Cup Contenders?

Guest orange_crush

I agree. Bruins, Canucks, Rangers, Sharks, Wild

wait, what, the wild? if the flyers have stumbled over the last month, the wild have full on collapsed. they had a nice thing going, but when miko koivu is your offensive leader, you are in bad bad shape. i'd put a lot more money on philly than minny.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree the Flyers have been alot of fun to watch this year, but realistically there not cup contenders, therefor why not trade Jagr and get some picks/prospects before he leaves as a FA

because 16 teams are cup contenders come april, and there are decent odds jagr does another stint with the flyers after this season. there is nothing so wrong with this team to throw in the towel and start selling.

As constructed, no. The problems on defense are only going to get worse as the season wears on and the minutes pile up, especially on Timonen. However, if the Flyers bring in a top-tier defenseman without gutting the team to do it, then yes, they could be. Laviolette won't ride Bryzgalov in the playoffs if he isn't getting the job done. Certain members of this team have shown they can really rise to the occasion when the playoffs roll around. Heck, the team's backed off on Pronger being done for the playoffs. Do I expect him back? No, but if he does come back, healthy, then what?

Add to it that the Flyers likely won't play the Bruins or the Rags in the first round, injuries (and suspensions) can happen to anyone at any time, slumps and hot streaks can happen to any team, there are too many unknowns to write off this team right now. Since that's the case, you definitely don't sell. Now, I would only buy if the price is right, but the right pieces, if they can fit both short term and long term, would be worth a look.

I agree the Flyers have been alot of fun to watch this year, but realistically there not cup contenders, therefor why not trade Jagr and get some picks/prospects before he leaves as a FA

Just my opinion, but I don't think they'd get that much for him. I think he's more valuable to the Flyers as a role model, etc than what he would bring in trade. And I doubt he'll leave as a free agent, I think he'll either retire or play another year for the Flyers. And he could be a very valuable guy to have next year if the team does become a real contender.

This team is one and done if bryz plays in the playoffs. He may be the worst goalie in the league. He's certainly close to it. He brings the worst elements of Michael Leighton game on a regular basis. Poor puckhandling is his strength.

Other than that, i like where the team is headed. We may have somehow got out of Prongers stupid contract. If only Bryz would get hit by a truck, i'd be pretty happy with the way things have gone.

I'm probably being to cautious but with a new CBA and god knows what's going on with the salary cap, Pronger (and Timmo for that matter) and how good Jagr is for these youngsters in their development, I say we don't make ANY moves. We all know we are not strong favs for the cup this year. I won't say never, look at 2 years ago but...

Lets roll with it as is unless the ultimate deal comes are way. I want to see what Bryz, Harry Z, Schenn, Coots, Read, Briere (is he getting old), Bobs, ect, ect, ect can do and how they develope. And I sure don't want to trade away even ONE prospect on all these UFA defencemen who can walk next season if they want to. And lets just face facts, the flyers are not in a position for a bidding war to keep a UFA that they gave up good picks/rookies/JVR for. And Weber just seems like way to much money that the Flyers can ill afford. If this was fantacy hockey maybe but really? I can't see a scenerio that this works out in.

It would suck to make a knee jerk reaction to todays situation and find out we can buyout contracts because of the new CBA or if the Cap goes up 3-5 million again next season. Here's a thought... What if there is a lockout next year? That could alter all sorts of scenerios...

Other than that, i like where the team is headed.

The other outcomes from last summer are almost all positive but that is overshadowed by the gap between Bryzgalov's hype and his actual performance. Most people probably figured Bryzgalov would be the least of our worries.

As it turns out, all of the FA signings with the exception of Lilja (Read, Jagr, Talbot, Zolnierczyk) have turned out great so far as has the return for Carter & Richards. The biggest question mark in that group was probably Voracek and I really like the way he has played. Schenn has been injured a lot and that's a disappointment but it happens.

Do you believe the Flyers are real Cup Contenders?

At the beginning of the season it looked promising, a healthy Pronger, a stud goalie, the rebirth of Jagr. But reality has set in;

• Pronger's career is most likely over,
  • Breezy (Teabagger) is just another overrated and overpaid average goalie
  • Defence has been a turnover machine

So if were not real contenders why not trade Jagr while he's hot and got some picks/prospects and clear some cap space?

Or if you do think we are contenders , what is going to push us to the top? Weber? And why are you willing to get rid of? The most logical would be trade JVR since his contract increases to 4 mill next year.

Thoughts?

if the D can figure out the issues and Bryz somehow starts resembling the goalie we all thought the Flyers signed, yes, I believe they can be contenders. If the O has to suffer in order to tighten up the D, then no, absolutely not. We need the O that has been produced so far.

Why not trade Jagr? That's a tall order. He came back to the NHL on the terms of the perfect fit. He came to the Flyers cause they are a legitimate team, who would put him into a legitimate role on the club. How many other teams out there would be willing to do the same? And if not, how could you insure they'll get what they want from Jagr at that point? He has no guarantees past this season? He's been awesome for the Flyers but if I were a GM I wouldn't give up assets because there is too much unknown. He came back to the NHL for the experience, not the money. (at least that's my understanding)

Lilja has been alright for a cheap experienced defender. He was brought in as a 6, and is doing well in that role.

