Wild claim defenseman Bitetto off waivers

IllaZilla

Cool...you beat me to this...just saw a headline pop up on my feed.

Some more minor moves for the Wild in an attempt to offset the loss of Mat Dumba.
And another move that costs the Wild nothing, but has the potential to at least stabilize or at least add a bit of insurance to the blue line.

Once again, this move, will NOT replace (not even close) any of Dumba's production, but it will certainly provide the Wild with another little used, in his prime, more defensively responsible player.

Bitetto will hit a bit, block shots and generally man his position reasonably well....he may make a very good partner for a defenseman to be set loose to be more offensive....looking at YOU Brodin, as Jared Spurgeon (maybe Brad Hunt) seem to be the only one who can provide a meaningful threat from the back end.

Cap hit is only 650K for Bit and he is a UFA at season's end so if the Wild don't like what they see, they have no further obligation to him.

Poor Nate Prosser...I can hear him now....
"Heeyyyyyyyy…..it's getting crowded down here!! Where did all these sub 700K defensemen come from all of a sudden?? I thought I was your go-to extra guy!!" :bigteeth:

Total head scratcher for me.   Acquiring two LHD in a week when you already have three.   A Wild guess? .... this sets up another trade.   

But, that doesn't make sense either, unless Seeler or Brodin are the ones moved.

2 minutes ago, 4Check said:

Total head scratcher for me.   Acquiring two LHD in a week when you already have three.   A Wild guess? .... this sets up another trade.   

But, that doesn't make sense either, unless Seeler or Brodin are the ones moved.

Perhaps.
But I think it is all being done in the name of insurance. Minnesota does NOT want to find themselves short on, then scrambling for, defensemen if they happen to sneak into the playoffs.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind if Brodin IS moved.
That was a move, I have contended for about two seasons now, that should have been done.
It's not that I don't like Brodin, but his skillset is something that seems to me, has more value to Minnesota as an affordable, tradeable player, who may fit in with a deeper, more playoff ready team....who may then send either a younger player with a bit more offensive upside Minnesota's way, or something in the form of picks to improve the Wild's draft board.

Bitetto costs Minnesota nothing, so why not?
The ol, quantity over quality at this point....and if someone surprises, then great...if not, then no big loss.

And if you are right, and someone IS moved, well, then, the Wild will still have blue line bodies and a bit more cap space.

7 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Perhaps.
But I think it is all being done in the name of insurance. Minnesota does NOT want to find themselves short on, then scrambling for, defensemen if they happen to sneak into the playoffs.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind if Brodin IS moved.
That was a move, I have contended for about two seasons now, that should have been done.
It's not that I don't like Brodin, but his skillset is something that seems to me, has more value to Minnesota as an affordable, tradeable player, who may fit in with a deeper, more playoff ready team....who may then send either a younger player with a bit more offensive upside Minnesota's way, or something in the form of picks to improve the Wild's draft board.

Bitetto costs Minnesota nothing, so why not?
The ol, quantity over quality at this point....and if someone surprises, then great...if not, then no big loss.

And if you are right, and someone IS moved, well, then, the Wild will still have blue line bodies and a bit more cap space.

I also could see Brodin moved.  And after Seeler went hockey viral with 3 blocked shots in 12 seconds, I would imagine that got some interest piqued around the league.   But from a depth standpoint, that's still a lot of LHD.  And IMO, not much of an upgrade on Bartkowski down in Iowa.

3 minutes ago, 4Check said:

I also could see Brodin moved. 

4, care to elaborate? We protected him with the expense of losing two top prospects. After that he's played well. Why would we want to get rid of him? Sure I know there'd be plenty of takers...

18 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

4, care to elaborate? We protected him with the expense of losing two top prospects. After that he's played well. Why would we want to get rid of him? Sure I know there'd be plenty of takers...

What an excellent point you made on the cost of protecting Brodin.   And, personally, I really like Brodin's game.  But I don't think he's indispensable. (Frankly, the Wild IMO do not have any indispensable players).    So, if Brodin is part of a package which brings a leigt #1 Center or  sniper, that would be the cost of filling IMO, critical roles that are desperately needed.   

