That’s the first-place Islanders, by the way

musky

For 40 minutes last night, instead of Spy vs. Spy it was Trotz vs. Trotz. Once again the Capitals found in their former coach’s new team a near-mirror image of themselves.

Except: what the Islanders lacked in talent (or as Trotz called the Capitals, “more exotic”), they made up in positional discipline and timely goaltending. They did The Trotz way better than the Capitals did The Trotz. It was scoreless through 40 minutes until Josh Bailey and Cal Clutterbuck broke the seal with two goals in the span of a couple of minutes. But even before that, the Islanders were the better team.

Yada yada the Islanders are in first place on the 19th day of January, the Year Of Our Bossy 2019

c/p

d113e056e65bbb50a7fb91fa7fcad3bc.jpg

Well, all I gotta say is shame on me, because while there is plenty of season to go, and standings position can still change wildly in the Metro, I really never gave the Islanders a chance to even be IN this thing, much less hold the lead position in their division.

Why?
Obviously because Big Bad Johnny T went to the Leafs, which pushed Barzal, a very good player, to a position where I felt he would be exposed as a 1C.

But the Isles this season are NOT about having the most elite players, or having a high powered offense.
When I figured the Isles would be near the bottom of the standings, I never really took into account the Trotz Factor.

Yes, forget what he did with the Capitals.
Sure, he won a Cup with them, but that team was pretty much loaded and he helped mold them into a better overall team (not just about goal scoring), and combined with the talent already there, won the Cup in convincing fashion.

No....I am talking about remembering what he did for YEARS with Nashville Predators clubs, who, like the current Islanders, lacked in big name, star/elite players, but had plenty of grit, hockey intelligence, defensive posture, and goalies who could stop the puck when needed.

Trotz' former Predators teams would grind out wins, beat teams up (in the hockey sense, not necessarily the fighting sense), wear them down....and then, once that happened, or if a team underestimated their offensive ability, they THEN would hang a three or four spot on the scoreboard...usually enough for a win.

That's pretty much what he has brought to the Islanders. The Trotz Factor.
Working within the confines of what he has, while at the same time, bringing out the very best he can out of each and every guy on the team.....and even having some guys play above their heads....and all done as a complete cohesive unit.

And it sure as hell helps that Robin Lehner, the much maligned Robin Lehner, is showing what he can do when personal demons aren't nipping at his heels.

So yea, shame on me for not taking into account The Trotz Factor.
I had the Isles fishing around the bottom of the Metro...maybe in the Hughes sweepstakes....just based on the overall lack of big names on the team and the loss of John Tavares.

They've still got a lot of work to do before they can call themselves a lock to get into the post season, but man, the way they conduct business, it would be hard to bet against them getting in and causing problems for ANY team they happen to be matched up with.

I had the Caps, Jackets and Pens as the class of the division, and I still sorta stand by that, but I definitely am paying attention to those Brooklyn Boys now. They just may go and upset fans of those other three teams...and possibly some from the Atlantic division if the Isles happen to grab a wild card spot instead.

Archived