Wild vs. Kings 1/15/19 @ 7:00 PM CST at the X on NBCSports

CreaseAndAssist

Wild vs. Kings Game Preview

Minnesota Wild (22-20-3)  47pts  5th in the Central

2.84 Goals For Per Game (21st in the NHL)

2.91 Goals Against Per Game (14th in the NHL)

22.3% Power Play (8th in the NHL)

84.5% Penalty Kill (4th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #11 Zach Parise ~ 19G 22A = 41pts

2. #64 Mikael Granlund ~ 12G 27A = 39pts

3. #12 Eric Staal ~ 13G 16A = 29pts

4. #20 Ryan Suter ~ 5G 24A = 29pts

5. #9 Mikko Koivu ~ 6G 21A = 27pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #36 Nick Seeler ~ 39 PIM’s

2. #17 Marcus Foligno ~ 31 PIM’s

3. #29 Greg Pateryn ~ 29 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #40 Devan Dubnyk (17-16-3)  2.71GAA  .911%SP  1SO

2. #32 Alex Stalock (5-4-0)  2.77GAA  .896%SP

Vs.

Los Angeles Kings (18-25-3)  39pts  8th in the Pacific

2.26 Goals For Per Game (31st in the NHL)

2.96 Goals Against Per Game (17th in the NHL)

14.3% Power Play (27th in the NHL)

74.3% Penalty Kill (30th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #11 Anze Kopitar ~ 13G 18A = 31pts

2. #23 Dustin Brown ~ 11G 15A = 26pts

3. #8 Drew Doughty ~ 4G 21A = 25pts

4. #19 Alex Iafallo ~ 10G 12A = 22pts

5. #77 Jeff Carter ~ 9G 13A = 22pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #13 Kyle Clifford ~ 35 PIM’s

2. #6 Jake Muzzin ~ 31 PIM’s

3. #9 Adrian Kempe ~ 30 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #32 Jonathan Quick (8-11-2)  2.85GAA  .904%SP  2SO

2. #36 Jack Campbell (5-9-0)  2.21GAA  .930%SP  1SO

Sorry for the late publishing of this.  I got it ready to go this morning but forgot to post it here.  MNSOTA wrote up the game preview, I will be on the post-gamer this evening.  I have zero idea what to expect from this team.  If they lose this one...and look bad / tired / lazy...you might see a lynch mob make its way to the X tonight.  Enjoy and discuss...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m watching on NBC since I’m out of the area and even they are giving props to suter. Granted I’m a newby in watching hockey and trying to understand the game in detail, but I get frustrated with #20 not checking, not keeping the puck in the zone, lazy skating, etc. I think maybe he does things I don’t notice or can’t appreciate since I’ve never played and then I think he’s just over hyped. So can you all help me understand what the fuss is all about? Why does he get the attention and the $$$? 

Tonight's Pork - O'Rourke

Los Angeles Kings at Minnesota Wild – 8:00 EST

REFEREES

Corey Syvret #42 Dan O’Rourke #9
  CS42.jpg DO09.jpg
Games 18-19 15 42
Career Games 16 1103
First NHL Game 4/4/18 10/2/99
Birthplace Millgrove, ON Calgary, AB
Goals/Gm 6.5 (9) 6.0 (24)
PP/Gm 3.5 (5) 3.4 (8)
Penl/Gm 4.5 (2) 4.3 (6)
PIM/Gm 10.7 (5) 10.0 (7)
% of Penl on Home 44.0% (36) 48.0% (20)
More Penl on Rd % 25.0% (3) 7.0% (17)
Home Win % 63.0% (8) 68.0% (5)
Home Rec. 5-3 17-8
OT/SO Games 63.0% (1) 16.0% (30)
Calls by Period 1st 2nd 3rd 1st 2nd 3rd
2018-19 22% 35% 43% 27% 45% 28%
Team Records 18-19 17-18 16-17 18-19 17-18 16-17
LAK 0-0 0-0 0-0 0-2 5-1 1-4
MIN 1-0 0-0 0-0 0-1 1-4 2-2

LINESMEN

Shandor Alphonso #52 Steve Barton #59
  SA52.jpg SB59.jpg
Games 18-19 42 33
Career Games 286 1175
First NHL Game 10/17/14 11/1/00
Birthplace Orangeville, ON Vankleek Hill, ON

Holy moley.....NBCSN has set the bar at the lowest position possible for a Mikko Koivu stat......he's scored 10 or more goals for 10 consecutive seasons. Um, but we're PAYING him like he scores 30+ goals a season.

