The Evolution of Hitting in Hockey & The Mystery of Boarding

WordsOfWisdom

On the infamous Lemieux on Draper hit, the focus of the commentators is that the hit was from behind into the boards.  I don't remember what the penalty was called. It's not mentioned in the clip.  Clearly, this type of hit was always illegal, even during the 90's. 

The Byron hit resulted in a 3 game suspension, only a 3 game suspension. He left his feet and very obviously targeted the head while his target was against the boards.

There's a lot of old time NHLers running the safety dept. who are having a hard time understanding the severity of this action, the potential damage Weegar might experience now and into the future, Byron should have been given a 20 game suspension minimum.

3 games is a light slap on the wrists, I'm certain that both Byron and Weegar would appreciate these actions being effectively expunged from the NHL. If Weegar had been a Crosby, McD or the like the suspension might have been lengthened to 5 games, a premise that suggests that Weegar is less human than Crosby.

Demolishion Hockey needs to stop, hitting is fine but hitting for the sole purpose to hurt has to go.

On 1/17/2019 at 6:24 PM, hobie said:

Demolishion Hockey needs to stop, hitting is fine but hitting for the sole purpose to hurt has to go.

What are your thoughts on the issue of boarding?

Hitting a player into the boards, along the boards, into the bench, etc.....  Yay or nay?   🤔

(By "into the boards" I'm not talking about hitting from behind of course.)

I understand the value of using the boards to make a hit hurt, as a tool towards intimidation but the possibility of injuries is too great to be considered acceptable.

First the NHL changed the icing rule, now hitting the numbers into the boards, it's a glacial pace.

11 hours ago, hobie said:

I understand the value of using the boards to make a hit hurt, as a tool towards intimidation but the possibility of injuries is too great to be considered acceptable.

First the NHL changed the icing rule, now hitting the numbers into the boards, it's a glacial pace.

I think it's more the satisfaction of smashing someone into them and listening to the crunch sound that it makes. 

If you took that out of the game (as the NHL seems to have done without any notice), wouldn't that mean that you can just avoid all physical contact by lingering near the boards all the time?  🤔

Players were never allowed to hit from behind though. That has been a penalty for all of my life at least. 

Interference had been a rule that existed but rarely called, hooking, slashing and many others probably as well.

Late hits that hurt or could cause injury was/is excused, forever, it was deemed the recipient's fault?

The rules are there and have always been there but only selectively applied. 

There have been rules about fighting and lately there are enforcer rules, who started it, but the refs generally send both players to the box even if one turtles. It what sane world is fighting condoned to begin with?

You don't have to hit players against or towards the boards to win puck battles and I don't see anything wrong for the game if the puck carrier uses the boards to protect himself and the puck. Lidstrom was a great player who rarely hit, his game was based on angles, based on skill, more skill and an environment that encourages skill is a good thing.

If you work you should be entitled to a safe environment, most other sports protect the athletes, always.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 1:37 PM, hobie said:

You don't have to hit players against or towards the boards to win puck battles

You don't have to have sex either but it's fun to do.  ;)

On 1/27/2019 at 1:37 PM, hobie said:

If you work you should be entitled to a safe environment, most other sports protect the athletes, always.  

Nah. I don't buy that here. This is professional sports and hockey is a contact game. You play at your own risk, and with great risk comes the potential for great reward (huge salaries).  I don't think we need to completely neuter the NHL.

I'm all for calling head shots, knee on knee hits, hitting from behind, cross-checking, elbowing, charging, etc. No problem. But when you start removing legal shoulder on shoulder and shoulder on chest hits from the game, that's a problem for me. I don't care if players get hit into the boards, into the glass, into the bench, or into the net. It's simply part of the game. It's how you eliminate someone from the play and keep them out of the play for a few brief seconds. When you're along the boards you need to be aware of it and prepare for the possibility that you could be slammed up against them. 

The NHL is really missing the checking right now. It's a glaring omission from the current game. Nobody hits any more. I even see players slowing up and stopping short to avoid hitting players. That's unheard of. 

The call against us in Tampa was a clean check.  But the refs figure, Tampa are the NE Patriots of the NHL>  BS I say.  And what constitutes an interference penalty now?  What is the difference between a clean board check and when does it become interference?  A few years back interference was called often.  No more. 

On 1/16/2019 at 12:27 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Getting the ball rolling with a clean body check from 2000. The famous Stevens hit on Lindros.

Listen to the commentators as well. It's important to "capture the moment" so to speak. Also check out the other highlights included.

I can't bear to watch that. I've seen it enough times, thanks.

