2019 Wild Playoff Chances and Possible Opponents

TropicalFruitGirl26

We caught the Jets on a back to back at least once, and we'd start the series up there.  The Jets can bring a lot more than what Minnesota can.  

Here are my odds for each Western Conference potential match up.

Wild vs. Nashville - 30/70

Wild vs. Jets - 40/60

Wild vs. Dallas - 40/60

Wild vs. Colorado - 40/60

Wild vs. St. Louis - 55/44

Wild vs. Chicago - 45/55

Wild vs. Calgary - 20/80

Wild vs. San Jose - 35/65

Wild vs. Vegas - 50/50

Wild vs. Vancouver - 50/50

Wild vs. Arizona - 45/55

Wild vs. Edmonton - 50/50

Wild vs. Anaheim - 50/50

Wild vs. Los Angeles - 60/40

As has been stated before, our penchant for our offense to disappear in the post season puts us at a huge disadvantage.  If our opponent has any kind of go-to scoring element I'd give them a significant edge over the 'hope someone shows up' Wild attack.  

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

The Dubnyk thing worked because the Wild finally had a solid goal tender. It allowed the rest of the team to concentrate on being offensive minded rather than always having to worry about cheating back to help out the goaltender, because they didn't trust the goaltender. The Wild have a solid goaltender in Dubnyk, contrary to popular belief. They give up 2.84 goals per game, which ranks them 7/15 teams in the West. 

That's why I put the "sorry about this" in the comment. 😁

I'm fine with Dubnyk in general. Yes he can be streaky and have his oops moments. Watch the other games and you similar goals being scored. Maybe if he didn't overreact to goals scored. The head flipping back, etc. Maybe show a little more calmness like it was no big thing.

Our goalies are not much of an issue, But how they are used is.

I went ahead and updated the OP with the current standings for those of us that like to scoreboard watch.
I suppose I can do that moving forward to the end of the season, update the standings for easy reference in our discussion here.....if not daily, at least pretty close to it.

Dallas did pull away some with their victory last night, but Vancouver, the team directly behind us fell to Philadelphia, so no change there.

Tonight is a BIG night however, as the Wild get a chance to put two points on the board....but the ENTIRE pack behind them also plays tonight, and we may see some teams flip flop positions as teams win and lose their games.

Dallas does not play tonight, so with a win, Minnesota can clip the deficit to them back to two points once again.

1 hour ago, ClusterChuck said:

That's why I put the "sorry about this" in the comment. 😁

I'm fine with Dubnyk in general. Yes he can be streaky and have his oops moments. Watch the other games and you similar goals being scored. Maybe if he didn't overreact to goals scored. The head flipping back, etc. Maybe show a little more calmness like it was no big thing.

Our goalies are not much of an issue, But how they are used is.

But that is a function of the anemic offense. If the 21 other players on the team can only manage 2.79 goals per game, you need the goaltender with the better GAA in nets to give you a better chance to win. Dubnyk is at 2.55 GAA and Stalock is at 3.00.

You're going to play Dubnyk more because he gives up less goals than the offense can score. If the offense could ever manage to get up over three goals per game, Stalock would probably see more time than the second game of a back-to-back. It would help also if Stalock would lower his GAA, but that means he probably has to play more. And the Wild aren't going to do that because they need to get into the Playoffs. To get into the Playoffs, they need to win. In order to win, they need to play the best goaltender: Dubnyk. Which at the current pace means Dubnyk will start about 65 games and Stalock 17. Which will lead to Dubnyk being worn out/overworked come Playoff time. And we all know how that ends...

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I went ahead and updated the OP with the current standings for those of us that like to scoreboard watch.
I suppose I can do that moving forward to the end of the season, update the standings for easy reference in our discussion here.....if not daily, at least pretty close to it.

Dallas did pull away some with their victory last night, but Vancouver, the team directly behind us fell to Philadelphia, so no change there.

Tonight is a BIG night however, as the Wild get a chance to put two points on the board....but the ENTIRE pack behind them also plays tonight, and we may see some teams flip flop positions as teams win and lose their games.

Dallas does not play tonight, so with a win, Minnesota can clip the deficit to them back to two points once again.

My Twitter poll concluded this morning, it had been up for two days...

I asked the following question...

Will the MN Wild make the playoffs this season, and if they do you think they'll make it out of the 1st round?

9 % said Yes to Both

61% said Make it but out in the 1st round

30% won't make it

91% feel this team will be the same as it has been the last 6 years or worse.  That's hope for you...

