Stars and Ducks make unusual deal

yave1964

First the particulars.

The Ducks in the midst of an 11 game tailspin that has saw them fall out of a playoff position made a 'do something, anything' deal with the Dallas Stars, who have had their own issues of late. Devin Shore went to Anaheim and veteran Andrew Cogliano was shipped to Dallas.

Both have plusses, Cogliano is the very definition of a hard checking third liner who can score a bit and play both wings, solid at both ends and can kill penalties and never misses a shift with speed to burn. Shore brings youth (aged 24) to an aging Ducks forward group and can play either wing as well as center and looks like a third liner as well.

The unusual? The two teams are likely to be in a dog fight for a final playoff spot in the West, it is unusual for two teams fighting for the same playoff spot to make a deal with each other. If Dallas or Anaheim make the playoffs and either Cogs or Shore is a key contributor to the stretch run, one GM will look really smart and the other really dumb. Inter conference trades between teams fighting for a playoff spot are a rare thing.

I saw this story on NHL dot com, and while it certainly isn't a big deal trade, what struck me about it was the fact that it really felt like it was "moving furniture around"..... and ending up with the same thing, but in a different formation.

That is to say, looking at the numbers (and even in looking at the two players...yes, I have caught a few Dallas games this year....SOMEBODY has to watch them..their fans certainly aren't showing up for games...and have caught some Ducks games because, well, they USED to be sorta exciting), basically it seems these are the exact same player...except Shore is about 7 years younger than Cogliano.

The assessment that they are third line at best guys seems about right...although Shore still has the opportunity to try and make more of himself, even if just a bit, at age 24, as opposed to Cogliano, who, at 31, is who he is already.
So based on age and cap hit (Cogs is over 3M, Shore under 3M), I'd just go ahead and give the nod to Anaheim here.

Hey, its a small win for them.

And when you haven't won damned thing in about a month, that, at least, is something.

As for one player biting the other team in the butt, well, maybe....but these players are hardly the types that will be game changers (again, only if Shore really steps up), and since there are other teams involved in that chase for the last spot (Minnesota and Colorado are in there as well), to me, it is NOT as black n white as "this guy for that guy...and one will be the difference maker".

No...if Anaheim or Dallas are to make it in (and they BOTH still might...or both be out, take yer pick), it will be their game BREAKERS that will be the difference...whether on offense, defense or in goal.
It would help, in Anaheim's case, to actually get the 3 quarters of the team they are missing though.

In Dallas' case, it might be helpful if the CEO of the Dallas Stars quits throwing his star players under the bus and alienating them.....just sayin...

Archived