Needless to say, that would not be a "clean" hit today (predatory, launches, targets the head as first point of contact). Arguably it was never a clean hit (predatory, launches, targets the head as first point of contact). 

On 2/26/2019 at 1:55 PM, Podein25 said:

I can't bear to watch that. I've seen it enough times, thanks.

Needless to say, that would not be a "clean" hit today (predatory, launches, targets the head as first point of contact). Arguably it was never a clean hit (predatory, launches, targets the head as first point of contact). 

My stance has always been that if a player is skating with their head down (head so low that it's at chest level), then a shoulder on head hit should be legal, provided the player isn't reaching/lifting/extending their arm/shoulder upwards to strike the head (which is what I consider to be "targeting the head"). 

The problem with the Scott Stevens hits of the 1990's is that they're all massive charging, and in some (not all) instances he's also lifting upward to hit the head with his arm. There are some highlight reels where he's skating over 100 feet to slam into someone. Charging was basically the one penalty that never got called in 90's hockey. It basically didn't exist. It was there in the rule book but nobody ever got dinged for it.  

What are your thoughts on boarding?  When did we lose hits along the boards in the NHL?  :) 

On 2/25/2019 at 5:06 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

The call against us in Tampa was a clean check.  But the refs figure, Tampa are the NE Patriots of the NHL>  BS I say.  And what constitutes an interference penalty now?  What is the difference between a clean board check and when does it become interference?  A few years back interference was called often.  No more. 

Interference is sort of the catch-all penalty for: "anything bad that you do to a player without the puck".  If you touch the puck carrier, then the NHL gets into specifics with their penalty names.

Somewhere along the line the NHL decided to remove all hits along the boards. Not sure why/when the boards became a safe zone in hockey. 

19 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

What are your thoughts on boarding?  When did we lose hits along the boards in the NHL?  :)

I genuinely don't understand this. I suspect it was an attempt at humour, but can't tell. Are you taking comedy tips from Hockey Junkie, lol?

On 1/16/2019 at 1:27 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Getting the ball rolling with a clean body check from 2000.

What is this a joke that is NOT a clean body check.

The principal point of contract was Big E's head. Steven would have sat for the rest of the series for that one or longer had the rules been set up like today.

Now with that said that isn't to absolve Eric of any of his dirty stuff just pointing that out.

47 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

My stance has always been that if a player is skating with their head down (head so low that it's at chest level), then a shoulder on head hit should be legal, provided the player isn't reaching/lifting/extending their arm/shoulder upwards to strike the head (which is what I consider to be "targeting the head").

Well let's see how you feel if that ever happens to Auston Matthew's or Marner.

No way a direct hit like that should be allowed.

No way.

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well let's see how you feel if that ever happens to Auston Matthew's or Marner.

No way a direct hit like that should be allowed.

No way.

How else can you have hitting in hockey?  

I can recall a hit on Mogilny one time when he was with the Leafs (can't find the footage of it though) where he was near the net and a player checked him in the chest so he fell backward into the boards (hitting his back on the boards). I'm pretty sure it was considered to be a clean hit (because boarding didn't exist until the last 5-10 years or so) and that hit put Mogilny out for a month or so. He was the Leafs top forward at the time. 

On 3/1/2019 at 12:34 PM, Podein25 said:

I genuinely don't understand this. I suspect it was an attempt at humour, but can't tell. Are you taking comedy tips from Hockey Junkie, lol?

lol  ;)

I don't see players hitting when they're along the boards, and if/when they do, I see penalties being called.

Maybe it's just a Leafs thing? :IDunnoSmiley:

EDIT:  Several notable hits along the boards in the game against the Sabres. (Finally.) I think maybe my perspective is skewed from watching the Leafs lol.   :)

36 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

In 2000 it was. Did Stevens receive any penalty or any suspension for the hit?  

He probably didn't, I don't know but is that or should that be the issue, I think the issue should be that players shouldn't be trying to hurt each other, the person delivering the hit should be held accountable for the consequences. As a general rule players understand what can result from their actions but they continue the stupidity because even now they know the consequences, fines or suspentions if any, are minimal.

I feel that if a player is injured as a result of an unadvised check and the injured player misses games, players should be suspended for the same length of time as the injured player misses, plus without pay. That check on Andreas Johnsson for instance was a deliberate attempt to injure.

Ruining Lindros or any player shouldn't be acceptable and players like Stevens should be held accountable both within the NHL and in front of the courts.

There's nothing wrong with hitting but it needs to be civilized.  

Archived