2019 Wild Playoff Chances and Possible Opponents

TropicalFruitGirl26

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So which is better a quick embarrassing playoff exit....or no playoffs and a chance at a better draft pick?

Anyone?

If one deems to be a true fan of his/her team ... not wanting said team to be in the playoffs immediately disqualifies them.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Antti_Laxative said:

If one deems to be a true fan of his/her team ... not wanting said team to be in the playoffs immediately disqualifies them.

I respect that opinion I don't agree with it.

Sometimes it's not about the now and being short sighted.

Sometimes it's about what is better for the future of the team in the long run.

From a fan's point of view yes the playoffs is what matters.

From a GM's point of view he has to do what he thinks is best for the club now and the future.

And yes he could very well think some playoffs now might be best for the young players.

Also he might think a nice prospect to build around could be nice too.

And a GM will never say aloud he would prefer the draft pick.

Just like the players will never say it.

They should always be in the mindset of playoffs or bust.

Not saying either one is right or wrong just understanding both sides of it.

23 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So which is better a quick embarrassing playoff exit....or no playoffs and a chance at a better draft pick?

Anyone?

I've never gone the Draft pick route since it's a cr4p shoot anyhow.

A sweep in Rd 1 wouldn't be "embarrassing" unless so many teams were tight in points vs the huge discrepancy like this year.

Normally I'd be happy with having at least 4-5 more games to see and that 'chance' that some magic happens.

This will be the first year I'll be 'Ok' if we don't make it, But that's based on what Fenton does this summer and who comes back next season, Since we're in a pretty big transition.

Wild pull off the big needed win against the Knights....unfortunately, the Avalanche, holding the final playoff spot also won against Arizona in a shoot out, so the win simply allowed Minnesota to keep pace....of course, it burned away yet another game, leaving Minnesota currently at 4 pts out with 4 games to play...and NONE of them are against Colorado.

Arizona, who is just ahead of Minnesota, picked up a point themselves to add to the Wild's hurdles (the Wild DO play them next), but bottom line is, the Avs are the ones holding the goal and they keep moving the finish line.

Minnesota is basically going to have to 'run the table' (or at least get points in ALL the remaining 4 games) while the Avalanche and Coyotes lose at least a couple in regulation...just an off the top of my head estimate.
Either way, things continue to look dark for any Wild appearance in the post season.

Remaining schedules for the three involved teams:
Colorado Avalanche
-- road at St. Louis

--home vs Edmonton

--home vs Winnipeg

--road at San Jose

Arizona Coyotes

--home vs Minnesota

--home vs Los Angeles

--road at Las Vegas

--home vs Winnipeg

Minnesota Wild

--road at Arizona

--home vs Winnipeg

--home vs Boston

--road at Dallas

Seems to me Wild have the toughest finish, but the other two teams will be going against teams that have something or the other to play for as well....for the most part.

And given how the Wild have played at home, I almost wish the Jets and Bruins games were on the road.....

We had a great chance to make a playoffs this season , but did not use it. Nice wins against Tampa, Washington, St.Louis, Winnipeg, Calgary and etc. showing that we have a nice team’s potential, but unfortunately it was extremely inconsistent. Injuries yes are very important in a team’s results, but we had much more injuries last year but results were much better(101 points instead 81 so far) as well as team was better too at least for the regular season. Staal;Zucker and a 4th line were more productive last season also. Even not talking about our home ice results this season, which are the worst in a Wild history. I would be much more happier during that season if we looked more carefully for a scorers from our farm club on a rotational try out basis (10-12 games). Sad that we did not tried Menell(2 seasons in Iowa), Sokolov(1 season in Iowa), Anas(3 seasons in Iowa) for the big club this year. Rau played minimal games amount in a Wild uniform(6) . Sad also, that Lodnia, Dewar and Khovanov were not placed in AHL system at the beginning of the season. Creativity of using our home grown prospects as usual was not enough/still kind of superficial. After signings during the last summer, as well as during the regular season and recent trades our team still does not look too solid. Any way so far – too little in a consistent quality play and searching for the best prospect selection through the regular season - too late in the team’s success just to get into the playoffs season.

