Mike Green quietly having a hell of a year

yave1964

Nobody is talking about Mike Green and the season he is having but hthe effect on the Wings when he is in the lineup versus out is staggering.

He missed the start of the year recovering from a blood virus that led to serious fatigue, he appeared in his first game on October 26th, by then the Wings were dead and buried starting the year a league worst 1-7-2. After Green came back into the lineup they turned the corner, going 13-7-3 with Green in the lineup before he was lost to injury again this time his foot, the Wings again could not play without him in the lineup going 2-8-3. 

The overall breakdown of the Wings with and without Green in the lineup:

WITH: 14-8-3 79 goals 3.2 goals per game. 

WITHOUT 3-15-4 54 goals 2.4 goals per game.

To take it a step further, he has 17 points in his 25 games played, in the games that he scores the Wings are 10-2-1. 

Green allows youngsters such as the talented Cholowski and Hronek to develop with Green as their safety net, both kids have offensive upside but without him in the lineup they press too much and other teams can take advantage of their youth. Green forces other teams to adjust to him being on the ice allowing the kids better matchups.

He is having a quietly brilliant season, from the blueline the team is just under a goal a game better with him in, taking his 25 games he has played, if he had managed to be on the ice for all 47 games and maintain the same winning pace the Wings would be a playoff team right now.

just thought he deserved some recognition and props for the outstanding season he is having and the effect he has on those around him. He clearly makes the Wings go.

@yave1964 

I was just saying the very same thing to my brother after last game, though I included DDK in the discussion also, as he contributed 2 good assists in his first game back. I do think you can single Green out a bit more, but DDK’s contributions don’t always show on the scoresheet.

But the difference between the Red Wings as a whole when we have any or all of our top 3 veteran D-men on the ice is obvious. Without them, at times we are just plain awful, especially defensively. How many stupid, easy giveaway goals did we allow in their absence? Even in some games where we otherwise played pretty well?

The biggest difference I see is that we are not giving up multiple easy goals. When we spot opposing teams 2-3 goals, even if we play great hockey, odds are we are losing those games...and we DID!

It’s really about structure. Green and DDK help maintain a structure that allows more chance-taking, because there is someone else behind you in case there’s a steal. For a young offense like we have, that’s critical, because youth, even Larkin—who is without a doubt our best skater on most nights—will make bad judgment calls as they learn to adapt to the pace of the NHL game. The importance of this cannot be overestimated.

And the offensive numbers just reflect that in addition to Green’s deft playmaking ability. He is our best D-man, and the most critical difference between when we have gone 1-7-2 and when we have competed like a low-seed playoff team.

And of our best players, he’s the one we should hang onto the most. I don’t think I want him dealt at the deadline. We need him as these kids figure out who they are, and as the Wings organization figures out what they really have in them.

@SpikeDDS

Agreed I believe he has a full no move put into his contract. 

Yeah, I love the kid defenseman, Hronek and Cholo but it takes longer for a defenseman to develop in the nhl and learn the nuances of the game than it does for a forward. Green, Dekeyser and Daley are a wonderful safety net. I hate to live in the world of what ifs but with the forwards having a collective solid season, if the back end could have stayed healthy, who knows what this season might have been?

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

@SpikeDDS

I hate to live in the world of what ifs but with the forwards having a collective solid season, if the back end could have stayed healthy, who knows what this season might have been?

No doubt! Had they stayed healthy—even 2 of the 3—I would have been eating my own words on my preseason expectations for this team. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2019 at 5:20 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Detroit Red Wings defenseman Mike Greenwill miss the rest of the season because of a lingering virus

Yeah, this is the same virus that had him out at the beginning of the season. He has been dealing with it all season, and still had an impressive year, being the Wings' best D-man, and arguably the team's most impactful player, especially in terms of how they fared with vs. without him. Night and day difference. The virus is taking its toll, and since the season is practically over, they want to rid him of it so that he can work out this summer in prep for next season.

Archived