How many

Jam1986

16 minutes ago, Jam1986 said:

Points to get into Playoffs? I know LOL!  Feel a run coming.  Then that would  blow all hope for draft. Just thinking.

LOL playoffs aren't happening.

But, sure, I'll play!

Let's look at the current playoff picture and take the team with the lowest points %. That would be Montreal (57pts in 48 games, .593) currently in the 1st wildcard spot. Pittsburgh has fewer points, but a better points % (.609).

Let's also assume that the final wildcard spot at the end of the season goes to a team that maintains the current pace Montreal is on - .593.

That projects to 97 points. 

So we need 98 to make the playoffs.

Currently the Flyers have 42 points in 47 games (.446) and are 14 points clear of the last wildcard spot. 

In order to finish with 98 points, the Flyers have to get 56 points out of a maximum 70 over the last 35 games.

That's .800 hockey.

In other words, they would need to go something like 25-4-6.

3 hours ago, Jam1986 said:

Points to get into Playoffs? I know LOL!  Feel a run coming.  Then that would  blow all hope for draft. Just thinking.

They'll need at least 53 out of 70 possible remaining points to have a prayer.  They'll likely need more than that because the East so far is so much stronger than the west this year.  I think if they can get 58 points out of 70, they'll likely make it.

They've won 3/4.  They'll have to do that from here on out in order to have a prayer.  

26-27 wins and they'll have a shot.

29-30 wins, and they'll be pretty safely in.  

In other words, they can lose 8 more games and still have a prayer, but when they've lost 9, even delusional hope is passed.   

So even if they go on a big streak, build on recent improvements, and essentially become a powerhouse in the league, it will still come down to the wire and they will need help, just like 2010 and last year.

They also have to stop losing to the East.  The Devils loss was a nail in their coffin in my heart because they were so effing futile in it,  but it wasn't so terrible standings wise  just because the Devils aren't in playoff position either, but they can't lose to anyone in the Metro from here on out and teams like Buffalo, Montreal and Boston are all absolute must wins in order for them to have a prayer.  

I honestly don't know what to hope for because I feel like even if they tank, they'll lose the lottery and still miss out on these top three picks everyone's talking about. 

Archived