7 hours ago, Alexandron said:

We had a great chance to make a playoffs this season , but did not use it. Nice wins against Tampa, Washington, St.Louis, Winnipeg, Calgary and etc. showing that we have a nice team’s potential, but unfortunately it was extremely inconsistent. Injuries yes are very important in a team’s results, but we had much more injuries last year but results were much better(101 points instead 81 so far) as well as team was better too at least for the regular season. Staal;Zucker and a 4th line were more productive last season also. Even not talking about our home ice results this season, which are the worst in a Wild history. I would be much more happier during that season if we looked more carefully for a scorers from our farm club on a rotational try out basis (10-12 games). Sad that we did not tried Menell(2 seasons in Iowa), Sokolov(1 season in Iowa), Anas(3 seasons in Iowa) for the big club this year. Rau played minimal games amount in a Wild uniform(6) . Sad also, that Lodnia, Dewar and Khovanov were not placed in AHL system at the beginning of the season. Creativity of using our home grown prospects as usual was not enough/still kind of superficial. After signings during the last summer, as well as during the regular season and recent trades our team still does not look too solid. Any way so far – too little in a consistent quality play and searching for the best prospect selection through the regular season - too late in the team’s success just to get into the playoffs season.

I get you're excited about some of the prospects, but you can't just call players up for 10-12 games. There is a roster limit (23 players) and also the salary cap to take into account.

If the Wild were going to call up a player from Iowa, they would have to move a current player on the roster, either by placing them on waivers (where another team could claim them) or by putting them on IR, where that player is out for a minimum of seven days from the time of the injury. And the team doctor has to sign off on the injury, so teams can't just put someone on IR because of a hangnail in order to call up a prospect for a tryout. Team doctors are MD's, and they take an ethics oath to get their MD. So if it gets out that a team doctor is just making stuff up to allow a team to shuttle players back and forth, the NHL wouldn't be their biggest problem. They could potentially lose their AMA credentials (or whatever the equivalent is in Canada). I highly doubt a doctor is going to risk losing their credentials just to allow a team to play musical chairs with their players...

And then there's that pesky salary cap. The Wild were pretty much bumping it all season long. They were even carrying only 22 out of 23 players for a stretch because they were so close to the cap that if they had a call up, they would have been over the cap, which is a big No-No. They carried one less player for quite a stretch just to give themselves breathing room with the cap they were so close to it.

I'm actually happy they left most of the prospects in Iowa. They are learning how to win, and how to play during a playoff stretch. And the way the big club has played, I wouldn't want any of these prospect around the big club anyways. The big club is just a dumpster fire right now.

Lodnia, Dewar, and Khovanov couldn't be sent to Iowa at the start of the season because they were not old enough. They would have had to been kept on the big clubs roster according to the CHL-NHL agreement. Once they turn 20, then they can be sent to the AHL. Dewar will turn 20 on June 22, Lodnia will turn 20 on August 31, and Khovanov turned 20 on April 12. All three will probably be in Iowa next year.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 1:32 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If Minnesota truly has garbage for talent (that I don't believe) in some of these young guys, then it will be badly exposed. If the veterans aren't up to snuff, then maybe ownership will look at the situation and think, "Man, we need better verterans too

I won't say all is garbage talent. We do have some actually true garbage, cough, Rask, cough, Bitetto. Now most of guys are average or just below average that flash once and awhile. Then we have a few guys that go just a little above average, aka Parise, Staal and Spurgeon are examples. We don't have a elite or superstar on this team. No game breaker or franchise changer. We do have a lot of guys eating big time minutes and out in key situations who have no business being there, aka Suter. The leadership seems to be lacking. Players play like more individuals then as a team. A lot of players quit and even other players have called it out. We have a history of giving nice contracts based on one good season and Zucker is the latest example. Fentons moves don't point that he is going in the right direction. And if anybody says they knew the Donato deal would work out they are so full of chit they will try to sell you snake oil. It's a mess that started with point Koivu as the permanent captain and then giving Parise and Suter those so stupidly ridiculous contracts. Everybody know those moves were going to bite us in the back end of the deals. Sadly they started biting us earlier then expected and nothing came from the results.

In reality, the team needs a complete rebuild. Complete as in they can shed everybody and start fresh. They can't even do that for another 6 years. So they are back to where they have been for years now. They are back into they hope of some of their prospects blow up or some free agent they pick up some how unlocks a hidden depth they never showed before. Factor in that they never do bad enough to get a top 10 pick but are not good enough to be nothing more then maybe a fringe playoff team/ first round punching bag. It's a vicious cycle the Wild have been doing for years now. Sadly Fenton got rid of at least one key piece in Granlund who has been our most consistent scorer the last few years.

So basically it's going to boil down for next year if the prospects we have come in and make a immediate impact and if the team is going to try and develop their skill set they have or are they going to try and force them to somehow develop a skill set to help the core 3 and when it doesn't work, treat them like a red headed step child. The team needs to regroup, let Parise, Suter and Koivu know they will no longer be the guys the team will focus on, take away the C and 2 A's and give them to the younger guys and cut back the core 3 TOI and not put them out there in key moments. Let's let the young guys go out there now. Learn from their mistakes and put them in key moments. That way in a few years with the big 3 are gone we aren't stuck with guys who never got that chance.

***Did what is likely the last update for Wild playoff chances in the OP***

Last call for the Minnesota Wild.
Yea, yea, I know, they are essentially done, but mathematically, they are still in it, though obviously hanging by a thread...no pun intended.
:shifty:

The chances of the Wild winning all 3 of their next games while Arizona and Colorado lose all three is miniscule to say the least, but it is nonetheless there, so far be it from me to cheat Minnesota out of their microscopic hopes.

In all seriousness, I just want this team to finish off with some pride and dignity.
Just go out there, play the best hockey you can and finish the season with some sort of feeling that you are an NHL squad and then use that to build come next season...……..provided the front office instills some changes for the better that is.

Minnesota will be getting those "better draft positions" (snicker), so hopefully, management and scouting know what to do with them.

As for the actual final playoff spot, I'd rather the Coyotes grab it over the Avalanche.
Sure, the Avs have an exciting top line (well, what's left of it...MacKinnon is still exciting), but honestly, beyond that, the rest of the team is "Meh" at best.... I can see Calgary quashing Colorado 4 games to 1, if not a sweep.

Arizona is "meh" on offense, of course, BUT, I rather like the contrast of almost complete defense and goaltending vs the offense and aggressiveness of the Flames.
Calgary would once again be heavily favored here, but I think that Coyotes squad may put up more of a fight, especially since they are defensively tough, than the Avs would.

Ying vs Yang, if you would, though Calgary would probably need 6 games to dispose of the Yotes.

Anyways, yea, last call for Minnesota, they get the Jets, and MAYBE the Wild win the next three (stop laughing!! 😁)...……. but that doesn't mean their wild card rivals are gonna co-operate.

This team has been staying just a float for a few years now by having to bail water out like crazy. The hole just finally got to big for them to do it. The error on the franchise is not trying to build around 11,20 and 9 but after finding out that building around them wasn't working that they continued to try and do it well not developing the youth. They could have been good guys to have around well developing the youth as long as it's not only explained to those three but shown that they are nothing more then players and don't have any say on the operations. Any disobedient actions will result in punishment. All the coaches to do what they want and get the players they need for their game plan. Instead the Wild have the owner and GM making coaching decisions and grabbing players they like instead of going to the coach and asking him what he needs and what player would work for his game plan. It's ass backwards and now the franchise is getting stung by it hard. Six more years of Suter and Parise hitting our cap at $7.5 million each as they continue to decline and fight off injury.

The franchise needs to do a full rebuild right now. They can start bringing in young guys that haven't been tainted by that locker room. Too bad they can't with 11 and 20.

13 hours ago, EJ0226 said:

This team has been staying just a float for a few years now by having to bail water out like crazy. The hole just finally got to big for them to do it. The error on the franchise is not trying to build around 11,20 and 9 but after finding out that building around them wasn't working that they continued to try and do it well not developing the youth. They could have been good guys to have around well developing the youth as long as it's not only explained to those three but shown that they are nothing more then players and don't have any say on the operations. Any disobedient actions will result in punishment. All the coaches to do what they want and get the players they need for their game plan. Instead the Wild have the owner and GM making coaching decisions and grabbing players they like instead of going to the coach and asking him what he needs and what player would work for his game plan. It's ass backwards and now the franchise is getting stung by it hard. Six more years of Suter and Parise hitting our cap at $7.5 million each as they continue to decline and fight off injury.

