Niederreiter Traded For Victor Rask

bbgarnett

also, Rask is a Left handed shot not right 

Didn't think we'd ever trade him or Coyle. What do you guy's think?  But I think a change of scenery was needed. Also, Rask is a center not sure if he plays other positions but if not maybe maybe Coyle is soon to follow.

Also here this is for one last time.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bbgarnett said:

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1085991156297678848

wow didn't think we'd ever trade him or Coyle. What do you guy's think?

Nino was tradeable since he didn't have a NTC. Problem was a lot of GM's were scared off by the $5M price tag.

This reminds me of the Martin Havlat/Dany Heatley trade...two struggling, overpriced players swapped for each other in the hopes that a change of scenery will ignite something...

@IllaZilla  yes I completely agree. we also do save a little money and Rask has slightly better PPG production so hopefully, the change will help both guys. Though everything I am reading on other places from both the Minnesota and Carolina side are saying Carolina fleeced us big time here and others are asking WTF is Fenton doing. To me, it's way too early to say this trade was good or bad as both players were struggling mightly it seems and you just never know how it will turn out.

Fenton has very little to work with. Nino's performance this year made him top of the list.

Coyle and Staal and a few others should be a bit nervous right now.

And at first i just saw names and 'briefly' thought of a different Rask. :D

9 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Only good thing I see right now: $1.25M saved.

For the rest, right now as the iron is still hot, I don't think that will change a lot for both teams.

Well, in the cap era, that is a consideration. Not only are a players stats taken into consideration and where he's going to fit in with the team, but his cap hit is as well.

Maybe it will work out for both guys. I know the way Nino has been going for him with no sign of correction this wasn't a bad trade. Plus the money saved on this will help out. I do wonder, like somebody pointed out, Rask is a Center. Coyle has increased his trade value. Are we possible going to trade him for somebody that might help stir the pot of excitement for the Wild?

4 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

Maybe it will work out for both guys. I know the way Nino has been going for him with no sign of correction this wasn't a bad trade. Plus the money saved on this will help out. I do wonder, like somebody pointed out, Rask is a Center. Coyle has increased his trade value. Are we possible going to trade him for somebody that might help stir the pot of excitement for the Wild?

I don't know if I'd trade Coyle right now. As much as the bloom is off the rose with him for me, he is playing better AND he's only got a $3.2M cap hit for the next two seasons. Keep in mind Staal and Fehr are UFA's this off season, so the Wild are potentially going to lose two centers.

I know many soured on Nino...and believe me, I fully understand why.... but I am gonna miss that big lug.

For a brief time, he represented EXACTLY what the Minnesota Wild needed... a big, skilled, power forward with some speed and not afraid of the rough stuff either.

Obviously, he lost his way, and for whatever reason, there seems to be no one on the coaching staff or on his lines that could help him find his way back, so changes need to be made...especially given the price tag he now carries.

I will wish him well in Carolina (just not against the Wild...and also, in my case, not against the Lightning), but I have no ill will towards Nino and I truly believed he was trying his hardest for the team, but that it ultimately was simply not enough.

As for the incoming Victor Rask, not sure what to think about this guy.
He looked on pace to be at least a solid 40-50 point guy a year at the NHL level, but he too has seemed to have lost his way with his former team.

Maybe if the Wild are lucky, some magic can be created with him coming over from the Canes in the same way Eric Staal revived himself with Minnesota after previously being with Carolina...although obviously the Canes Staal left are quite different than the more exciting current Carolina team. But I will hope for the positive.
The fact that Rask is a center doesn't mean a whole lot to me as far as further moves....sure, they COULD materialize, or maybe Rask, like so many centers before him, make the transition to wing and be good doing that.

All kinds of possibilities.

Bottom line, good luck to Nino, I will choose to remember his better days with the Wild, but I agree that it was time for him to go.

And the bit of cap relief this trade represents is also a good thing for Minnesota.

Welcome Victor Rask.....your fresh start is about to begin...make the most of it...

5 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I don't know if I'd trade Coyle right now. As much as the bloom is off the rose with him for me, he is playing better AND he's only got a $3.2M cap hit for the next two seasons. Keep in mind Staal and Fehr are UFA's this off season, so the Wild are potentially going to lose two centers.

Not saying them will and I would hate to be in Fentons shoes right now cause if Coyle reverts his trade value will crash. Fehr I can see for sure going. Staal is really a toss up. The Wild are still in the hunt to fight for a WC spot. Do you trade a guy that has gone quiet then come roaring back or keep him and hope he can find that magic he has done the last two years to help your team out? I don't think there is a correct answer unless somebody really dangles a nice worm for him.

I am a little surprised with Nino though. I kind of always figured they would never give up on him. I do like the money saved.