I am still hoping that our team will make the playoffs this season. Personally for me - to get into the playoffs season is a team's achievement. Not every team can do this even by trying to rebuild itself different ways for many years. Agreed with IllaZilla that Parise and Suter are still the key players for this team because without them our team has less depth. End of the last season(Suter's trauma) including playoffs(Parise's broken sternum) was an example of how we played after. Or every other player should step to a one step higher by himself to develop a stronger team's depth.  And I also really believe that BB would not let the Wild be without the playoffs spot in our Conference -  probably 5th-8th it does not matter. With our 56 points now (last year we had at that time 57 points) we need to get at least 41 points more (about 20 wins out of 29 games) to reach approximately 97 points. Last year with all our multiple injuries we were capable to get 101 points which means we have some dormant for years potential. The question is how to expose visually that potential to the fans now as well as to achieve better playoffs results? For the Capitals, it took more than a decade to pass their usual difficult 1st playoffs round. And also, in my opinion, to rebuild the team it does not mean to ruin first. Examples are same Capitals, Penguins, even Tampa, and Chicago. It means, carefully collecting /adding to the team hardworking talented players (ideally few high scorers), building their mentality, smartness, and toughness only in a winning positive mode. Depressed notes if the team getting a few soft goals in a game should be eliminated out of their(players) mentality. We have seen that kind of often this season - team practically stopped playing, which is not acceptable and depressing for the fans to watch. Probably, the best scouting staff organization is the key to start a nice looking team. The best coaching staff organization is the key to develop them into a real Stanley Cup contender. 

**Updated the OP with the most recent standings.**

Very frustrating loss again for Minnesota, but then, the entire Turtle Race pack, with the exception of St. Louis and Chicago, are still moving at a glacial pace.

Wild still hold the first WC, although now, very tenuously as the Blues, behind Jordan Binnington's outstanding performance, saw his team eek out a win against TB 1-0 in OT last night.
Hawks playing free n loose continued to win also, taking a chunk out of fellow turtle racer, Vancouver.

Everyone else (including our Wild right now) just playing *blech*.
Current match up for Min is still Winnipeg, although Nashville is closing in on them for the Central lead, which could mean a change of opponent for the Wild for Round 1 (assuming THEY hold their position of course!).

Teams that look like they are falling out of the picture right now are Arizona, Anaheim, and Los Angeles (not shown in the OP standings) is only one point behind them, but they were so far down the bottom, that this current little run they are on (beating non playoff teams, losing to playoff teams) is likely insignificant.

At any rate, Wild certainly not playing well, looking very disjointed.....yet still, in this, the Great Turtle Race, they hold the top WC position.
They now go East then back home to play more Eastern teams in an eclectic mix of teams ranging from very playoff viable (Islanders) to going nowhere this season (New Jersey) to THINK they can go somewhere this season, but aren't (Philadelphia).

Let's see if Minnesota can figure something out playing these teams before they get back to Western business later in the month against the Blues and Ducks.

And as horrible a slide the St. Louis Blues are going through they're 1 point behind us. This, after beating the Ducks, Blue Jackets, Panthers and Hurricanes their last 4 games. They win when they're supposed to, something the Wild always gloss over: Beating sub-par to much lessor teams. Every year they all but give 12-15 very valuable points to those teams; yet if they got them they could contend for home ice advantage and not be totally out of gas come playoff time.

56 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

And as horrible a slide the St. Louis Blues are going through they're 1 point behind us. This, after beating the Ducks, Blue Jackets, Panthers and Hurricanes their last 4 games. They win when they're supposed to, something the Wild always gloss over: Beating sub-par to much lessor teams. Every year they all but give 12-15 very valuable points to those teams; yet if they got them they could contend for home ice advantage and not be totally out of gas come playoff time.

Well, the Blues certainly are making a charge to a playoff spot, and yes, shame on the Wild for not stomping teams below them in the standings, but I wouldn't be singing the praises of the Blues too much.

They STILL haven't done a whole lot (oh yea, a nice lil roll they have been on), and with the roster they started the year with, they SHOULD have been up at the top with Nashville and Winnipeg...yet here they are, only now doing something, and nothing is guaranteed for them either.

All those games THEY lost to sub par teams or just looked flat out horrible in games in general.

I've watched a few of their games during their little roll here....Jordan Binnington has stolen many of those for the team, and their special teams are very fallible still.

I get the Wild should be doing more, they should show more urgency, and they should show a bit more heart night in, night out, but the Blues really aren't much better off than Minnesota.
I see St. Louis as a mirage. I think we have seen who they are during the year, and this run they are on does nothing to change my mind.

