The future is here: Carter Hart

OccamsRazor

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Lol, is that Steve Penny in goal?

I've never heard of Renee Veneziale! Adorable!

I believe it was Brian Heyward in goal for the Habs.  Renee was kind of our second generation good luck charm.  All they guys in the 80's loved her in that cute little "Renee" jersey.  She abruptly left to sing on Broadway, never to return sadly 😓

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

She abruptly left to sing on Broadway, never to return sadly

So sad. With that 80s hair and a big, baggy sweater, why I could master...

...sorry, nostalgia carried me away there for a bit.

"He's making some miracles out there. It's nice to have him back there. You know he can steal one," Couturier said. 

"I knew he was good and he was highly talked about, but I didn't know he was that good. He's going to be a superstar for a long time so it's obviously nice to have him on your end," Patrick said.

"Props to Hart over there, he played a heck of a game," Brock Boeser said. "[Goldobin got] everything on that one. Their goalie made a great play, I think their goalie came out like 10 feet to cut the angle on it. That was a really good save."

"It's just trying to focus on one play at a time and battle as much as I can, some plays there are loose pucks and everything, but the guys did a good job of boxing guys out and putting pucks in the corner, got a couple of key blocks there at the end. So, I'm really just trying to compete," Hart said with a grin and a shrug.

"Every team that is successful has a goaltender that is going to give you a lift at some point. Obviously him being 20 years old is even more substantial, I don't want to say we're expecting him to fail, you just find it hard to believe that someone his age can come in and do what he's been able to do so far," Gordon said.

It feels so good now to know what it is like to have a Super star in net finally.

It is what i have always long for since i have been watching hockey...finally it seems to be solved....now i hope they keep the kid healthy.

Considered to be a bottom-feeder team after their horrid start, the Philadelphia Flyers have rattled off eight straight wins and brought themselves back from the brink. A big part of their turnaround has been the stellar play of Carter Hart who’s showing what the Flyers can do with consistent play in their crease.

When Carter Hart was called up on December 17th, the Flyers seemed all but certain to miss the playoffs. They were dead last in the Eastern Conference and Hart was set to be their 7th starting goalie on the year, tying an NHL record. Injuries and inconsistent play forced the Flyers to call Hart up to the big club, likely before they would have liked. Sixteen starts and a seven-game win streak later, it’s fair to say the NHL spotlight hasn’t phased him. Just last night, he posted a career-high 10 saves from the most high-danger area on the ice, the inner slot. And if you think the Flyers have tightened up in front of their rookie goaltender, think again.

6x3flyers-G-1024x576.png

Of the five Philly goalies to start more than two games (sorry Mike McKenna and Alex Lyon), Carter Hart is the only one who has faced over 30 shots a game. And these 30+ shots aren’t just easy looks from the outside, as he’s also faced the second most shots from the slot on the team. Despite that, Hart still owns the teams best save percentage by a good margin.

FlyersGoaliesSave.png

It becomes pretty clear that Hart is a game changer for this team. There hasn’t been some miracle defensive strategy implemented that’s allowed him to do so well. He’s just proven game after game that he’s ready to be the starter.

Hart’s putting together a tremendous start to his career, giving Flyers fans something to hope for in the future. If Philly can fight all the way back to a playoff berth, it’ll be on the back of Hart. He continues to find ways to impress every night just like this save he made last night.

Goes to show you how valuable those throwaway 2nd round picks are.  Hextall had 3 of them that year. He also managed EIGHT 1st round picks while he was gm.

I'm pretty sure if you went through ALL the 2nd and 3rd round picks that Homer threw away, and added up all the returns, it wouldn't end up equaling the value that this kid could bring to the franchise. You may not hit on every pick, but the more you have the better chance of knocking it out of the park.

18 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Goes to show you how valuable those throwaway 2nd round picks are.  Hextall had 3 of them that year. He also managed EIGHT 1st round picks while he was gm.

I'm pretty sure if you went through ALL the 2nd and 3rd round picks that Homer threw away, and added up all the returns, it wouldn't end up equaling the value that this kid could bring to the franchise. You may not hit on every pick, but the more you have the better chance of knocking it out of the park.

He took over in 2006-07.

So JVR was his first ever pick. Not too bad. However his 2nd pick which was by the way a 2nd was the infamous Kevin Marshall.

So could that be why i figured he might as well trade the 2nd rounder because he couldn't do anything with it??

2008?? No 2nd.

2009?? No 2nd.

2010?? No 2nd.

2011?? No 2nd.

After this draft it seems he finally changed his ways and realized yeah you can find talent in the 2nd round.

2012?? Hey look he kept the 2nd round pick...Anthony Stolarz come on down. And look he is still in the fold.

2013??? Hey kept it again. Robert Hagg welcome to the Flyers!!! And it would be his last draft as GM. Now Ron takes over.

2014??? Nicolas Aube Kubel was the guy.

2015??? No 2nd rounder...but wait up...he had two 1st rounders! Provorov and Konecny welcome aboard!

2016??? He had 3 2nds...Pascal Laberge, Carter "The Savior" Hart and Wade Allison bring it on down.

2017??? Once again thanks to Schenn two more 1sts. Patrick and Frost!! And then with his 2nd??? Isaac Ratcliffe!!!

2018??? Two more 1st round picks. Farabee and O'Brien we salute you!!! And with his last ever 2nd pick Adam Ginning!!!

so yeah evidence would say you can find some good talent with the 2nd rounder....if you keep it!

So without doubt this team is set for a nice future thanks to Ron Hextall....thank you.

On 2/5/2019 at 9:29 AM, brelic said:

It keeps increasing as the season goes on - I'm sure there's some obscure formula under lock and key, right next to the lottery balls.

I'm actually asking because I don't know. But a handful of teams have played 54 games, and I think that's the most. 18 would be exactly 1/3 of that.  I'd that what it is, do you think?  That at any given time, a goalie must have played 1/3 of the season? 

50 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm actually asking because I don't know. But a handful of teams have played 54 games, and I think that's the most. 18 would be exactly 1/3 of that.  I'd that what it is, do you think?  That at any given time, a goalie must have played 1/3 of the season? 

That makes a lot of sense. That might be it. You’ve cracked the code, my friend!

So are final goalie stats then based on a minimum of 24 games? That sounds high. 

22 minutes ago, brelic said:

So are final goalie stats then based on a minimum of 24 games? That sounds high. 

It might be; I really don't know.

We'll have to look again at the end of the year.  But the good news is that if my guess is right, Carter Hart only has to play in 4 of the next 7 games to qualify at the 60 game mark.  🤷‍♂️

30 minutes ago, brelic said:

That makes a lot of sense. That might be it. You’ve cracked the code, my friend!

So I just found this on hockeyreference.com    https://www.hockey-reference.com/about/rate_stat_req.html

By my math, 53 Flyers games total x 0.3125 = 16.5625;    After Thursday, 54 x 0.3215 = 16.875.   So he should  qualify after Thursday's game.

• Goals against average: Minimum 0.3125 games played per scheduled game (season), 250 games (career), 5 games (playoff year), 25 games (playoff career), or 75 games (franchise career).
  • Save percentage: Minimum 0.3125 games played per scheduled game (season), 250 games (career), 5 games (playoff year), 25 games (playoff career), 75 games (franchise career).

3 hours ago, brelic said:

Not sure Mcilhenney was ranked after only 18 games.

Magic number? Who knows.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Carter Hart becomes only the 2nd goaltender to ever win 8 straight games before turning 21.

The record is his with a win against the Penguins on Monday.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived