehner, or even Kinkaid.  Talbot has not been good this year.

For one, Morin should be in the lineup. And whatever holes are created from trades could be filled from LHV, barring a major trade for a roster player. 

I was just thinking about Morin.  Been a while since we have heard anything about him.  What is his timetable?

I'd really like to keep Gudas around.

He's been ok this year, his contract is reasonable and I do like the physicality.  I also think he is the closest thing to a leader on defense that they have.  For all of those reasons, he may garner some trade interest at the deadline.  I'm not opposed to trading him, but not for nothing.

Assuming we can get rid of MacDud at the end of the season by whatever means necessary, our blueline is still overstocked. Something has to give, so a youngin' could get moved.

MacDonald could even get dealt at the deadline.  One way or another, he needs to move on.

I can see Ghost getting dealt because I think he nets a nice return.  Maybe Hagg moves in a deadline deal.  I'm not sure there's going to be a lot of interest in Morin.

4 hours ago, brelic said:

So looking at the list of UFA goalies

Just so you know looking at the list you posted the ages aren't right. They are all a year older. No biggie.

Of that list i would might take a run at Talbot who will 32 by the start of the season.

Bob has an attitude issue and we know he doesn't like sharing the net.

Not a good example for Hart.

Varlamov i think resigns in Colorado.

So my next guy might be Kinkaid....maybe.

And not to bring Rick around but i am wondering if Miller wouldn't be a good backup even at his advanced age.

And then they could bring Elliott back but it seems he is falling a part and i would maybe just move on.

Wonder if they bring Stolie back to tandem with Hart?

4 hours ago, vis said:

What is his timetable?

Last report i seen the first week of February.

4 hours ago, vis said:

MacDonald could even get dealt at the deadline.

From your post to God's eyes..... 

Archived