2 minutes ago, Wild-in-Va said:

I’m watching on NBC since I’m out of the area and even they are giving props to suter. Granted I’m a newby in watching hockey and trying to understand the game in detail, but I get frustrated with #20 not checking, not keeping the puck in the zone, lazy skating, etc. I think maybe he does things I don’t notice or can’t appreciate since I’ve never played and then I think he’s just over hyped. So can you all help me understand what the fuss is all about? Why does he get the attention and the $$$? 

You're on the mark.

Why do they give him props? Other than a grand illusion to keep ignorant Wild fans interested... Suter and Parise each landed a big payday with the Wild, at the request of Parise.

• Parise's wife is a local gal (as is he) and he wanted to play here.
  • He played alongside Suter in the Olympics and the two have huge crushes on each other. Parise more so than Suter. Why do I say that? Because in the Free Agent market Suter had great value, but to get him here at Parise's request, Parise gave up some of the money thrown at him - to Suter so they both could ink a deal.
  • Those two were the great hope Leipold got behind to rectify this team. Trouble is they were both good players, but Zach has been injury prone and Suter is what he is... Half the best defensive tandem (formerly of Nashville) of Shea Weber and Ryan Suter. Wild management saw huge 'diamonds in the sky' with Suter, loving his (cough cough cough) offensive skills as a defenseman. Trouble is though, Suter hardly knows which end of the puck needs to go in the net let alone be offensive minded. Leipold though, glossed over as he was, has molded and sold Suter as a wonder-ment. He's great defensively but on offense, well, it's taken half a dozen years 'molding and nurturing him' as an offensive defenseman.
  • So for a few years the Wild's Power Plays, with him installed at the point, totally sucked ass. So, he and Parise (behind former head coach Mike Yeo) hired Adam Oates to come to one of their practices and teach them how to do PP's.
  • And in past years with Mike Yeo as head coach, all these 'core players' (insert all the head-strong, spoiled, ego maniac older veteran players of recent years) would throw all the younger players, left without a clue... Under the bus whenever the team crapped the pot because none of the 'core players' ever needed to hold themselves accountable.
  • Since both of them make more money then um, their former head coach, a GM, several assistants, half a dozen busted free agents... They have more say in the club than anyone, other than the owner Craig Leipold, who is probably still hoping to buy a basketball team but pulled up shy of that and bought his second NHL hockey team.
  • Note how after he said he was losing his ass as Nashville's owner... After he left the team has flourished.
  • So Parise, Suter and Koivu (who's the only remaining 'piece' this club still has since Leipold bought the team and granted him two more huge deals) are pretty much cash cows for Leipold to market and take to the bank.
  • Which is why no one nationally believes in this team because other than being nothing but smoke and mirrors in Minnesota, the ONLY real players who had heart, courage, tenacity, a love for the game... They've dumped or thrown in the back of the bus.

There's more but that's a good start.

Thank you for the write up, that really helps put it into perspective. Like anything else, there’s always more behind the scenes politics than we’ll ever know, but what you’ve said really makes sense to me. Thanks again for the education. 😁

2 minutes ago, Wild-in-Va said:

Thank you for the write up, that really helps put it into perspective. Like anything else, there’s always more behind the scenes politics than we’ll ever know, but what you’ve said really makes sense to me. Thanks again for the education. 😁

But, but... I could be wrong! lol

8 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

Someone needs to tell the Foligno - Ek - Nino line they can't score by continually play the boards behind the net, get in front of the net. Take shots!

Maybe Granlund needs to teach them his way cool lacrosse goal technique so they can score from back there...

Archived