Pontus Aberg

4Check

10 minutes ago, 4Check said:

PLUS

Fenton should know him,.....he drafted him.

He can skate.

Right Handed

MINUS

Production hasn't matched talent at NHL level.

What about him?

Could of had him for free he was on waivers earlier this year and I wanted the Flyers to claim him.

Then there's this excerpt last year from the Hockey Writers when Aberg was with Edm and missed a team practice.........

“He came out for reasons beyond his play,” McLellan said when asked about the seriousness of Aberg’s infraction. “It’s serious. The coaching staff isn’t pleased, the organization isn’t pleased and I’m sure his teammates aren’t pleased but players do make some mistakes. There are reasons for missing sometimes that you have to go and dig and find out why, and that’s already been done, and we’re ready to move on.”

This was a cap deal.

Kloos gets $792,500 this season and is an RFA next season. Aberg gets $650,000 this season and is an RFA next season. Wild save $142K.

I wouldn't get too excited about this. Guy doesn't play defense. Had one of the worst +/- on the team at -10.

Concussions. Skipped practices. I can't believe this guy was available. Wire stories make it sound like Anaheim letting go of a real gem. Lord knows we've always got room for another Swede. Welcome aboard? Shall we call you "Ponty," or "A-Burger." I can see this guy being a role-model, road roomie inspiration for Erickson-Ek. As for scouting report, what the hell does "he can skate" mean? Not like we're going to have to teach him skills like passing and shooting, too, you know, like when the Timberwolves bring in a "shooting" coach? Four leagues and nearly 10 teams in the past five years. His jersey collection must be fantastic!

4 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Concussions. Skipped practices. I can't believe this guy was available. Wire stories make it sound like Anaheim letting go of a real gem. Lord knows we've always got room for another Swede. Welcome aboard? Shall we call you "Ponty," or "A-Burger." I can see this guy being a role-model, road roomie inspiration for Erickson-Ek. As for scouting report, what the hell does "he can skate" mean? Not like we're going to have to teach him skills like passing and shooting, too, you know, like when the Timberwolves bring in a "shooting" coach?

More like $hitburger...

I see he wore #20 in Anaheim. Wonder if Suter will hand it over? Ha!😎 Carlyle (who'll be looking for work soon, threw Aberg under the bus as he was on his way out, calling him a perimeter player. We should have the whole perimeter covered with him on board.

20 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Concussions. Skipped practices. I can't believe this guy was available. Wire stories make it sound like Anaheim letting go of a real gem. Lord knows we've always got room for another Swede. Welcome aboard? Shall we call you "Ponty," or "A-Burger." I can see this guy being a role-model, road roomie inspiration for Erickson-Ek. As for scouting report, what the hell does "he can skate" mean? Not like we're going to have to teach him skills like passing and shooting, too, you know, like when the Timberwolves bring in a "shooting" coach? Four leagues and nearly 10 teams in the past five years. His jersey collection must be fantastic!

Yeah....keep him away from the impressionable 21 yr old fellow countryman!!!!      And on the "he can skate"?   From the few times I've watched him, he has better than average speed, can separate and has good lateral skills.   The neck up seems to be the question mark.

29 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

This was a cap deal.

Kloos gets $792,500 this season and is an RFA next season. Aberg gets $650,000 this season and is an RFA next season. Wild save $142K.

I wouldn't get too excited about this. Guy doesn't play defense. Had one of the worst +/- on the team at -10.

Wild aren't  saving money. Kloos was on a two way making 70,000 in IA.

IMO, we traded a guy who we were likely going to keep in the minors almost no matter how well he did; for a guy who has scored at the NHL level.  Straight up...1-for-1, if this was Fletcher we would've given them a draft pick in addition to Kloos.  

Fenton knows this kid, he drafted him...and I figure this is Aberg's last NHL chance.  If he does the same crap he did elsewhere, he's probably out of the league and playing in the KHL next season.  IMO, its a low risk, potentially high reward move.  If he is awful...they'll send him down without hesitation or just let him sit.  

Am I hopeful he'll tear it up here.  Not really, but we didn't really risk much anyways.  Iowa might be annoyed, but Kloos was probably not going to get much of a chance with Minnesota anyways so...tough for me to be too critical of this move.  

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Am I hopeful he'll tear it up here.  Not really, but we didn't really risk much anyways.  Iowa might be annoyed, but Kloos was probably not going to get much of a chance with Minnesota anyways so...tough for me to be too critical of this move.  

Too Bad. Isn't Iowa's job to groom players for our NHL team?

If someone isn't going to progress then he's available for change. As it should be with the big club too.

As much as I like Kloos in Iowa its no loss to the big club. At 5'9" he will never get much of a chance outside the AHL.

Aberg is a slight upgrade from the other duds we have or at minimum will fit right in as one of the duds.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:28 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

IMO, we traded a guy who we were likely going to keep in the minors almost no matter how well he did; for a guy who has scored at the NHL level.  Straight up...1-for-1, if this was Fletcher we would've given them a draft pick in addition to Kloos.  

Fenton knows this kid, he drafted him...and I figure this is Aberg's last NHL chance.  If he does the same crap he did elsewhere, he's probably out of the league and playing in the KHL next season.  IMO, its a low risk, potentially high reward move.  If he is awful...they'll send him down without hesitation or just let him sit.  

Yup.  This is a no lose situation.  An easy, cheap way to change things up.   If he really sucks, he's gone.  Maybe the kid figures it out.  If he does and contributes we got something for nothing.    

Who knows?  Maybe it'll be another Doobie-esque powerball winner fluke.

Archived