Should Flyers buyout Teabagger?

Guest orange_crush

Off the top of my head, I wish we would go back to the no salary cap era. The cap is like saying a millionaire can't by a sport car because the guy next door can't... STOP moving into weak finacial/non hockey markets!

Yeah, but the commish promised them all a major tv deal if expansion was allowed-something like 13-17 years ago.

Is that what he finally delivered with NBC and Vs new name (NOT)?

After creating a capped sport when he could not deliver the tv deal to pay for all the newly bloated salaries for RFA's and UFA's. Think about it, the only reason the cap was there since there was not a major TV deal to pay the better players in a thinned out talent pool and to bolster the poor teams, yes millionaires poor playthings........................................

And his obsession with teams in the sun belt

How much has Phoenix lost since they moved from Winnipeg-it was 300 mill 2 years ago, what's it up to now?

Andteh Panthers where throwing plastic rats on the ice was allowed without throwing people out, and that has reared its head again

Yes class game there commish, more concussions and cheap shots and you let it happen and created the monster. disgrace

I don't like a single thing about Bryzgalov either on the ice or off the ice. It's incredible, really.

After 5 games, people said "wait till Thanksgiving", then it was "wait till Christmas", then "wait till the midway point", and now we still need to wait apparently.

The Rangers waited and waited and waited for Gomez to actually show up, and now the Habs are still waiting. Nothing guarantees that Bryz will actually turn anything around. He could be a Gomez, a Drury, a Leino.

If I actually liked the guy, I'd say keep him around, but I've already had more than my share of him, and I would be ecstatic if he was gone by next year.

EDIT: BTW, Leino is on pace for 23 points.

@s3x

I am not in the buyout camp at this point, but if it were happen it woudld be after this season...the CBA is up after this year, and the new one needs to be in place prior to next season starting. Any buyouts without penalties/cap implications-if allowed-would logically happen after the new CBA is agreed to, but before the next season starts.

I agree with you if the CBA allows for a great buyout opportunity with no cap it, but I don't see that happening. I think little will change, and thus Bryz will be reevaluated next fall -- and if he fails again, he will be bought out after the next season.

BUYOUT DETAILS

I think it's WAY too early to pull the plug on Bryz. You can be the best goalie in the World but a goalie is only as good as the guys in front of him. If Pronger was healthy and playing his stats would be better. Why? Because having a stud, physical defender like that blocks shots, clears the crease, makes guys not as eager to crash the net. Granted Bryz has let in some soft goals but how many times has he made the initial save only to have rebounds go in because someone was either uncovered or had a clean shot at the rebound.

I think Bryz will be fine and if there is a buyout it wouldn't be until 5 years from now. Even when Pronger was healthy I still thought we needed another physical, stay at home defenseman to compliment Pronger. Now that Pronger is out we need to go all in and do whatever it takes (within reason) to get Shea Weber. He will be a stud in the league the next 10 seasons, help the power play, plays physical, and will be a perennial Norris Trophy candidate. He won't come cheap but our offense is not the issue. Bryz isn't going anywhere which is why we have to take the plunge and get that stud defender as I doubt Pronger is coming back.

I think the Flyers are positioning themselves for a major deadline move. According to Cap Geek, the Flyers as it stands now will have 3.8 to make a move

Philadelphia Flyers » $ $3,820,934

After next season, Kimo and Hartnell's contracts come off the books freeing up over $10 million dollars.

I was totally against moving one or more of our young forwards, especially now that Schenn is showing what he is capable of, but with Pronger possibly done for good, we need his replacement and need it now. I would still talk to LA about Doughty or Jack Johnson, Nashville about Suter or Weber and see what can get a deal done. Short of a blockbuster trade a realistic move might be to acquire Jay Bouwmeester who I really wouldn't be crazy about but despite seeming to be around forever he is still only 28.

@Dynamo 47

Jay Bouwmeester hasn't really played with a physical edge. I think that is what separates him from the NHL Defensemen elite. He skates well, is durable, contributes on the offense, but lacks a mean streak that the Flyers really need.

I am sort of content with our D. I just can't stand Lilja a second longer. Maybe they could get a 3-4 type guy that is physical and has the ability to clear the crease.

I like Kronwall, Gorges, Eric Brewer, Seabrook. Not saying that they are 3-4 players, but I like that they hit and block shots and can keep the crease clean.

@Dynamo 47

Jay Bouwmeester hasn't really played with a physical edge. I think that is what separates him from the NHL Defensemen elite. He skates well, is durable, contributes on the offense, but lacks a mean streak that the Flyers really need.

I am sort of content with our D. I just can't stand Lilja a second longer. Maybe they could get a 3-4 type guy that is physical and has the ability to clear the crease.

I like Kronwall, Gorges, Eric Brewer, Seabrook. Not saying that they are 3-4 players, but I like that they hit and block shots and can keep the crease clean.

Hey Bert. See I think the D is the primary cause of our issues and a a stop gap guy won't help. I do like Seabrook and with the play of Keith and some of the other Hawks they might be a willing partner. Seabrook would not only help defensively but help the anemic power play and at 5.8 he has a decent cap hit.

I would not want to be Homer right now. He could acquire a lower cap hit guy who will perform and play but not make the team better to win it all OR he could say he has plenty of scoring right now and a lot of young prospects and offer JVR or Schen as trade bait.

If I actually liked the guy, I'd say keep him around, but I've already had more than my share of him, and I would be ecstatic if he was gone by next year.

It's truly the worst of both worlds: he's brutal in net and a distraction, not to mention overpaid by about $5MM per year.