Are you smoking crack ?!? Lilja has been responsible for more odd man rushes than any other defenseman on the Flyers. He gets caught standing flat footed constantly. Part of my dislike for him might be the Pitkanen like sheepish grin he has after he screws the pooch.....Lilja needs to go the way of Jody Shelley, healthy scratch until the Flyers lose 3 more defensemen........

@RonJeremy -true. there's no way we get by boston or the rangers in a 7 game series. it's as simple as that. i would just stay firm and ride this team as it is. i'm tired of trading for guys at the deadline and then getting bounced in the first round. let these kids get a taste of the playoffs and we'll be a better team for it next year after some adjustments on defense.

At the beginning of the season it looked promising, a healthy Pronger, a stud goalie, the rebirth of Jagr. But reality has set in;

• Pronger's career is most likely over,
  • Breezy (Teabagger) is just another overrated and overpaid average goalie
  • Defence has been a turnover machine

So if were not real contenders why not trade Jagr while he's hot and got some picks/prospects and clear some cap space?

Or if you do think we are contenders , what is going to push us to the top? Weber? And why are you willing to get rid of? The most logical would be trade JVR since his contract increases to 4 mill next year.

Thoughts?

Not even close. Are they a good team that is better than a lot of teams? Definitely. But their defense and goaltending is too sh!tty.

No. While the team has surpassed expectations in some areas, to me the whole key has been the health of Pronger. With a healthy Pronger I thought we would challenge for the 4/5 spot. Without him 6/7.

BUT if the Flyers do make a big time trade to address the defense and possibly find Pronger's heir then I can see us challenge. If we acquired a Weber, Doughty, even a second tier like Jack Johnson or Ryan Suter it would drastically improve our chances.

Are you smoking crack ?!? Lilja has been responsible for more odd man rushes than any other defenseman on the Flyers. He gets caught standing flat footed constantly. Part of my dislike for him might be the Pitkanen like sheepish grin he has after he screws the pooch.....Lilja needs to go the way of Jody Shelley, healthy scratch until the Flyers lose 3 more defensemen........

He's no stud, but he gets the job done for the most part. Which, is in line with a sixth dman's role. He is serviceable, but not someone to rely on regularly.

He's no stud, but he gets the job done for the most part. Which, is in line with a sixth dman's role. He is serviceable, but not someone to rely on regularly.

I would not even call him a seventh d-man......at least on the flyers......If not for his bloated contract, Walker would be playing instead of Lilja......

If we acquired a Weber, Doughty, even a second tier like Jack Johnson or Ryan Suter it would drastically improve our chances.

weber is an all-around stud on the blueline, and i agree any team's chances go up if he were to join, but...the other three are all offensive guys who are not particularly well known for their defensive shut-down-ness. are points from the blueline really what's holding the flyers back? would those other three really "drastically" improve our chances, given the resources that would have to be shipped out to bring them to town?

weber strikes me as a pipe dream. he's too expensive in terms of both trade and cap hit. he would make a big difference, though. the others are more obtainable, but it seems to me you would have to move forward scoring to bring back defenive scoring, and i don't really see the point.

I would not even call him a seventh d-man......at least on the flyers......If not for his bloated contract, Walker would be playing instead of Lilja......

I'd get used to having 5/6 D issues - and 4th line F as well. With Pronger's LTIR status, there's going to be a lot of callups and guys who can go to the AHL and back to make up for Pronger's cap hit.

As I understand it, they can't use his space to sign an offseason FA but thyey can use it to bring in guys during the season.

I'd get used to having 5/6 D issues

not for nothing, but that is kind of situation normal for most NHL teams. the league-leading rangers have jeff woywitka and stu bickel as 6/7. which could also be stated as "lol" and "who?". no matter how good the team, there is a reason the #6 guy is a #6 guy.

not for nothing, but that is kind of situation normal for most NHL teams. the league-leading rangers have jeff woywitka and stu bickel as 6/7. which could also be stated as "lol" and "who?". no matter how good the team, there is a reason the #6 guy is a #6 guy.

Right, but the point is this is going to be a lot more than the 6/7 and more likely into the 5/6 and 4th line Fs.

I've got them at $55.5M next season still needing three forwards (Voracek, Jagr, Zolnierczyk) and a defenseman (Carle - plus replacing Pronger).

Assuming about a $66M cap (4% increase on current) they have about $10M to fill those holes. Tender Voracek and re-sign Jagr at current eats up more than half. Then try to fit in Carle ($4M?) and you can probably squeeze in Harry Z at around $1M. If Carle takes $4M. Coburn got a bigger jump than the $500+K that would mean for Carle.

Then your 5 is Lilja (35+ contract and makes less than Bourdon and Gus) and your 6/7 becomes Bourdon/Gus/Phantoms once Pronger's LTIR money opens up. And the team is 100% capstrapped.

I can't see where they can fit in a high-priced FA Dman until Timonen and Hartnell come off after next season.