Game 48: Flyers at Canadiens 1/19/19 @ 7:00

OccamsRazor

I think a big trade goes down before we see this team play again after this game.

A week off i think Fletcher pulls the trigger.

flyers

The last time we could see some of these players in a Flyer uniform.

Go ahead pull the trigger it will give them the time off to get over it.

It needs to be done. No since in waiting. Time to look forward to 2019-20.

This team coaches and players have to figure out a way to not give up so much open center ice.

Plays like this kill them. What next?? Just load up the other side...poor Hart.

Can't win like this. This is hockey 101.

Thank God for Hart.

Now everyone else needs to raise and match his game.

Can they beat Montreal?? Have they won 3 in a row this year?? Can't say i remember.

FLYERS 

25 James van Riemsdyk - 28 Claude Giroux - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 19 Nolan Patrick -17 Wayne Simmonds
15 Jori Lehterä - 44 Phil Varone - 12 Michael Raffl

9 Ivan Provorov - 6 Travis Sanheim
53 Shayne Gostisbehere -47 Andrew MacDonald
8 Robert Hägg - 3 Radko Gudas

79 Carter Hart
[56 Mike McKenna]

Scratches: 26 Christian Folin (healthy), 22 Dale Weise (healthy, not with team), 41 Anthony Stolarz (IR, lower body), 30 Michal Neuvirth (IR, lower body), 37 Brian Elliott (IR, lower body), 10 Corban Knight (IR, collarbone), 5 Sam Morin (ACL surgery).

CANADIENS

92 Jonathan Drouin - 24 Phillip Danault - 11 Brendan Gallagher
90 Tomas Tatar - 13 Max Domi - 62 Artturi Lehkonen 
54 Charles Hudon - 15 Jesperi Kotkaniemi - 40 Joel Armia
47 Kenny Agostino - 43 Michael Chaput - 20 Nicolas Deslauriers

53 Victor Mete - 6 Shea Weber
28 Mike Reilly - 26 Jeff Petry
17 Brett Kulak - 8 Jordie Benn

37 Antti Niemi
[31 Carey Price]

Scratches: 53 Matthew Peca (healthy), 27 Karl Alzner (healthy), 41 Paul Byron (NHL suspension), 64 Andrew Shaw (IR, neck).

I see the questions arise the Flyers were feeling disrespected by having to face the other teams backup all the time...i find it funny as hell they bitch about it then can't beat the backup....was a bunch of pu$$ies....don't like it then beat them....it's that simple.

I would have loved to seen Hart play against the guys many have compared him too. I think Montreal was afraid to put Price out there and then Hart out perform him...i know it...Ole Ole Ole...

8 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I thought they played better then the shot total reflects.

I thought Hart saved their bacon.  Montreal had more jump to me and owned the territorial play.  That's the way it seemed to me, anyway.

I think it's astounding Montreal has more jump considering they played last night.  I don't think the difference should necessarily be that noticeable in the first period, but if that continues that's not good.  

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Is there a practical or CBA reason why Lehtera can't be waived and his coke head sent to Lehigh?   Why is he still taking up a spot on the roster?  What purpose is that serving?

Think of it this way (only way I can without losing my sh it).....if he plays he helps with the draft pick...he IS the slow tank that helps with the tank...

On a side note that has nothing to do with this game much except the fact that with Varone being called up Connor Bunnaman has taken his bump to the 1st line in his place and just taken off.

Kid has really gone off like I haven't see a forward do for the Phantoms in a long long time.

He is on a 4 game goal streak.

Too bad he doesn’t just suck super bad so you could complain about him. It would be so much better if he was a bust. What you can’t complain about here is the arena DJ. What a range, but Chaos A.D. sealed the deal for me. 

We took a page from Ali's Rope a Dope and let the Habs think we were bleep during the first and took them by surprise in the second.  Hart was great.  Maybe Patrick is reaching puberty again. 

I agree with HNIC broadcaster that recent play may force Fletcher to rethink coming moves.  It is a lot more fun to watch this than in recent weeks.  

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

We took a page from Ali's Rope a Dope and let the Habs think we were bleep during the first and took them by surprise in the second.  Hart was great.  Maybe Patrick is reaching puberty again. 

