A Take on the Wayne Train

Howie58

8 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Kapanen is alright. I don't know that he's any better than tweeners we have currently (Lindblom, Vorobyev, Laughton, etc). He'd essentially take Simmer's spot on the 3rd line, which is fine, but it doesn't feel like it would be a huge improvement.

He is a better goal scorer than the guys you just mentioned easily.

His 15 goals this year would bebe tied for second to only Coots 16.

He and Oskar are the same age Kapanen is two weeks older.

And the more and more it seems Nylander plays the better the Leafs draft pick will be...talk about a jinx.

And i would eventually like to move Jake so he could bump up to 2nd line minutes.

12 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I feel like we should be able to get better than that elsewhere if we're to trade Ghost away.

Maybe but hard to say with hearing any whispers of anything. They don't have to move Ghost now.

But regardless i do want them to move Wayne.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This works.  Gudas has played decently, if unspectacularly.   

Hagg is the kind of player but probably doesn't have enough time in to be attractive enough for Kappy and a 1st (even with Simmonds).  Plus, I really don't want to trade Hagg.

If Gudas and Simmonds gets it done, I pull the trigger.

It would give Simmer and Gudas to each score a goal vs the Flyers when they play. :hyper:

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He is a better goal scorer than the guys you just mentioned easily.

His 15 goals this year would bebe tied for second to only Coots 16.

He and Oskar are the same age Kapanen is two weeks older.

I think he probably is a better scorer than those guys. I'm not sure he's a huge improvement, but he would likely be an improvement. And I agree about moving Jake. I somehow doubt Fletch will do it though. He should, but I'm sceptical.

I'm still not sure I'd move Ghost for him. I do think there would be a lot of interest for someone like Ghost, and I think we could do better than Kapanen. If not at the deadline, then perhaps in the off season. I think plenty of teams will look at his prior play and salivate. The whole team is crap this year after all, not just him. I'd honestly not move him either, except that I think he's holding Sanheim back.

As you say though, I would consider it if the main piece going to TO was Simmonds+. It sounds like TO is looking mostly for a dman mind you, which could be Simmonds and Gudas maybe. I'd consider something like that for say Kapanen and a first.

That said, Simmonds would be a clear rental in this case. TO can't afford him for any amount of time, and it doesn't feel like the kind of signing they would choose. It would be a win-now type of move with little to no future upside. Would Dubas make such a move? I don't know. He's never really had to before, but the team has never been this good before either, so who knows.

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And the more and more it seems Nylander plays the better the Leafs draft pick will be...talk about a jinx.

Yeah maybe, but the team is far too talented to play so poorly. They're still very much a contender imo. I wouldn't peg them as favourites over some of the heavier hitters like TB, but I do think they have enough talent to make a run -- not to mention the right coaching. I'd hate to be the first round team that underestimates them due to a mediocre second half of the season.

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

Yeah maybe, but the team is far too talented to play so poorly.

20-8-0 without Willy.

And 9-9-2 since......losing to the Yotes the other night 4-2.

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

I'm still not sure I'd move Ghost for him. I do think there would be a lot of interest for someone like Ghost, and I think we could do better than Kapanen.

All true and my gut tells me that now that they have Hart to lead them in goal and after reading Fletcher's comments about this being a good team...don't be surprised if they don't do anything except maybe move the UFAs and Weise.

I mean they could and if they did that i would like for them to buy out Mcdud and go find a better vet to lead this young D core.

I could also see them not letting Morin play till after the deadline and the rosters are set for the playoff and waivers are no longer required.

37 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe you could do a one for one trade Hagg for Kappy??

I think Weise, Lehtera and Old MacDonald for Kappy Jr. could get it done. Leafs would acquire the veteran leadership and heavy bodies that Hakstol loved so much. Plus Lehtera could move more snow up in Toronto.....

The leafs are looking for toughness to go against Boston in the playoffs. In particular they are looking  for a physical right handed dman and are also want a physical scoring winger. Gudas has had a good season on a horrible team.Simmonds is also on the upswing with his play lately. We have exactly what they want , no other team is as good of a fit for a trade. As someone suggested , Gudas and Simmonds for Kapenan and a first  or another top prospect is a fair trade. If  another team drives up the bidding , then Toronto would have to pay more. We have exactly the players they need to go up against Boston and they know it. 

14 hours ago, intheslot said:

You would be trading any gritty p[layers that they have ..

Can't win with nothing but fluff,,,

Need someone who will get their noses dirty ...

I M O 

I absolutely agree, but you're not going to get that in a Simmonds trade.  Because that desire would be the reason someone would be trading for Simmonds (i.e., they have a good team but are looking to add grit).  So you use him to get skill and go find grit elsewhere. Like Morin, hopefully.  Or in a trade for someone else.  

But I do think any trade involving Simmonds won't have grit coming back.  Because if the other team had it, they wouldn't be trading for Simmonds.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

But I do think any trade involving Simmonds won't have grit coming back.

Or IF you do, it will be a kid who is far from being ready yet to play that role or display that asset now and that said team will be needing that NOW for their playoff run.

I think the Jets could use Simmerto haven't seen them mentioned much...he would make a nice addition...

Kyle ConnorMark ScheifeleBlake Wheeler

Patrik LaineBryan LittleWayne Simmonds

Nikolaj EhlersAdam LowryBrandon Tanev

Mathieu PerreaultAndrew CoppMason Appleton

That would be a formidable forward group to go against the Preds or Flames.....what jay you??

So i would be open to this...

