Flyers trade Taylor Leier to Sabres for minor-league winger Justin Bailey

pilldoc

Well, I guess Fletcher is awake at the helm.  The Leier departure is a reminder that faith in draft picks has to proven with results down the road.  I guess there was some disappointment with his trajectory.

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

A minor trade last night between the Flyers and Sabres.  Nothing really worth noting except this is a depth move for the Phantoms.

http://www.philly.com/flyers/flyers-trade-taylor-leier-justin-bailey-sabres-nhl-20190118.html

Except it's not a depth move for the Phantoms.  It's a depth move for the Sabres.

I'm failing to see the purpose of this deal for any reason at all whatsoever except that perhaps as a favor to Leier...  maybe?  

First Weal, then waiving Weise, now Leier... I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, but in the mean time, it just stinks of Fletcher making some moves for the sake of making some moves, likely because Holmgren is being a whiney little bee-hatch chirping over his shoulder every day.  

I'll gladly say I was wrong if any of this amounts to anything, but it looks like pointlessly rearranging matchsticks to me.  

4 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Well, I guess Fletcher is awake at the helm.  The Leier departure is a reminder that faith in draft picks has to proven with results down the road.  I guess there was some disappointment with his trajectory.

How is that what you're getting out of this?  How does trading one disappointing 4th round pick  for someone else's disappointing 2nd round pick translate into anything positive for anyone?  

I'm waiting to be wrong, but in the mean time, it really looks like Leier was traded because Fletcher was feeling pressure to make SOME kind of move, so he made a move that would have as little effect as possible on anything.  

Nothing to see here. Both in their mid twenties past the time when you could legitimately consider them a prospect both failed in their shot when a spot was open, both failed several times actually.  A couple of players who had a chance and didn't take advantage of it with their original organization now start the AHL depth phase of their career probably bouncing from organization to organization for a few seasons with one or both destined for the KHL shortly after that. Bailey at least has an interesting back story as his father played in the NFL for a bit. 

At least they made it as far as they did. I often wonder how tough it must be for guys like this who came this close to the real money and fame but didn't quite cash in.

15 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm waiting to be wrong, but in the mean time, it really looks like Leier was traded because Fletcher was feeling pressure to make SOME kind of move, so he made a move that would have as little effect as possible on anything.  

That move doesn't alleviate any pressure.  In fact, a move like that might lead to more angst/pressure given how meaningless it is.  

Maybe Fletcher told Leier he'd move him (for Leier's benefit) if he didn't see a future for him here.  GMs do that kind of stuff sometimes to give kids a change of scenery and a shot at making elsewhere.

In all, it seems like Fletcher is removing underbrush on the depth chart that, at least optically, appear to be blocking some of the bona fide prospects from moving up.  Raffl will be next to go.  Lehtera is done after this season.  Folin won't be back.  I suspect MacDonald may find himself out of town one way or another.   

1 minute ago, vis said:

In all, it seems like Fletcher is removing underbrush on the depth chart that, at least optically, appear to be blocking some of the bona fide prospects from moving up.  Raffl will be next to go.  Lehtera is done after this season.  Folin won't be back.  I suspect MacDonald may find himself out of town one way or another.   

Leier was blocking no one. Fletcher decides who goes up and who doesn't.  If he doesn't want Gordon to play Leier, then don't give him Leier.  That simple.  The "favor to the player" is the best case scenario IMHO.  

The thing about everyone else you listed is that it was all likely happening anyway.  This was the plan.  This is why they were here on the contracts they were on...  Except for Mac.  

This actually was the plan... for these guys to vacate NOW when the Mishas and the Germs and the Myerses and the Frosts were ready.

This isn't actually "doing" anything, it's simply letting the existing scenario play out.  

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

This isn't actually "doing" anything, it's simply letting the existing scenario play out.  

I was referring more to Weal and Weise.  You think those moves were part of Hextall's existing scenario (assuming Weise is dealt or doesn't suit up again)?

23 minutes ago, vis said:

I was referring more to Weal and Weise.  You think those moves were part of Hextall's existing scenario (assuming Weise is dealt or doesn't suit up again)?