I agree with HNIC broadcaster that recent play may force Fletcher to rethink coming moves.  It is a lot more fun to watch this than in recent weeks.  

They had at least 3 off the iron or looking at an open net that they missed in the first. Those do not get counted as shots. That said, Montreal was still skating like a team that won 4 in a row in the first. After that, they looked like the team that was on the second game of a b2b. Carter Hart, just wow. What a difference a goalie stopping a few extra shots makes. He makes the game watchable again. This team still needs to lose MacDud and Lehtera for the next improvement but as long as they are winning, those 2  will continue to get ice time. I am also pleased to see JVR and Patrick return to looking like NHL players again. Just think where this team would be if they had just started the year with Carter Hart in Goal.........:bonkingheadonwall:

It seems the Captain is now struggling to score goals while everyone else has picked it up.

He has 3 goals since December 9th.

One goal in just the last 12 games.

Maybe the team could use this break.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It seems the Captain is now struggling to score goals while everyone else has picked it up.

He has 3 goals since December 9th.

One goal in just the last 12 games.

Maybe the team could use this break.

He's played well and has had his looks.  But he just couldn't hit the net if he was standing in it.

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

He's played well and has had his looks.  But he just couldn't hit the net if he was standing in it.

Yeah it seems he is pressing feel the pressure of this team losing...know if they don't pick it up he is going to lose some of his best friends.

That can't be easy. It happens he is human.

I'm torn i really don't want them to play well because i know if they do they will keep them all together and i think that would be wrong because they need change.

It's more than just a good draft pick it is about retooling for next year.

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

A good read on the unselfish Captain.

https://sports.yahoo.com/claude-girouxs-unselfishness-shouldnt-unnoticed-170211472.html

something from Meltzer W/R/T the complaining about screwing our draft position when there's 34 games still left to play:

"The Flyers are going to be a lottery team, in all likelihood. If they ultimately get lucky in the 2019 NHL Draft lottery after the season, so much the better. However, the NHL lottery system is designed to discourage tanking. Even for the 31st-place team, there's only 18.5 percent odds of getting the first pick (49.6 chance of picking in the top three) as compared to a 50.6 percent chance of picking 4th.

In the meantime, there would be a lot of collateral damage to the Flyers' long-term hopes if they do wind up finishing last. It would not simply entail trading off some veteran impending unrestricted free agents, including Simmonds and Raffl. It was also mean that Provorov and Gostisbehere have second halves that are like their play in the first half. It would mean Patrick goes back to struggling offensively. It would mean that Hart hits a wall and the goaltending instability of the first half returns. It would mean Lindblom's recent assertiveness dissipates. "

3 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

something from Meltzer W/R/T the complaining about screwing our draft position when there's 34 games still left to play:

"The Flyers are going to be a lottery team, in all likelihood. If they ultimately get lucky in the 2019 NHL Draft lottery after the season, so much the better. However, the NHL lottery system is designed to discourage tanking. Even for the 31st-place team, there's only 18.5 percent odds of getting the first pick (49.6 chance of picking in the top three) as compared to a 50.6 percent chance of picking 4th.

In the meantime, there would be a lot of collateral damage to the Flyers' long-term hopes if they do wind up finishing last. It would not simply entail trading off some veteran impending unrestricted free agents, including Simmonds and Raffl. It was also mean that Provorov and Gostisbehere have second halves that are like their play in the first half. It would mean Patrick goes back to struggling offensively. It would mean that Hart hits a wall and the goaltending instability of the first half returns. It would mean Lindblom's recent assertiveness dissipates. "

Ok so what's the point?

It would have no effect really on next year.

It would be the same if they played well down the stretch just like they did last going what like 23-5 and something it had no effect on this year they still played like sh it.

So what you do the year before really good or bad has a true effect on the following year it means nothing really.

You have to come out and do it all again.

Just look at the Eagles winning Super Bowl awesome they won it but it didn't do a damn thing for them this year they still started the season and struggled.

So I ain't buying that sh it if they play great the rest of the season it will help them next year.

BULLSH IT!

It didn't help them this year won't help them next year.

Just get an good draft and rid the team of its many passengers then maybe they have a good 2019-20 with a fresh coaching staff.

Lose for Hughes

Archived