BTW, I think it will take a 3 for one at least, to acquire the above.

7 minutes ago, 4Check said:

What an excellent point you made on the cost of protecting Brodin.   And, personally, I really like Brodin's game.  But I don't think he's indispensable. (Frankly, the Wild IMO do not have any indispensable players).    So, if Brodin is part of a package which brings a leigt #1 Center or  sniper, that would be the cost of filling IMO, critical roles that are desperately needed.   

Fair enough. But Brodin is our 2nd pair D-man, Dumba already out. Who do you replace them with? With these fringe D-men we keep adding hoping some will pan out? Legit #1 center is needed sure but the hole after trading Brodin has to be filled too.

8 minutes ago, 4Check said:

BTW, I think it will take a 3 for one at least, to acquire the above.

This part right here. Spot on.

If Brodin stays on....ok, not a problem, but I feel he is more valuable as a trade chip than as someone manning our blue line.
And for the over 4M he makes, I think the Wild can make due with some lesser paid, hungry defensemen who just want a shot (such as guys like Brad Hunt or Anthony Bitetto), and just haven't gotten it with the team they were with due to that other team's depth at that position.

I don't think Brodin SHOULD have been protected at the expansion draft.
I know the Wild FO was wanting to see if they can get more out of him, but I think he is what he is...a solid, dependable, sometimes very good, but NEVER great defenseman, who CAN be replaced.

8 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Fair enough. But Brodin is our 2nd pair D-man, Dumba already out. Who do you replace them with? With these fringe D-men we keep adding hoping some will pan out? Legit #1 center is needed sure but the hole after trading Brodin has to be filled too.

Any way the Wild can get a #1 C or quality sniper IMO,  is worth the short term pain.  again in IMO, they can't be long term successful without filling those slots.   For me,  excellent goaltender,  two elite D (including PP QB) a #1 C plus an  elite finisher are the 5 slots you need to  fill for a long Play off run.    The other two top 4 D and 7 other top 9 forwards can come from the next tier of quality., which of course are much easier to develop/acquire.

15 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

And I believe your point here is magnified by what I feel is the obvious.   The Wild today would trade Brodin for Tuch in a hearbeat.

2 hours ago, 4Check said:

I also could see Brodin moved.  And after Seeler went hockey viral with 3 blocked shots in 12 seconds, I would imagine that got some interest piqued around the league.   But from a depth standpoint, that's still a lot of LHD.  And IMO, not much of an upgrade on Bartkowski down in Iowa.

Not likely. When Suter went down last year Brodin became our 1LD. He's also seen more PP time since then on a regular basis, plus he's one of a very select few (he, Granlund and to a lessor degree Coyle) to actually be given more ice time than others in his peer group from the time he was a rookie to now. 

I liked what Seeler showed last year and was 50/50 on him landing a full time NHL spot this year, but once they penned Prosser in there it showed management wasn't as interested in him as I had hoped (and I'm okay with that.) Plus, those 3 blocked shots in 12 seconds was only one game. He's yet to completely 'drink the water' like a few others with rings in their nose - so there is that. Until he elevates to that the chances of management trusting him enough full time is slim to none.

edit: I should add... The Wild's top brass rate Brodin a lot higher than others, why I don't know but he's a lot like Suter. Stay at home defenders who over the last 4 years are finally beginning to look like they can contribute offensively.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I know the Wild FO was wanting to see if they can get more out of him, but I think he is what he is...a solid, dependable, sometimes very good, but NEVER great defenseman, who CAN be replaced.

I think the reason he was protected was Ryan Suter ‘s injury. The injury happened April 4. Everyone said it was a devastating injury. Some were saying it could be career ending. 

The Vegas Expansion Draft was June 18. Do you keep Dumba or Brodin? You potentially are looking at losing one of them. Or do you give up other assets to ensure that you keep both defensemen? Because you don’t know if Suter is going to return at the start of the 2018-19 season, if he returns at all. 