I think by the end of the year, most likely, yes.  Hextall had shown that he could buy out a contract, trade a player at the deadline, or not at the deadline if it saved cap space or made room.  

They'd invested a bit of time into Weal and maybe screwed him over a bit while he was with the Phantoms (see Riley Cote's comments from that time), and he was promising at the end of two seasons ago, so they gave him a whirl.  Didn't work out.  His contract is up and he's UFA, so yeah... I think Hextall would have traded him if he had the chance.  That fits with Hextall's MO.

Weise might have stuck around for his last year or might have been traded or maybe even could have been waived like he was.  It doesn't really matter.  Think about it, what does waiving Weise do?  They haven't replaced him on the roster yet.  He's actually by everyone's account having his best year as a Flyer.  What was the point of waiving him?  What did it achieve?  It gives Lehtera more chances to almost torpedo decent efforts like the Boston game.  So what was the goal?  What was the point?  All it means now is that you absolutely can't waive Lehtera because there's no room on the Phantoms.  

Raffl is in the last year of his contract, and although he was very useful (if not actually "good") I doubt he'll be back, so yeah, I'd have expected Hextall to deal him too if he could and I kinda expect Fletcher to move him too if he can, but for a guy like Raffl with some actual upside in the NHL, it makes sense to hold off until teams are more desperate, so it's not like I'm faulting fletcher for not moving him.  I fully expect him to do so.  

We'll never know what Hextall's existing scenario was, but if you'd have asked me at the beginning of the season, what do I think Hextall would do with these players if the flyers aren't in playoffs positioning?  I'd say that bsed on his previous MO, all and any of them would get moved to make room for the kids he's been stockpiling for 5 years and not give up assets for nothing in the process.   

Not just Mischa and the Germ and Myers, but guys like Frost, Strohme, Radcliffe, Allison, even Farabee are all going to be in rookie camp next year trying to make a case.  Few will make the big club, but several will need to make the Phantoms, which means there needs to be room on the Phantoms too.  

In fact, if I'm Fletcher (and if it was still hextall) I'd be shopping the hell out of Varone right now too.  He's a damn UFA.

Frankly, that's part of what doesn't make sense about the Leier deal to me.  Moving his roster spot to make room for junior and college kids next season (and in the spring for the playoffs even) actually makes sense except Bailey is taking up that same roster spot now.  

It's just curious.  

Complete side note:  Jordan Weal is now the 4th most highly paid forward on the Arizona Coyotes.  

No.  Really.  

As a season ticket holder for the Rochester Amerks I have had a chance to see Bailey play a lot. He is streaky. Dominate at times then invisible for stretches. Can bring some grit but he would be nothing more than a 4th liner or popcorn maker with the big club. 

I’d say this trade is a wash and may be nothing more than a change of scenery & fresh start for two AHL players. 

I rate it as Meh.

5 hours ago, King Knut said:

I'm failing to see the purpose of this deal for any reason at all whatsoever except that perhaps as a favor to Leier...  maybe? 

He will be the winger that fills the gap when NAK gets called up soon.

Phantom lineup will be this so NAK gets a chance to prove himself.

The goalie situation i think will need to be resolved before this goes down maybe. So Stolie will replace McKenna and McKenna will be Hart's backup.

10 Carey 25 Bunnaman 95 Justin Bailey 

24 Twarynski 15 Vorobyev 13 McDonald

27 Mike Huntebrinker 21 Vecchione 22 Conner

12 Goulbourne 11 Swavely 36 Krushelnyski

Not sure where Weise will play he doesn't have to play for the Phantoms just yet.

However NAK needs this chance.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

He will be the winger that fills the gap when NAK gets called up soon.

Phantom lineup will be this so NAK gets a chance to prove himself.

The goalie situation i think will need to be resolved before this goes down maybe. So Stolie will replace McKenna and McKenna will be Hart's backup.