The franchise needs to do a full rebuild right now. They can start bringing in young guys that haven't been tainted by that locker room. Too bad they can't with 11 and 20.

Yes, that's the problem with a lot of teams.  Instead of building around certain players they should be looking to improve each roster spot where possible each year via by bringing in youth, and experience, not by just vets who think they can win it all with.  Fenton did do a better job of that this year.  The league is getting younger and younger as the game is getting faster and more skilled.

At some point 11 and 20 will be stashed away on the IR replaced with young talent before the full 6 years is up.

Thought provoking posts! After reading them I find an elephant trying to keep hidden inside the tight spaces of my mind. The elephant has a placard hanging from its side. On the placard there's a text:

"20/11 getting badly injured does not injure the Wild. You have been given three wishes..."

If I, only a fan, have these pretty heartless thoughts and frustrations, I can only imagine what the players might feel. It also makes me think that maybe the fact that sometimes team mates have pretty vicious fisticuffs has something to do with these kind of frustrations. Anyways I sure wish this 6 year sentence can somehow be solved in a win - win way and not through someone losing his health.

4 hours ago, hf101 said:

Yes, that's the problem with a lot of teams.  Instead of building around certain players they should be looking to improve each roster spot where possible each year via by bringing in youth, and experience, not by just vets who think they can win it all with.  Fenton did do a better job of that this year.  The league is getting younger and younger as the game is getting faster and more skilled.

At some point 11 and 20 will be stashed away on the IR replaced with young talent before the full 6 years is up.

I know for me that the jury is still out on Fenton. I still question what he was thinking on any of the trades. The only one that looks like it worked out was Coyle for Donato. But lets honestly look at the two players. We knew Coyle was a average 32 pointer a season player. Donato never showed that in his time playing that. Now his time with us has been amazing and I hope he continues that trend upward.

Granlund for Fiala honestly doesn't look good for us. Our most consistent scorer for a guy that is making a lot of mistakes, not scoring and a defensive liability.

Rask for Nino..... Let's not even look at that as it's got to be one of the worst trades in Wild history.

I worry about this team. We have a owner who is a fanboy of certain players and acting like he is a GM. We have a GM that wants to make coaching decisions. And we have a good coach who is handcuffed to not being able to make decisions coaches normally could. If I was Bruce I would just walk away. I would be frustrated that I was able to make decisions in the past including benching or cutting way back on minutes for players including stars and now being forced to start clearly crap product players. I would also know Fenton has it out for me by his actions. I am not joking when I say even the great Scotty Bowman in his prime couldn't do better then Bruce with this squad.

It will be interesting to see what the Wild do with so many very over paid players. You got Koivu, Parise, Suter, Zucker, Rask and Pateryn are all over paid or very over paid. The Wild also are going to have a lot of guys to resign very soon. Hopefully they come up with a solution as I don't see other teams really wanting to pay that much for the guys we can move. Zucker kind of sunk his value but I also wonder where his head is at after the Fenton looking to trade him and not say a single thing to Zucker and Zucker had to learn from other players.

I hope moving forward the team focuses on the future. Develop the prospects and give them the attention. Not be afraid to tell the vets to back down or even sit them in key situations and cut their TOI. Let the coach do his job and coach and let the GM do his job and worry about the players. No more stupid contracts. Let Parises and Suters be a lesson and apologize to the fan base about them.

Since this thread has run its course and the Wild obviously are out, I started up a "before the season officially ends" off season thread.

Discussion on what the Wild should be doing may go in there.

Here is hoping for better things moving forward....whatever shape they may take.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Since this thread has run its course and the Wild obviously are out, I started up a "before the season officially ends" off season thread.

Discussion on what the Wild should be doing may go in there.

Here is hoping for better things moving forward....whatever shape they may take.

Let me thank you for doing the awesome updates! Can't wait to see these next year!

Archived