3 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

Not saying them will and I would hate to be in Fentons shoes right now cause if Coyle reverts his trade value will crash. Fehr I can see for sure going. Staal is really a toss up. The Wild are still in the hunt to fight for a WC spot. Do you trade a guy that has gone quiet then come roaring back or keep him and hope he can find that magic he has done the last two years to help your team out? I don't think there is a correct answer unless somebody really dangles a nice worm for him.

I am a little surprised with Nino though. I kind of always figured they would never give up on him. I do like the money saved.

If the team is in the Playoffs, they will more than likely keep Staal. They can use a veteran center, even if it is only for one round.

If the team is out of contention by the March trade deadline, I think they will move Staal. Why keep him? Get something for him. And I highly doubt the Wild will get him for that $3M price tag again. Some GM will throw silly money at him. 

Russo reported the Wild tried moving Nino this offseason and a lot of the GM's were scared off by his salary...so there was interest, just not that much interest...

Fenton is solution oriented - that's great to see!

Nino couldn't figure it out in 40 games, trading him makes sense. Obviously sad to see him go since he is still young and has shown talent for us in many years.

Haven't kept a close eye on Rask but seriously, even if he was slumping too how big a disappointment can he be after Nino? I hope Coyle stays even if Rask proves to be a gem.

Charlotte papers paint this as Canes "looking to increase scoring" in acquiring Nino in exchange for a guy who missed games this year for, no kidding, slicing two of his fingers in a cooking accident. WTF think he be Julia Child? 

44 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

Does anyone have an opinion/insight on how much BB had to do with this move--if anything??

For sure, I HAVE no idea whether BB had anything to do with this move or not....although, one would think the head coach always has a say in such matters.

But what is interesting to me is, if you look at BB teams of the past, he seems to favor big, large, offensive oriented players with a mean streak over the smaller, speedier, more "docile" players, for lack of a better term at the moment.
Look at the top players in Anaheim and before that in Washington when BB coached there.
Usually defined by large, aggressive, mean streaked, but offense oriented forwards.

Nino Niedderreiter actually FITS that description.....he seems to be more the "Boudreau type guy".

Still though, no matter what mold you fit in, if you aren't helping your team, if you aren't doing what is expected, if you aren't playing to your perceived best, then you become a liability, and if that means trading a liability for the chance on another player who perhaps DOESN'T fit the BB mold, then so be it, and in my opinion that is what happened here.

Only BB knows for sure whether he wanted to continue to give Nino time to straighten out his game, or whether he simply wanted another body, ANY decent body with some upside to replace what Nino WASN'T doing.
Maybe the GM overruled him...maybe they just collaborated and came to a concensus.

The Wild's coach, I believe, wants to win as badly as any player on the team.....and in an ideal world, guys like Nino, Coyle, Greenway, Fehr, Foligno, even Staal who can play an underrated tough game while still being offensively oriented would be his go-to type guys.
But that just isn't working right now and the Wild at this stage, can possibly squander further games if they don't do something about the current situation.

Enter Victor Rask, who DOES have upside, who has shown that he can be reliable, even though he doesn't necessarily fit the BB style of player.

Since about day 1, I don't think the Wild played to his strengths and I'm glad he gets a change of scenery. He'll kick ass. I'm sad to see him go. In recent years he's the only guy scoring half-decently on a consistent basis; except this year.

I don't expect Rask to last long.

I posted elsewhere about the trade, didn't see it  here or I would have posted it here. Essentially it is Rask/Aberg for Nino which IMHO is a terrible trade off for the Wild,  Rask is soft as an ice cream cone in August, Aberg has been run out of three organizations in a year not for lack of skill but because when you mention backchecking he has to grab a dictionary because he has no idea what that means. Arguably the softest team in Hockey just got considerably softer. 

This is a dogshit trade.  Nino was always jerked around by the Wild.  14 minutes of ice every year.  Talk about pinning the wilds ****** results on one guy.  Rask is a taller version of Ennis.  He will bring us nothing.  Nino will up his scoring on Canes.  Even though Nino is no All Star, we got fleeced. Desperation move. 

Here comes the garage sale?  If Fenton’s any good, he should find a way to dump Koivu and Suter (instead of NN), and our results would improve noticeably.  Clearly, Fenton was the caddy for Nashville GM and learned nothing.  Just pissed at wasting assets.  Now we have to hope Seattle relieves us from Rask down the road. 

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

I posted elsewhere about the trade, didn't see it  here or I would have posted it here. Essentially it is Rask/Aberg for Nino which IMHO is a terrible trade off for the Wild,  Rask is soft as an ice cream cone in August, Aberg has been run out of three organizations in a year not for lack of skill but because when you mention backchecking he has to grab a dictionary because he has no idea what that means. Arguably the softest team in Hockey just got considerably softer. 

Then he'll fit in perfectly with the Wild...

Archived