10 Carey 25 Bunnaman 95 Justin Bailey 

24 Twarynski 15 Vorobyev 13 McDonald

27 Mike Huntebrinker 21 Vecchione 22 Conner

12 Goulbourne 11 Swavely 36 Krushelnyski

Not sure where Weise will play he doesn't have to play for the Phantoms just yet.

However NAK needs this chance.

Are you thinking this because Bailey's bigger and he'll replace NAK's physicality?  Because either way the Phantoms are down a forward if they bring up NAK.

I figured that's what would happen with the goalies... of course McKenna will have to pass through waivers to go to the AHL won't he?  Shouldn't be a problem since that's where they found him to begin with.  

I feel a little bad for Elliott, but I'm hoping we don't have to bother dressing either him or Neuvy from here on out.  

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sorry but it was a miss not all draft picks pan out. Leier is unfortunately just a career AHLer...it happens.

So is Bailey most likely.  Leier's just faster which is more valuable in today's league.  

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sorry but it was a miss not all draft picks pan out. Leier is unfortunately just a career AHLer...it happens.

It's a 4 year old Franchise and he's 24.  It's not like he's TJ Brennan or Mitch Lameroux or someone. 

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Also, what are you sorry about?  He was a fourth round pick... they rarely ever pan out.  I'm sorry if anything I wrote suggested I care that he didn't pan out or didn't get a proper shake.  I could care less about Leier (no offense Taylor).  

He is a career AHLer.  You're right.  He got his shot.  Wasn't great.  Wasn't terrible.  Will probably get his shot again someday... classic AHL depth guy you can bring up when injuries prescribe it.  He's just faster than most.  

I'm not lamenting the move... I'm just questioning what the point was.  What the point of any of these moves has been.  

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

So is Bailey most likely.  Leier's just faster which is more valuable in today's league.  

This exactly. I don't care that they gave up on Leier. It took them about 2 years longer than me. Couldn't care less. 

But they got back equally forgettable and an equal bust. Worse, actually, because the Sabres spent a second rounder on nothing. 

I mean, I'm not complaining about the return. You trade nothing, you get nothing. Period. I'm not going to pretend for 2 seconds that Bailey (nor Leier) is more than nothing. 

What I'm curious about is why bother? Is it simply a messaging thing to the Facebook Flyers fans of "see? We're trying to do something." 

Nah. It's nothing. 

4 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Are you thinking this because Bailey's bigger and he'll replace NAK's physicality?

No not say just his physicality....he will just replace NAK so he can play on the Flyers soon. Unless Fletcher trades NAK.

The Phantoms need guys to play for them still when NAK is moved soon is all. I really hope Fletcher doesn't trade this kid.

I want him on the Flyers. He could plug Simmer's spot on the 3rd line LW if/when Simmer is moved or at least help out on the 4th in Weise's spot.

Kid is very good 5 on 5 and is very physical. I would like to see him get his shot is all i am saying.

Leier and Bailey more than likely are just swaps of career AHLer more than likely Bailey is just bigger.

9 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Leier's just faster which is more valuable in today's league.

Didn't translate to the NHL. Sorry.

9 minutes ago, King Knut said:

It's not like he's TJ Brennan or Mitch Lameroux or someone. 

Sure but you seen his name compared to Chris Conner....another career AHLer...it's all he is i wish him luck with the Sabres...nothing to see here really.

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Couldn't care less. 

Exactly...much more we could talk about than this move.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hadn't really read much of the thread. I mean, it's worth taking about. It's certainly better than yet another thread of [insert name ]  sucks.  It's a message board, so that's fine too, but this is at least something new and different. 

And you may have a decent point about getting someone to fill NAK's role if/when he's moved up. 

But the players involved, I really couldn't care less. 

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Didn't translate to the NHL. Sorry.

Sure but you seen his name compared to Chris Conner....another career AHLer...it's all he is i wish him luck with the Sabres...nothing to see here really.

This is an AHL trade for sure. Bailey was given chances up in Buffalo.  I did not follow him much this year in Rochester but knew he would never get back to the NHL with the Sabres.  Headed to Phantoms for sure. Might help them. I know nothing about this kid from your team

Archived