Game 45: Flyers at Devils; 1/12/19 @ 1

Howie58

Greetings:

There is no good betting line on the game, which might be expected given the poor play of both teams. That said, NJ is good at home and Keith Kincaid has been a Flyer killer:

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/1-12-2019/philadelphia-vs-new-jersey-prediction-6972/

We are 1-4 in our last five at Prudential, which doesn't inspire confidence:

https://www.thesportsgeek.com/nhl/flyers-vs-devils-nhl-pick-january-12th-prediction-2019/

Projected Lines (Subject to change)

FLYERS 

25 James van Riemsdyk- 28 Claude Giroux - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 19 Nolan Patrick -17 Wayne Simmonds
12 Michael Raffl - 44 Phil Varone - 22 Dale Weise

9 Ivan Provorov - 6 Travis Sanheim
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 3 Radko Gudas
8 Robert Hägg - 26 Christian Folin

79 Carter Hart
[56 Mike McKenna]

Scratches: 15 Jori Lehterä (healthy), 47 Andrew MacDonald (lower body), 41 Anthony Stolarz (IR, lower body), 30 Michal Neuvirth (lower body), 37 Brian Elliott (IR, lower body), 10 Corban Knight (IR, collarbone), 5 Sam Morin (ACL surgery).

DEVILS

63 Jesper Bratt - 13 Nico Hischier - 21 Kyle Palmieri
44 Miles Wood - 19 Travis Zajac - 20 Blake Coleman 
56 Blake Pietila - 11 Brian Boyle - 58 Kevin Rooney 
43 Brett Seney - 37 Pavel Zacha - 18 Drew Stafford

6 Andy Greene -28 Damon Severson
45 Sami Vatanen - 16 Steven Santini
8 Will Butcher - 12 Ben Lovejoy

1 Keith Kinkaid / 29 Mackenzie Blackwood (questionable)/ [33 Cam Johnson]

Scratches: 23 Stefan Noesen (healthy), 25 Mirco Mueller (healthy), 74 Egor Yakovlev (healthy), 9 Taylor Hall (IR, lower body), 29 Mackenzie Blackwood (IR, lower-body, questionable), 35 Cory Schneider (IR, core muscle strain), 49 Joey Anderson (IR, ankle).

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

Another game against a backup goalie! 

Never heard of Mackenzie Blackwood before, I’m sure we’ll all know his name after today’s shutout of the Flyers :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Mackenzie was the top North American goalie ranked in the 2015 draft.  Selected in the 2nd round by the Devils at #42.

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

Never heard of Mackenzie Blackwood before, I’m sure we’ll all know his name after today’s shutout of the Flyers :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

He was the goalie for our junior team for 3 years. I always thought he had potential (certainly the size) to be an NHL starter. He's still only 22 which isn't old by goalie standards.

3 hours ago, Samifan said:

He is their Carter Hart was a 2nd round pick the year before the Flyers took Hart. He is going to be a good one.

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

Game half over...Zzzzzzzz. As usual no offensive creativity, no ability to finish and no puck luck.

WTF is with Sanheim with this terrible turnover???

giphy.gif

And then a terrible weak ass play by Coots getting beat for the GWer. Man tell that guy to use his body and stop with the stick check!

Just a lazy typical of this season play by Coots. And it's why they are scrapping the bottom.

Lose for Hughes Kakko!!!

Fly Eagles Fly

:beer:

Well, it looks like I didn't miss anything new.  These two goalies will probably meet each other a lot in the future. Apparently our shooting was plentiful but meaningless.  On to the Wild.....

@Howie58 that’s a usual m.o.  sure a bunch of shots look good for the other goalies stats but if you’re not really testing him then there isn’t much substance beyond that. Much like this game: it’s nice to look back and see we only lost by one but we had several PP opportunities to get back in the game and came up empty. Scoring with 2 seconds left in the game to finish within 1 goal looks like it was close in the box score but didn’t really give us a chance to tie the game. Just like the last game. 

our strategy hasn’t changed much coach to coach. Our pp is stagnant and boring. It’s 4 guys standing still. Other teams must love when we go on the pp bc they don’t have to move much either. Yet our pp coach who apparently has few ideas beyond an average HS teams power play, has job immunity. I think we can all say we have more talent than is being utilized on our anemic pp but it’s the same ass **** every time and it’s costing us games. Maybe that’s good if we’re focused on draft position. But where is the accountability on Knoblach?

6 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

But where is the accountability on Knoblach?

Hasn't been all season. 

At this point i suggest stop watching the games like i did a few weeks ago.

The front office has already written off this year.

I think they are keeping the staff together because the reality is someone has to do it for the rest of the year.

I think they ride it out and clean house.

I think Gordon will be out the door too and Huffman and Murray will coach the Phantoms.

Flyers in sole possession of last overall again (yay?). 

Couturier summed it up best with a Captain Hindsight observation yesterday, “There’s clearly something wrong here.”

I mean, it would be hard to imagine that they believe the playoffs are a thing. So they have to go through the motions for another 36 games or so.

Why not experiment? Give Sanheim and Hagg top pair minutes and roles, drop the others guys lower to see if it jump starts their game. Give Patrick an extended look between G and JVR / TK. Let Coots work with Lindblom and Voracek.

Give Patrick, Ghost, TK, and Lindblom an extended look on the PK. 

Give both PPs a radical overhaul. PP1 - G, Patrick, Sanheim, JVR, TK. PP2 - Jake, Ghost, Simmer, Oskar, Varone. 

This is is the time to do it without the pressure and expectations of winning and playoffs. The coach is interim, the GM is brand new, the roster will change a lot, and the playoffs are a distant memory.

Hopefully a few of these experiments pay off and they can go into next season with a fresh coach and a new perspective on who can do what. 

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think Gordon will be out the door too and Huffman and Murray will coach the Phantoms.

Yeah? I don't watch LHV much, but wasn't it pretty decent in that league? I feel like he should at least have his old job back. Most people are not NHL level coaches after all. He tried and hasn't had success, but frankly he hasn't been given a very good hand to work with either.

It's possible the players are adjusting to his system after several years of Hak, or that he hasn't been around long enough to adjust to the NHL, and it's possible the team he's coaching is just not a great team. As is generally the case, the truth is probably somewhere in between those things.

Again though, I don't watch LHV. I believe you do, so you'd be in a better position than me to judge his coaching ability. If he was poor there too, then I can see where you're coming from for sure.

9 hours ago, elmatus said:

I don't watch LHV much, but wasn't it pretty decent in that league?

Yeah but remember they have two good ol boys down there now with Huffman and Murray now.

So i think they move on from him. I could be wrong but i feel they do.

Archived