2019 Wild Playoff Chances and Possible Opponents

TropicalFruitGirl26

I don't know how contracts or cap space would work out, or if players would need to clear waivers but I have seen enough of a few players.

Brown, small, energetic but totally ineffective. He seems to be doing nothing that works out. Never seems to finish.

Aberg, maybe needs different linemates, but really doesn't look like an NHL talent.

Rask, was maybe good once, but looks worthless now.

Bitedo? I think we saw why he was on the waiver list.

Let's at least give some of the better prospects a look and see if there game can keep up to the speed of the NHL

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

Let's at least give some of the better prospects a look and see if there game can keep up to the speed of the NHL

That sounds good. We probably can't make the playoffs right now with the lackadaisical attitude so we should start the search for some fire in the belly right now. Attitude first as a target, the playoffs clearly a secondary target.

My dad used to say you can teach defense, you can teach the game, but you can’t teach talent and you can’t teach scoring. 

Some players just see that open spot behind the goalie and other see the goalie. 

You just can’t teach scoring!

32 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

My dad used to say you can teach defense, you can teach the game, but you can’t teach talent and you can’t teach scoring. 

Some players just see that open spot behind the goalie and other see the goalie. 

I think I recently heard Brian Burke saying something similar about Patrik Laine. You overpay goal scorers because goal scoring is something you either have in you or you don't - and very few have it.

11 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

That sounds good. We probably can't make the playoffs right now with the lackadaisical attitude so we should start the search for some fire in the belly right now. Attitude first as a target, the playoffs clearly a secondary target.

🤔 fire in the belly? A couple of ill prepared burritos should take care of that...

And a new GM, a new HC... probably a new owner too.

Well, guys...I updated the OP standings once more for the start of today's action.
Wild still in it, but boy....it sure does look like things are starting to really slip away this time.

3 pts out now of the final playoff spot (farthest out since this thread was started) and the teams around them playing well and Minnesota just can't seem to find that rhythm they had during that short lived win streak.

I agree this team just really isn't built for prime time anymore and MUCH work needs to be done in the off season, though it still would have been nice to get some of these guys (especially young players like Greenway, EEK, and Kunin) some NHL playoff games under their belts.

I will say this, however:
Even though the Wild win streak didn't last long and it seems they have reverted back to their fragile confidence ways, what their winning after the trade deadline DID show was that this team NEEDS to play north-south hockey, needs to play with speed, they need to initiate the attack.
Minnnesota doesn't have to abandon good defense, but when they decide its time to go on offense (particularly the transition through the neutral zone), then they need to go all out and make the opposition's defense earn their paychecks.

Wild don't work too well as a big bruising team (which, ironically, is BB's forte when it comes to coaching), but rather as a small, fast, deadly kinetic unit.

And if the current personnel isn't up to that task (some of them anyways), then THERE is the Wild's starting point for trying to rebuild the franchise. And part of that change may need to be behind the bench too.

Anyways, entering today, Minnesota out by 3 behind Arizona.
Wild welcome in the Rangers, while Arizona welcomes in the Oilers.

Dallas lost yesterday and the Blues are also in action (now as I type this), but honestly, those teams don't matter to the Wild right now.
Placement doesn't matter....it's just about getting in, if they can. And that means catching Arizona....and those guys continue to play well.

27 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

It still would have been nice to get some of these guys (especially young players like Greenway, EEK, and Kunin) some NHL playoff games under their belts.

We really need to see these guys playing in the playoffs. It's a probable first round and out appearance, but we would still have a chance to see how the kids cope in a playoffs environment. Are they big game players or do they start crumbling under pressure? I trust in Donato and Kunin, Eek and Greenway I'm ambivalent on, and I suspect Fiala is a major fialure, sorry failure when the going gets tough. Don't shoot me if I turn out to be totally wrong here 😋

Wild came up with a big win yesterday against the Rangers. Pretty convincing too.
I will not say that the "fast, hungry" Wild are back after watching some of that game, but again, two points is two points and it doesn't matter what level of team they get them against...……. Rangers obviously being a down n out of the playoffs hockey team.

Things get a bit tougher today as Minnesota seeks to tie Arizona in points for the final playoff spot. The Wild face the Islanders who should provide a very tough, physical, and grindy type game for them....you know, the kind Minnesota is likely to see in the playoffs.
The Isles themselves are fighting to stay in the Metro division hunt and NOT fall into the wild card scramble in the East.

