The future is here: Carter Hart

OccamsRazor

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

It's like...he knows.   

THIS!

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

This is fun.   I know this is of extreme importance to you and you'll  be awed and amazed, but I picked him up in our fantasy league the day or two before he was recalled.  Riding him like a rented mule.

What?? You're not afraid of jinxing him??

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

THIS!

What?? You're not afraid of jinxing him??

If I start to, I'll trade him for a boat load.   But the intention is to keep him for several years.

There are a bunch in this thread in the same league, so they'll tell you I trade because the sun is going down.   But it's a league where quality goaltending is at a premium, so I'll keep him until he's got his AARP card.

The other thing the other league members (both leagues, actually) will tell you is that it really is dangerous territory for a goalie.  I don't usually break them when I have them, but they usually break within days after I trade them away.  Either injury, suspension, or just sudden suckage.   Bobrovsky is struggling (well, not doing well) and got suspended for one reason and one reason only...

I really do believe in this crap, by the way.  It's the same thing that makes me certain that the goal just scored on the Flyers (or touchdown on the Eagles) was the direct result of my wife coming in to ask me how the game's going or if I want something to drink.  

Runs against the Phillies are due solely to the fact they suck.  I don't watch them and don't care.

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I really do believe in this crap, by the way.  It's the same thing that makes me certain that the goal just scored on the Flyers (or touchdown on the Eagles) was the direct result of my wife coming in to ask me how the game's going or if I want something to drink.  

Runs against the Phillies are due solely to the fact they suck.  I don't watch them and don't care.

Philly sports fans are simply the best! Exhibit A.👆

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Image result for carter hart save gifs

Is the time now??? Can this last??? Are we dreaming or witnessing greatness???

Ok i have waited to start a thread on this kid but after last nights calm impressive vet like performance i won't wait any longer.

Someone pinch me can this be it?? Have the Flyers finally found the guy between the pipes for the next decade plus??

I know it's early and the kid has only 13 games under his belt. But it just feels to unreal. 

For myself i did witness the great Pelle Lindbergh so really as a Flyer fan i never witnessed a true stud playing in net in my time watching the Flyers.

When i started watching they (92-93) the Soderstrom and Roussel in goal. I have to say the best pedigree in net i ever watch had to be Mason.

Sure i watch the old past his prime Hextall. Bob would have to be the best home grown talent but we know what happened to him.

So the best goalie the Flyers ever brought up through the system was Boucher and Niittymaki. That is it. And that is a terrible track record for 26 year of hockey watching.

Sure there were some decent guys sprinkled in there sort of like Sean Burke and Biron maybe but never any true 10 bell saving home grown talent for the team to lean on.

But now it seems like those time are changing. And man i have to say it feels so good to now instead holding my breath everytime the puck gets down around the Flyers goal to be just amazed and having to rewind it to see an impressive save by some Flyers goalie flashing the glove save or kicking out the leg or blocker to kick the puck away. I am just beside myself right now.

Yet i will tell you this without doubt i can get use to this. Us Flyers fans truly truly deserve this.....finally. Now i do understand there will still be some ups and downs to come but i think they have just the kid to handle it. I don't even know what it is like to go into 2019-20 with the Flyers for once not having the yearly huge goalie questions.

His play has inspired the team in front of his and if you don't believe it then you haven't been watching. Because they have still be making mistakes in their own end but they are not looking as panicky because it seems like the whole team knows he has their back and is going to bail them out. Just refreshing i must say. Keep it going and finish the season out strong and let the chips fall where they may.

I know he hasn't played the amount of game some of the top guys have this year but his 922% would be good for 6th best in the league this year.

And his goals against would be 13th and steadily dropping. Man just keep this kid safe and way from sports cars. This team just need another piece or two for next year.

Hold on tight i guess we are in for a wild ride....

The truly beautiful thing about Hart to me is how damn boring he looks.  His highlight reel saves aren't acrobatic, they're not death defying, they're not groin splitting, they're none of the things we've been trained to believe is awesome goaltending.

Instead, the dude is just always in position.  Always square to the shooter.  You think he's going to have to stretch out to make a save on a 2-1? He's already there, staring at the guy with the puck taking up net.

He just knows where to be.  he knows what the other guys are going to do before they do it.  He sees everyone out there and he just knows what they're going to do.  

What's more, the team is protecting him.  They're standing up for him, they're not letting penetration in much, they're not letting them crash his net.  They're taking care of the kid. 

We'll see how he progresses, but let's face it...  there aren't too many tougher tests in this league than Laine staring you down unchecked with a wide open shot.  

I don't think Fletcher necessarily wanted to bring him up so soon either.  Granted, he was more likely to do so than Hextall, but I really don't think either of them wanted to see him until the spring at best.  

The injury bug had other plans.  And here we come to my grand fear.  He's positionally more sound than any other goalie (Stolarz is closest) and I personally believe that leads to fewer injuries... especially if he's protected.  I'm not thrilled with how the goalie coach and training staff have dealt with the goalies since Reese left.  

That said, Hakstol tended to run his guys into the ground and the team tended to never ever ever protect them and let them get crashed and interfered with A LOT.  

