Where will Bob be traded to?

yave1964

It seems almost certain that Sergei Bobrovsky is winding down in Columbus, Joonas Korpisalo is stealing starts, Bob who is an unrestricted free agent at seasons end and coach Tortorella have butted heads and his contract demands, rumored to be in the neighborhood of 11 million a year on a long term deal will almost certainly price him out of Columbus the question therefor is where does he finish the season. As it see it the likely scenarios:

COLUMBUS The most likely scenario is finishing the season where he started it. First off, they are leading the division and they very well may decide to keep him for the playoff run, treating the remainder of the season as a rental player and hope that he helps carry them to a deep playoff run before showing him the door. The two time Vezina trophy winner has been haunted by lack of playoff success and a long run with the Jackets could go a long way towards a big payday for Bob.

EDMONTON They have Talbot and Koskinen both as free agents at years end, they are hanging around the bottom of the playoff race and dont want to waste another great year by McDavid/Draisatl. A RNH/Talbot for Bobrovsky deal is certainly not out of the question, the question is if the Oilers could resign him with a slew of bad contracts in place.

CALGARY Mike Smith is aging and not the answer, Rittich has had a brilliant year but is untested in the postseason, bob as a rental for arguably the West's best team would be ideal, they have assets to burn and an aggressive GM who might want to add him for this year only with Smith and a forward going the other way.

ISLANDERS Greiss/Lehner are not the answer, the Isles are hanging around in playoff contention and have some solid prospects such as Ho Sang and Bellows that may be moved if they can work out a long term deal for Bob.

SENATORS Dont laugh, I doubt it too but they are simply bristling with young talented forward prospects and have the aging soon to depart Anderson and nothing else in net,  Bob coming over and signing a long term deal could go a long way towards letting their fans know they are still trying. Duchene to Columbus could fit the Jackets biggest need for a top six center.

BLUES St. Louis has to realize by now that Jake Allen has wrecked their season almost single handed and is not the answer, a Bob/Schenn deal would greatly strengthen both teams.

FLYERS Because he started there. Because Bob is one of only three NHL goalies who hasn't already played for the Flyers this year. Seriously though, with Hart as the future I see this as unlikely but possible.

He is a two time Vezina winning goalie who could turn a franchise around in a hurry, if a team can lock him in long term for a decent salary obviously he is worth going after. Columbus has a need for a true number one center and possibly one more scoring winger and in the right deal Bob could fill those needs.

I agree with the premise that Bob will stay in Columbus to finish the season as there isn't another team out there which can send a goalie back who gives them a better chance for success the remainder of this season and into the playoffs.  I guess when it was made known that Bob wasn't signing a new contract he gave Columbus a list of a potential trade list.  

I think Columbus will trade Bob at the draft to the Florida Panthers who wasn't on your list.    Bob has a home in Miami and for what it is worth through the rumor mill, both Panarin and Bob are linked to the signing with the Panthers via several "Rumors".  Luongo would then be the backup netminder and Reimer will be traded to another team or to Columbus.  

Would it be crazy to see Columbus trade Bob for Varlamov??

I know Bob and the Jackets haven't gotten along well lately.

Both guys are very similar number wise...both are UFAs at the end of the year and both teams still need goaltending heading into the playoffs.

So could we see a crazy player swap like this??

8 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I agree with the premise that Bob will stay in Columbus to finish the season as there isn't another team out there which can send a goalie back who gives them a better chance for success the remainder of this season and into the playoffs.

See my suggestion above. Bob for Varlamov??

@hf101 @OccamsRazor

Yeah Bob to Florida or Bob to the Avalanche makes a lot of sense all around, I still think the odds are very high he remains with the CBJ and while I think both of the above are solid picks, I would bet on Edmonton going for the home run as Koskinen has cooled and Talbot is thrashing around hopelessly most nights. Chiarelli has never been afraid to make a big splash and he cannot have too many bulets left in his gun before he gets fired, a move for Bob even if it cost RNH probably locks up a playoff spot for the Oilers and saves his job. I predict  that IF he is traded it is to Edmonton for Talbot/RNH with a few other pieces to make the money/rosters work.

11 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@hf101 @OccamsRazor

Yeah Bob to Florida or Bob to the Avalanche makes a lot of sense all around, I still think the odds are very high he remains with the CBJ and while I think both of the above are solid picks, I would bet on Edmonton going for the home run as Koskinen has cooled and Talbot is thrashing around hopelessly most nights. Chiarelli has never been afraid to make a big splash and he cannot have too many bulets left in his gun before he gets fired, a move for Bob even if it cost RNH probably locks up a playoff spot for the Oilers and saves his job. I predict  that IF he is traded it is to Edmonton for Talbot/RNH with a few other pieces to make the money/rosters work.

So if they were to trade Bob....you think they would go with Korpisalo for their playoff run?? That would be suicidal.

43 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So if they were to trade Bob....you think they would go with Korpisalo for their playoff run?? That would be suicidal.

I like Korpy, I truly could see him as a number one in the league, but for this season, IF (again big IF) the CBJ trade Bob I think they would want an NHL tested starter back which is why the premise of Varly makes sense or someone like Talbot, both are UFA's at years end and would be good solid veteran playoff insurance.

Columbus really has a need for a 1C, I love Dubois but he is a kid and IMHO would be better served with some of the pressure off, that is why I think RNH makes a lot of sense for the Jackets, it would allow them to bump Jenner to the 3C slot where he has thrived in the past as well. If they hold onto Bob I could see them becoming a big player for Duchene when he returns from injury with the Senators who have fallen to last in the NHL and are unlikely to be able to keep either Duchene or Stone, and as Colorado has their first rounder I think they will be looking for assets for veterans. 

so RNH in a Bob deal or Duchene in a deal for picks/prospects makes a ton of sense. 

12 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

that is why I think RNH makes a lot of sense for the Jackets

Yes for the Jackets it does but not much sense for the Oilers to get Bob and then create a hole at #2 center spot.

Brodziak can not take that role. Just would make sense for both sides. It is why i could see Varly and Bob swapped.

Archived