18 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, the Blues certainly are making a charge to a playoff spot, and yes, shame on the Wild for not stomping teams below them in the standings, but I wouldn't be singing the praises of the Blues too much.

They STILL haven't done a whole lot (oh yea, a nice lil roll they have been on), and with the roster they started the year with, they SHOULD have been up at the top with Nashville and Winnipeg...yet here they are, only now doing something, and nothing is guaranteed for them either.

All those games THEY lost to sub par teams or just looked flat out horrible in games in general.

I've watched a few of their games during their little roll here....Jordan Binnington has stolen many of those for the team, and their special teams are very fallible still.

I get the Wild should be doing more, they should show more urgency, and they should show a bit more heart night in, night out, but the Blues really aren't much better off than Minnesota.
I see St. Louis as a mirage. I think we have seen who they are during the year, and this run they are on does nothing to change my mind.

Is that the view through Wild tinted glasses?  Do you work for FSN, because you might want to stave off drinking the Kool-Aid.  

Jordan Binnington has stole games you say?  Or do you mean, Jordan Binnington has done what a goaltender is supposed to help you do: WIN GAMES.  

The Wild are hearing a lot of footsteps and the only way to stay ahead is to continue to win games.  The Wild had to rally to beat the worst team in the Metro on Saturday.  That's nice, but let's put it in perspective.  The Wild have put themselves in this situation, its up to them to get out of it.  IMO, if as Rotten says is true that even if this team makes it but it is so tired it doesn't have the stamina to win in the 1st round they might as well sell what assets they can at the desperation prices the trade deadline brings then get in and do nothing as they've mostly done the last 6 seasons.  

Also, the Wild-splaining schtick is getting a bit old.  We're not new fans to this team and we do watch the games too.    

***Updated Western Standings on the OP Entering Sun, Feb 10***

Minnesota, St. Louis, and Vancouver all put a bit of a cushion between themselves and the bottom of the pack with wins and inched closer to Dallas ahead (holding the 3rd divisional spot) as they lost to the Yotes yesterday.

Wild play today against 1st place Metro NY Islanders, tough draw for sure, while St. Louis (Predators), Colorado (Bruins), and Chicago (Red Wings) also have games.

I liked what I saw from guys like EEK and Luke Kunin in yesterday's game against the Devils, hey, if Minnesota can continue to get games like that out of them while our regular vets get themselves in gear, they may hold their position.

EEK, Kunin, and even Granlund (playing center) being given bigger roles due to missing players is a shot in the dark, but who knows...could be a blessing in disguise.

NY Islanders will present a real playoff type challenge for this team. Let's see how they handle that.

Wild still hanging on to a playoff spot...have a chance to put a bit of cushion between themselves and being out with a win tonight.

Blues shot by Minnesota with their tremendous win streak, but Dallas, Vancouver, and even Colorado still aren't doing a whole lot to separate themselves.

Oilers and Ducks are in action tonight as well, but they are further down the list.

Minnesota may be clinging to a spot, but at least they still have one.

3 hours ago, wildstars95 said:

Yeah, I know.
Looks pretty bad at this point.
But.....hey, they STILL have that last spot... lol.

Hey, if no one else wants it, Minnesota will take it, right?

I know this team has problems, but Minnesota has just over 20 games to at least patchwork stuff together, try and hang on, get in, then see what happens.
Underdogs all the way at this stage.

But some of us fans would rather see this team do what they can with what they have.
Of course, with the trading deadline, the complexion of EVERYTHING may change if the Wild decide to become sellers.

@TropicalFruitGirl26 but they always sell players who have an upside this team doesn't use. (Some) of the players cemented on the roster are the ones they need to move and that's just not going to happen. Too many of them are favored by Leipold.

Heck, he didn't even realize this team is what it is up until a few days ago and people here have seen the brick wall approached and passed several years ago.

2 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26 but they always sell players who have an upside this team doesn't use. (Some) of the players cemented on the roster are the ones they need to move and that's just not going to happen. Too many of them are favored by Leipold.

Heck, he didn't even realize this team is what it is up until a few days ago and people here have seen the brick wall approached and passed several years ago.

I know, I know...
Minnesota's track record with trading players, giving up on players, and value certain other players a bit too much is less than impressive over the last several seasons.

While I would still like to see the Wild get in the playoffs (because really, no matter how unlikely, a team can beat any other if they can at least get in), if the Wild ARE going to go into 'rebuild' mode, or retooling mode, or whatever they want to call it mode, I prefer that they go ALL in and do so.
Sell off whatever players they think they can get value for...pick up draft choices, pick up some minor leaguers with promise, so on and so forth.

