Wild claim defenseman Bitetto off waivers

IllaZilla

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

That's where I feel bad for Prosser. He's the consummate team player. Doesn't get a lot of ice time, but he's ready when they need him. Doesn't pout about his ice time or who he is paired with or his contract. Just goes out and does his job.

And you know, paired with the RIGHT partner, Prosser can be quite effective.
Which is why in another thread I put out there that Justin Falk was put on waivers by the Ottawa Senators....and that Minnesota should have gotten HIM instead....IMO, it probably would have been better for the team short term than this Bitetto claim.

Why?
Because for whatever reason, when Falk played last with the Wild AND was paired regularly with Nate Prosser, the two fed off each other with regards to hitting, disrupting, and generally pissing off the opposition.  They reminded me of an NHL version of the movie Mighty Ducks "Bash Brothers".

Each on their own (Prosser and Falk), they are just so so NHL defensemen...but together, seemed to be more than the sum of their parts.
I STILL wouldn't want that pair facing down the opponent's top line, or even their second line on a regular basis, but Nate and Justin were more than adequate, together, to deal and bang bodies with anyone's 3rd and 4th lines.

The NHL needs more foot soldiers like Nate Prosser. Healthy, capable guys who, like you said, just go out and do what is asked of them to the best of their abilities.

47 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Why sour on Brodin? He skates well, smoothly in fact, is poised, positions well and takes care of his area of the ice. He's one of the most consistent performers on the roster.

Solid assessment of Brodin's game.  But doesn't change the reality, that IMO the Wild lack elite pieces needed to build a contender.  IMO,  the only way to get them is to A) develop through the draft,  B) free agency, or  C) offer several good pieces to hopefully in return acquire an elite one.   The Wild are a team full of good players, some really good, but IMO none which are elite.   I'm trying to remember a Cup champion, at least since the 1940's which didn't have at least three elite players on their roster.  Only one comes to mind....the Carolina Hurricanes. And one, I suppose, could  argue the '93 Montreal Canadiens.

1 hour ago, Icechipper said:

Why sour on Brodin? He skates well, smoothly in fact, is poised, positions well and takes care of his area of the ice. He's one of the most consistent performers on the roster.

I can't speak for others, but I certainly am NOT 'soured' on Brodin.
I think he is all you say he is....but I also like @4Check 's take on the defensemen/elite status situation.

Brodin would fit in just about any team's lineup, but for the Wild's needs, they just don't have that guy that can be considered top shelf on the blue line..... Suter when he first got here from a defensive standpoint, and maybe, perhaps, Dumba can be that when he returns as an all around guy...but Brodin will never be as good as Suter was, or Dumba can be.

And that isn't necessarily a bad thing, or makes Brodin bad....it just means, IMO, that he would be attractive to other teams...perhaps attractive enough for them to fork over a couple players maybe a pick as well, that the Wild can use to try to bolster the team in general.

So, some may ask, do I think guys like Hunt, Falk, Prosster, or this latest grab, Bitetto are BETTER than Brodin?

No. I wouldn't say so. 
Jonas is a much better rounded player one for one than any of those guys.....but right now, the Wild need lower cost alternatives (which all those other guys are) while they lower their cap hits and figure out who long term solutions could be.

Those other guys, together, can be viewed as the "change" to Brodin's full dollar bill.
That is, Brodin does many things on his own better than those guys by themselves, but collectively, they may do enough to tide Minnesota over till they get Dumba back and find that next "it" defender.
And it means that Brodin's departure and subsequent return haul for Minnesota could help in that search.

And some of those guys CAN do a couple things that Brodin simply doesn't do on his own as well....and that is to play a better physical game and maybe even shoot the puck more.
And all at a combined cost less than what Brodin is costing the team in cap.

How many times have we heard, "The Wild aren't tough enough on puck carriers" or "The Wild don't shoot the puck enough"....I think a group like that can address some of those things.

Brodin definitely has above average defensive skills, but he's as finesse as they come. For each of the last three years he's been shy to frightened, to a duck out of water on the blue line offensively. He's come around nicely but he's had the term 'shoot the puck more' in his ear during that time, which is longer than it takes to breast feed and wean a baby. If I weren't so old I'd loan him one of my testicles.

Take Spurgeon pulling Landeskog (all sprawled out on Dubnyk) by the jersey out of the crease for instance... Brodin would never do something like that. What's REALLY funny is Landeskog shot a heated glance back at Spurgeon and basically half smiled and sort of gave him a nod. Brodin knows he would have got his ass kicked so he's beat before he even starts.

Btw, Spurgeon is listed at 5'9" and 164-167 pounds. Brodin 6'1" and 198 pounds. I'm betting Spurgeon is closer to 5'7" than he is 5'9" and his weight is questionable.

14 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Those other guys, together, can be viewed as the "change" to Brodin's full dollar bill.
That is, Brodin does many things on his own better than those guys by themselves, but collectively, they may do enough to tide Minnesota over till they get Dumba back and find that next "it" defender.
And it means that Brodin's departure and subsequent return haul for Minnesota could help in that search.

I think this is what Fenton may be doing. The Nino trade was basically Aberg/Rask for Nino. 

Nino has 13 goals total this season. Aberg/Rask have 12. Plus they are roughly $1.5M cheaper.

Good to read so many people's opinions on Brodin. All great points for and against.

It seemed most didn't care for him overall while I thought it was nice to have a stable player on D.

I personally wouldn't want to see Brodin go unprotected in the draft...  I'd rather see him involved in a bigger trade than to lose him outright, Unless there was solid evidence on protecting others. Because of uncertainty or lack off playing time (Haula and Tuch) I wouldn't want to see that situation again.

I'd guess Brodin is being shopped heavily.  But that's nothing new for this franchise.  I am not sure I'd say I feel sorry for Prosser.  But I do think this is a case where Prosser was Fletcher / Yeo's guy not Fenton's guy.  Bitetto is that steady, if unflashy 7th defenseman for Nashville.  He's reasonably physical, keeps it simple and is a little younger than Prosser.  Prosser does have kind of a two-way deal.  My guess is he ends up getting sent down to Iowa.  

Archived