Game 47: Bruins at Flyers; 1/16/19 @ 7:30

Howie58

As one would expect, we're significant underdogs in this match-up:

https://www.docsports.com/free-picks/nhl-hockey/2019/Boston-Bruins-at-Philadelphia-Flyers-NHL-Picks-Predictions-1-16-2019-663.html

We have an abysmal record against winning teams.  That said, this is the Bruins, and I suspect the gang will be up for this game. 

Could Simmonds be auditioning for his new team?

If Fletcher was just todo one more thing....waive Macdonald i would nominate him for GM of the year!!!!!

But i just don't understand dressing Lehtera over Weise...unless it is to showcase him...then i get it.

However this does help slow the team down. They won't get that lucky tonight vs. the Broons.

Projected Lines (Subject to change)

FLYERS 

25 James van Riemsdyk - 28 Claude Giroux - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 19 Nolan Patrick -17 Wayne Simmonds
15 Jori Lehterä - 44 Phil Varone - 12 Michael Raffl

9 Ivan Provorov - 6 Travis Sanheim
53 Shayne Gostisbehere -47 Andrew MacDonald
8 Robert Hägg - 3 Radko Gudas

79 Carter Hart
[56 Mike McKenna]

Scratches: 26 Christian Folin (healthy), 22 Dale Weise (on waivers, may be assigned to AHL), 41 Anthony Stolarz (IR, lower body), 30 Michal Neuvirth (IR, lower body), 37 Brian Elliott (IR, lower body), 10 Corban Knight (IR, collarbone), 5 Sam Morin (ACL surgery).

BRUINS

63 Brad Marchand - 37 Patrice Bergeron - 88 David Pastrnak
22 Peter Cehlarik - 46 David Krejci - 42 David Backes
43 Danton Heinen - 23 Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson - 17 Ryan Donato
52 Sean Kuraly - 55 Noel Acciari- 14 Chris Wagner

33 Zdeno Chara - 73 Charlie McAvoy
47 Torey Krug - 25 Brandon Carlo
48 Matt Grzelcyk - 86 Kevan Miller

40 Tuukka Rask / 41 Jaroslav Halak

Scratches: 14 Chris Wagner (illness, questionable), 74 Jake Debrusk (lower body, status to be updated), 27 John Moore (healthy), 44 Steve Kampfer (healthy).

Broons 6

Flyers 3

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But i just don't understand dressing Lehtera over Weise...unless it is to showcase him...then i get it.

Lol no one's showcasing Lehtera. He has about 35 games left in his Flyers - probably NHL - career. He'll ride it out as a 4th liner or healthy scratch.

Weise, on the other hand, has another year left, has value based on his play this year, and a reasonable cap hit for a team looking for bottom six help.

Meltzer speculated yesterday that the Flyers probably have a good sense on whether or not he would be plucked off waivers, and that's why they decided to do it. 

Guess we'll know by noon today!

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

My preference....call a kid up no need to waste space with this sloth. But it does help with the losing for Hughes factor.

There's also the possibility that Weise / Weal were moved out to make space for guys coming off IR - Neuvirth, Stolarz, Morin, Elliott, isn't Knight still on IR? 

19 minutes ago, brelic said:

There's also the possibility that Weise / Weal were moved out to make space for guys coming off IR - Neuvirth, Stolarz, Morin, Elliott, isn't Knight still on IR? 

Yeah but most of those guys you could make room by waiving Mckenna or sending Varone back down too.

I think it is posturing for a future acquisition or that is me being hopeful for one. I hope it is to move some more out and maybe to bring in something to help with next year.

Just now, flyerrod said:

Nah...they are going to go on a winning streak and suck you back in.....just to barely miss the playoffs and ruin their drafting chances......

You're killing me, rod!

The latest odds are still heavily tilted to the Bruins, who are 5-1 in our last six meetings.  Note that we are a low scoring team, but so are the Bruins on the road.  That tells me Hart needs to have his Wheaties against Halak:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/boston-philadelphia-betting-2019-01-16-1023385

Of course, maybe the "new and improved" Flyers are scoring somewhere close to expectations.  

Wow.

All you have to do is pass to the far side for the easy score the Flyers never cover it...back door always open.

Mind boggling the play they always try and fail to score on is the easiest against them.

Wow so now Coots wants to come and play....to bad the team can't find a way to be this smart when there is something to play for...

...Sens finally win and now the Flyers have dropped to the 4th spot...SMFH...this team is just so frustrating...all they can do is f**k up a draft pick...i figured they would play well enough down the stretch to drop them out the top 10...

So the bright spot in the season is Hart...seems they have their starter for next year. They just need to find his backup.

They have 12 players signed with 31 mill in cap space and that isn't including how much the cap goes up.

Provorov and Sanheim need new deals.

I would be nice if Morin and Myers could steal a spot on the blueline...force Mcdud to the box for his last year.

Provorov/Myers

Sanheim/Gudas

Morin/Hagg

-------------------------------

Mcdud

Konecny, Laughton and maybe Raffl get new deals.

So they should still have a nice chunk to spend on the forward depth. 

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Provorov/Myers

Sanheim/Gudas

Morin/Hagg

-------------------------------

Mcdud

Who did you trade Ghost for?

I have no issue with MacDud as next year's Folin. A 7th who can fill in when needed, but definitely not a regular.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

I will let Fletcher answer that.

He could bring a nice piece back.

It might be time for a change of scenery for him to wake him up.

I wonder if the Panthers would like their local hero back???

9 minutes ago, brelic said:

Since i am going to be nice and send Ghost home...

Ghost 

for 

Henrik Borgstrom and Serron Noel

Borgstrom could hold the 3rd line center spot down.

Just throwing this out there...not sure if you are familiar with him.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Since i am going to be nice and send Ghost home...

Ghost 

for 

Henrik Borgstrom and Serron Noel

Borgstrom could hold the 3rd line center spot down.

Just throwing this out there...not sure if you are familiar with him.

Don't know much about him. I do remember Noel from the draft year and many Flyers fans happy he wasn't taken. 

But looking at Noel's stat line, he seems a lot like a Ratcliffe-type player. Tall, goal scoring power forward. 

Archived