As for the big contracts that either have NMC or aren't easily moved, if you sell off enough parts and just go rebuild, they may want to be traded then if they don't have the stomach for a rebuild...or they can stay and be part of the solution.

Truth be told, I am getting tired of the same ol, same ol as well from this team.
But if they get in, then play hard, no half arsed efforts out there...if they want to rebuild, then rebuild....either one or the other, no more in-between.

If the team decides to sell and just roll the dice on playoff chances with younger unproven players, then I guess the question has to be asked:
Can Paul Fenton do better than Chuck Fletcher did in acquiring the RIGHT young players?
I guess that is what we will be finding out soon enough.

1 minute ago, Icechipper said:

Amazing we are still an 8 seed. Consider Wild playing w/out two of its top players in Koivu and Dumba. We are fortunate Dubnyk has been healthy.

It really is amazing.
Of course, any other season with teams fighting hard and playing all out to one up each other for playoff spots, the Wild, playing as they are, would have been LONG dead and buried.

But not this year.
Tellin ya.
The Great Turtle Race.

Although some turtles like St. Louis and even Chicago seem to be outfitted with jetpacks now.. :bigteeth:

Mat Dumba though...man.... if there ever was a player that was making this team go early on, it was him.
I think he is missed MUCH more than Koivu at this point.
By himself, Dumba won't make the Wild a prime contender, but I bet he would make the Wild not only more dangerous offensively, but help keep the team from the kinds of lackluster play we have seen them cough up leads with the last few games.

When it comes to playoff hockey, sometimes it comes down to skill n swagger...and Dumba has plenty of both.

Its time to get out of the race and stop pretending.  Loser points have buoyed us enough to make us think we're still in it when we shouldn't be.  

My guess is the trade offers are pretty crappy right now; but hopefully that improves as we get closer to the deadline.  But its time to put this 'hope' down...its only adding needless stress IMO.  

14 hours ago, Icechipper said:

We are fortunate Dubnyk has been healthy.

Couldn't agree with you more. His game as of late has certainly improved our chances NOT to make it to the playoffs.... Dubnyk and his amazing stick handling (again) in OT against the Devils was a Tank Trophy worthy highlight.

15 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I know, I know...
Minnesota's track record with trading players, giving up on players, and value certain other players a bit too much is less than impressive over the last several seasons.

While I would still like to see the Wild get in the playoffs (because really, no matter how unlikely, a team can beat any other if they can at least get in), if the Wild ARE going to go into 'rebuild' mode, or retooling mode, or whatever they want to call it mode, I prefer that they go ALL in and do so.
Sell off whatever players they think they can get value for...pick up draft choices, pick up some minor leaguers with promise, so on and so forth.

As for the big contracts that either have NMC or aren't easily moved, if you sell off enough parts and just go rebuild, they may want to be traded then if they don't have the stomach for a rebuild...or they can stay and be part of the solution.

Truth be told, I am getting tired of the same ol, same ol as well from this team.
But if they get in, then play hard, no half arsed efforts out there...if they want to rebuild, then rebuild....either one or the other, no more in-between.

If the team decides to sell and just roll the dice on playoff chances with younger unproven players, then I guess the question has to be asked:
Can Paul Fenton do better than Chuck Fletcher did in acquiring the RIGHT young players?
I guess that is what we will be finding out soon enough.

The Wild aren't the only ones.

The Twins have given up on players, or felt they don't fit in... So they get rid of them (however means) and they go play elsewhere and excel. Their track record for doing so goes back decades.

Likewise the Vikings have done the same with standout players. Making foolish moves that wreck whatever good is going on into something far less than anyone ever imagines or... Well, now fans here literally always come to expect it.

And I shouldn't even have to mention the Minneapolis Lakers (now of course the Los Angeles Lakers.) They went elsewhere and flourished and now all we hear on the radio is crap about the Timberwolves. The losing-est team in MN gets more air time than any other pro sports team in Minnesota. Nerve wracking.

They build up hope in the fans and screw it up mercilessly.

That's a primary part... Of what I refer to as "What's in the water" here in Minnesota.

Edit: GM's from all these teams come and go... They're all insignificant. Of this the owners are about the only key ingredient and none of them are in it for anything less than making money while complaining this area isn't a big buck market. But they made their millions!

Coaches - who in many cases leave (or the team bi-passes them) and when they go elsewhere they win championships. Tony Dungy and Brian Billick were both assistants for the Vikings, whom they passed over for other selections. Both went on to win superbowls.

The players lists are large and I'm not going to spend hours looking them all up. But many of them over the course of their careers were sent packing, only to come back here to basically retire.

Archived