If Gordon (or whoever going forward) can avoid the same mistakes (and so far he is-knock wood) then I might be encouraged.  

4 hours ago, flyerrod said:

I ask this before and I ask it again, "Where would this team be if they had started the season with Hart in goal?"

Well if Ron Hextall would have honored what he said would happen.

He said the players have to play there way on the team and Hart did.

He was the best goalie in the preseason so who knows what would have happened he should have been given the start at the beginning of the season.

But he also did the same with Morin too when Sam out played Hagg and Morin got sent down.

Ron talked out both sides of his mouth.

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Carter Hart is the first Flyers goalie to record a four-game winning streak before his 21st birthday. Since Jan. 5, he owns an NHL-most 260 saves, a 2.39 goals-against average and a 5-2-1 record.

John Boruk pointed out on Twitter that the last goalie to do that was Steve Mason. "Before we get too excited," he said. 

I've never liked John Boruk. 

43 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

John Boruk pointed out on Twitter that the last goalie to do that was Steve Mason. "Before we get too excited," he said. 

Steve was a mental midget too though.

This kid is nothing like that though.

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

he's an empty chin.

can't stand him either.

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well if Ron Hextall would have honored what he said would happen.

He said the players have to play there way on the team and Hart did.

He was the best goalie in the preseason so who knows what would have happened he should have been given the start at the beginning of the season.

But he also did the same with Morin too when Sam out played Hagg and Morin got sent down.

Ron talked out both sides of his mouth.

I don't have a problem with Hextall not starting Hart this season. He's playing the toughest position in hockey, on a team that plays poor defence, and is one year older than a teenager.

Pretty easy to eff that up. 

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't have a problem with Hextall not starting Hart this season. He's playing the toughest position in hockey, on a team that plays poor defence, and is one year older than a teenager.

Pretty easy to eff that up. 

Well the problem was he said he would play the best players after he claimed the kids would have to outplay the vets.

Hart outplayed all of them. So bottom line he lied doesn't look good to lie like that. Especially to all the other players.

I myself don't like liars....just don't make statement you are not going to honor. It's bad for business. I am glad he GONE!

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well the problem was he said he would play the best players after he claimed the kids would have to outplay the vets.

Hart outplayed all of them. So bottom line he lied doesn't look good to lie like that. Especially to all the other players.

I myself don't like liars....just don't make statement you are not going to honor. It's bad for business. I am glad he GONE!

I'm not disagreeing that Hart played well. It's just the position, which generally takes way longer than any other to develop. And the fact that it looked like the Flyers may have FINALLY, after all those...decades, actually found a real goalie...I wouldn't blame anyone for treating him with kid gloves. Heck, I'm still ready to send him back if he goes into a skid. 

But he sure looks good.

As for glad Hextalls gone...we wouldn't have Hart without him.

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm not disagreeing that Hart played well. It's just the position, which generally takes way longer than any other to develop. And the fact that it looked like the Flyers may have FINALLY, after all those...decades, actually found a real goalie...I wouldn't blame anyone for treating him with kid gloves. Heck, I'm still ready to send him back if he goes into a skid. 

But he sure looks good.

As for glad Hextalls gone...we wouldn't have Hart without him.

Sure but he could of did right by him and reward him let him play and if he got lit up sent him to the Phantoms.

It's just as of right now makes me think of where they could have been with him to start the season.

However then Hextall and Hak would still be here so yeah i guess i wouldn't want to un do that part.

5 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The way Stolak played last night, who knows?  You know they have to give him another shot after last night. Why not just give the Vezina to Hart right now. The second coming of Dominic Hasek no doubt:eyeroll:

He plays more positionally sound and doesn't flop around like a fish out of the water to be compared to Hasek.

Who knows how many Vezinas are in this kid's future we'll see soon.

Sounds like you are hating because a 20 year old has better numbers than the Sabre goalies.

Hart 922% 2.53 gaa

Ullmark 914% 2.93 gaa

Hutton 911% 2.79 gaa

Thanks jealousy doesn't suit you well.

And Stolie is just fine as Hart's backup thanks.

5 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The way Stolak played last night, who knows?  You know they have to give him another shot after last night. Why not just give the Vezina to Hart right now. The second coming of Dominic Hasek no doubt:eyeroll:

Stolak?

I can't believe you didn't screw "Hart" up. Go Sables!

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He plays more positionally sound and doesn't flop around like a fish out of the water to be compared to Hasek.

Who knows how many Vezinas are in this kid's future we'll see soon.

Sounds like you are hating because a 20 year old has better numbers than the Sabre goalies.

Hart 922% 2.53 gaa

Ullmark 914% 2.93 gaa

Hutton 911% 2.79 gaa

Thanks jealousy doesn't suit you well.

And Stolie is just fine as Hart's backup thanks.

I do not hate the kid at all. Why would I?  I wish him well. Its just very early in the game and like one expert once said when the Islanders were on a roll early in one season, you can win for a while on emotion and adrenaline.  But eventually talent is going to set in.  Right now Stolak won on adrenalin and trying to out do Hart no doubt. But we know that its an anomaly with him

Archived