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I think the reason he was protected was Ryan Suter ‘s injury. The injury happened April 4. Everyone said it was a devastating injury. Some were saying it could be career ending. 

The Vegas Expansion Draft was June 18. Do you keep Dumba or Brodin? You potentially are looking at losing one of them. Or do you give up other assets to ensure that you keep both defensemen? Because you don’t know if Suter is going to return at the start of the 2018-19 season, if he returns at all. 

But the expanyion draft wss the year before Suter got hurt wasn't it.

50 minutes ago, Bear said:

But the expanyion draft wss the year before Suter got hurt wasn't it.

Whoops my bad. 🤦‍♀️ 

Then I have no idea why Fletcher chose to protect Brodin over Dumba unless he still believed Brodin was going to be the next Nik Lidstrom...

57 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Whoops my bad. 🤦‍♀️ 

Then I have no idea why Fletcher chose to protect Brodin over Dumba unless he still believed Brodin was going to be the next Nik Lidstrom...

It is true that Brodin was protected and Dumba wasn't.  But technically Fletcher knew he could protect both (plus Eric Staal) by making the pre expansion draft deal with Vegas losing Haula and Tuch.   In looking back on the draft list, two things struck me.   The original Pominville trade & subsequent contract (forced to protect him with his NMC) for all practical purposes cost them a 1st, 2nd and  eventually Tuch.   And secondly what a difference a year and a half makes. Vegas IMO  likely would have chosen an unprotected Nino and Tuch would be filling a huge hole on the Wild's right side. All easy hindsight.  But what's the old GM adage, .......some of the best deals are the ones that don't get made.

Meh yeah looks like this GM is so much better than Fletcher....hee hee...if they are planning on activating Eric Fehr someone will have to go on waivers...reminds of a Holmgren move painting yourself into a corner...

Wild will have to carry eight defensemen and there will be no room to recall Joel Eriksson Ek or Luke Kunin, who were both reassigned to Iowa on Thursday.

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Meh yeah looks like this GM is so much better than Fletcher....hee hee...if they are planning on activating Eric Fehr someone will have to go on waivers...reminds of a Holmgren move painting yourself into a corner...

Wild will have to carry eight defensemen and there will be no room to recall Joel Eriksson Ek or Luke Kunin, who were both reassigned to Iowa on Thursday.

I’m guessing Nate Prosser will be the sacrificial lamb. 

To be fair, Fletcher had years to create the current Wild, for better or worse. Fenton hasn’t even been on the job for a year, and has been told by the owner “No Rebuild.” Takes away some of his ability to craft a roster. 

But yeah, so far I’ve been underwhelmed with his moves...

55 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

To be fair, Fletcher had years to create the current Wild, for better or worse. Fenton hasn’t even been on the job for a year, and has been told by the owner “No Rebuild.” Takes away some of his ability to craft a roster. 

Poor Nate....
Always a good soldier, never complains, isn't hard at ALL on the cap.....and his play, while no where near elite, is still solid....certainly better than some other players passing themselves off as "defensemen" in this league....

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Which is kind of frightening since Prosser has proven time and again he's a good soldier (and knows the system inside and out) while the new pickups are totally unproven.

We've seen Fletcher make these same kind of moves before only to pick up the phone and give 'old reliable' a phone call and bring him back. To me Prosser has always been one of those, 'if it's not broke don't fix it' kind of players. He's not great but he's steady and reliable as all hell.

2 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

Which is kind of frightening since Prosser has proven time and again he's a good soldier (and knows the system inside and out) while the new pickups are totally unproven.

We've seen Fletcher make these same kind of moves before only to pick up the phone and give 'old reliable' a phone call and bring him back. To me Prosser has always been one of those, 'if it's not broke don't fix it' kind of players. He's not great but he's steady and reliable as all hell.

That's where I feel bad for Prosser. He's the consummate team player. Doesn't get a lot of ice time, but he's ready when they need him. Doesn't pout about his ice time or who he is paired with or his contract. Just goes out and does his job.

Archived