Wayne Simmonds for Jack Roslovic and a pick.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Or IF you do, it will be a kid who is far from being ready yet to play that role or display that asset now and that said team will be needing that NOW for their playoff run.

I think the Jets could use Simmerto haven't seen them mentioned much...he would make a nice addition...

Kyle ConnorMark ScheifeleBlake Wheeler

Patrik LaineBryan LittleWayne Simmonds

Nikolaj EhlersAdam LowryBrandon Tanev

Mathieu PerreaultAndrew CoppMason Appleton

That would be a formidable forward group to go against the Preds or Flames.....what jay you??

So i would be open to this...

Wayne Simmonds for Jack Roslovic and a pick.

Oh, absolutely. I actually mentioned thir is another thread, but it was in a post that also suggested the kid from Nashville. Nashville got more play. I also mentioned Connor, who of course also got more reaction. 

Yeah, I'd do this. I think the Jets make sense. 

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I actually mentioned thir is another thread, but it was in a post that also suggested the kid from Nashville. Nashville got more play

This could play to the Flyers advantage...to play these two teams against each other...which team wants to not get involved or pony up would have to face the other with Simmer on it...it would help increase Wayne's value.

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Nashville got more play.

Speaking of which now that i look at their lineup they are pretty solid along the RW.

They have Viktor ArvidssonAustin WatsonCraig SmithRocco GrimaldiMiikka Salomaki

So unless you are taking one of those back they really don't need Simmer.

Of those Craig Smith back wouldn't be that bad. Signed for next year at 4.25 mill.

But i would rather take one of their prospects back maybe. Give me Tolvanen or Fabbro  

And if the Flames wanted to get in on the Simmer trade i guess Sam Bennett would be a nice return.

I like Michael Stone as a nice right hand vet for the blueline but he has been out for a while dealing with blood clot issues.

Maybe they don't an to part with Bennett. I guess i would ask for Juuso Valimaki or Rasmus Andersson back.

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Speaking of which now that i look at their lineup they are pretty solid along the RW.

They have Viktor ArvidssonAustin WatsonCraig SmithRocco GrimaldiMiikka Salomaki

So unless you are taking one of those back they really don't need Simmer.

Of those Craig Smith back wouldn't be that bad. Signed for next year at 4.25 mill.

But i would rather take one of their prospects back maybe. Give me Tolvanen or Fabbro  

Yeah, the kids you mention is who I would target. But your thought about RW is on point. 

Similarly, while the Jets could definitely use Simmonds for a run, you have to think he's a rental. They can't afford him at what he'll want to play 3rd line behind Wheeler and Laine. I wonder if that dampens the return. I don't know.  If they think they can win it, maybe they can do it. 

I can't look at the moment, but Calgary needs grit. What do they look like at RW other than Lindblom? Do they have decent pieces coming back? 

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And if the Flames wanted to get in on the Simmer trade i guess Sam Bennett would be a nice return.

I like Michael Stone as a nice right hand vet for the blueline but he has been out for a while dealing with blood clot issues.

Maybe they don't an to part with Bennett. I guess i would ask for Juuso Valimaki or Rasmus Andersson back.

Lol I wrote before I read this. 

33 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Wheeler and Laine.

Well Laine plays on the LW.

Who knows maybe Wayne take a discount to be closer to his home one provence over in Ontario.

Tanev is a UFA and they will have 23 mill to play with next year.

They do have to weight that option to take a run this year.

Trouba and Laine (RFAs) do need new contracts too. Tyler Myers is a UFA.

So yeah he could be a rental....but the window is open now.

So if you think about it with only 23 mill to get the 3 big ones signed Myers, Trouba and Laine they might want to move out some salary to get some kids on entry level deals to help. Or some economical deals like Gudas or Hagg for Trouba too.

Simmer and Hagg for Trouba and a ???

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well Laine plays on the LW.

Since when?  He's always been a right winger, but you're right, he's playing on the left on the second line. I wonder if that's why his production is off. 

19 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Since when?  He's always been a right winger, but you're right, he's playing on the left on the second line. I wonder if that's why his production is off. 

Maybe he has just been playing his off wing with Ehlers hurt .

Their 2nd line is Laine at LW Little and center and Rosolvic at RW.

40 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe he has just been playing his off wing with Ehlers hurt .

Yeah, I saw that. I had to go look it up when I saw your post before answering "nuh-uh!" and looking like (more of) an idiot (than usual). 

I think you're right about Ehlers.  

I think even when Ehlers is back, this makes sense, even as a rental. 

Trouba. I'm not a fan. Skillwise, sure. I just think he's a jerk. 

I'd rather the forward and a first. I don't know that you get a first if Trouba is involved unless it's conditional on whether the Flyers are able to sign him. 

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Trouba. I'm not a fan. Skillwise, sure. I just think he's a jerk.

With the pending cap issues and them needing to resign Myers and Laine (who could get Eichel money at least) won't be a lot left for Myers and Trouba.

So regardless of the Simmer possible acquisition, if it were to happen they could decide to move Touba before the deadline.

They would still have Buff, Myers, Morrissey, Morrow, Kulikov, Chiarot and Sami Niku stashed in the AHL for depth reasons.

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I was a pretty big Bennett trade fan not so long ago, but I'm starting to worry about him honestly. Granted, I don't follow the Flames, but part of me feels like he should have shown more of his promise by now. 

I'm not saying I wouldn't trade for him. I just wouldn't want to overspend for sure.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Laine typically plays on the right. He was recently shifted to the LW just to try and get him going a bit, but the jury's out on whether he'll keep that position for the long haul.

Archived