Here is a team that, if the Wild don't show up in ANY aspect of their game, the Islanders will simply run them over. Look up "Max Effort" anywhere, and you should see a picture of Barry Trotz and any hockey team he has coached...just the way those guys are.

Arizona didn't win yesterday, but they lost in OT, which means they still gained the vaunted loser point putting them two full points now ahead of the Wild.
Meanwhile, behind Minnesota, the Avalanche are on the verge of falling out finally.....they play New Jersey today in hopes of keeping any faint hopes of the playoffs for themselves alive.

And those Chicago Blackhawks, well, they just won't go away. Their playoff hopes (and catching either the Wild or Coyotes) aren't much better than Colorado's, however, they ARE on a current 5-game win streak and are off setting horrible defense with fantastic offense, and coming off a shut out win in their last game, of all things!

OP standings are updated to reflect today's standings and the Wild have work to do a bit later on against the NY Islanders!

On 3/16/2019 at 6:22 AM, Tomdog said:

Totally agree. Talent capable to find the hole in the net which the other players do not able to see it/or at least to feel it.

Our chances to get into playoffs are very slim (too little effort in a previous 70 games - too late success at the end), but still are possible if we will be able to win all remaining games with enormous effort which is questionable. Even just a participation in Stanley Cup playoffs during the first round still is a team's achievement. Many players during their NHL career did not have a chance to feel the atmosphere of the playoffs animal. And I understand very well recent Foligno’s talks about team’s frustrated play when he mentioned that he participated just only once in his career in playoffs, but really wants to get those playoffs feelings(playoffs drive) much more under his skin.

who here has the best shot at knocking off the shames as a 8th seed AZ,Col,Chicago ,Van

nothing worse than living here in calgary and already planning parade route..the only happiness for myself this season is to see the shames knocked out of the playoffs early😒

Ever get invited to a tot-starred Nutcracker ballet performance, having endured two hours and then come to find it's not over, just an intermission.....? No? Well that's what watching the Wild is right now. Lord knows they are trying, but this show is over...………..

Yes, fellow Wild fans, things are indeed looking dark as far as any post season appearances go, BUT, you know, the math still has them at just a point out, and Arizona has had ample opportunity to pull away (including tonight while Minnesota is idle), and they haven't done it either.

But I can see why people can look at this and go "it's over".
I will hold out hope, however, until I see the math just tells me otherwise, despite what I am seeing on the ice.

A bright spot (well, somewhat bright), is that since the Wild seem to play better on the road than at home, 4 of their next 5 will be at an arena other than the X.
Granted, those road games WILL be tough (Washington, Carolina, Arizona, Vegas...with a home game against the Preds squeezed in there), but at this point, the Wild need the tougher opponents.....it will either elevate them again, or completely bury them. 

We should have an answer, exactly, as to what this team will be doing after that gauntlet of games coming up.

10 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Ever get invited to a tot-starred Nutcracker ballet performance, having endured two hours and then come to find it's not over, just an intermission.....? No? Well that's what watching the Wild is right now. Lord knows they are trying, but this show is over...………..

The one good thing about the intermission is that it does give you the opportunity to leave. That can't be done with the Wild though. Been there done that. I feel hopeful anyways. The window of opportunity seems to have closed for now but the prospect pool has a glimmer of light in it.

27 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Soooooo, you're sayin' there's still a chance...……..?😉

Well, theoretically...yes... :biggrin:

Wild gonna have to earn it though. They had their chances against lesser opponents, now their schedule is filled with contenders.
I just can't believe how terrible they've been at getting W's at home...especially down the stretch! It's uncanny!

**Another update to the OP standings for entering play tomorrow***

Just like that, with a win over the defending champion Capitals, the Minnesota Wild leapfrog over both Arizona and Colorado to reclaim the final wild card spot and sit 3 pts behind Dallas for the 1st WC position.

Big day tomorrow as 28 of the 31 teams will be playing and that includes the Wild and all relevant teams to their either staying in, or getting booted out of the top 8.

Wild are down in Raleigh to face those vaunted Bunch of Jerks (TM)...
Avs are home against the Blackhawks who are trying to sneak into the top 8 themselves...

Yotes are on the road in New Jersey....

Stars are home against the Penguins who are jockeying for position in the Metro division top 3 while trying to stave off the wild card teams in the East hot on their tail feathers!

Right now, it is looking like if the Wild can hang onto the final spot, the 1st round draw will be the Calgary Flames.
Flames are taking control in the Pacific with San Jose still in 2nd, but sputtering and struggling to get wins.

Plus, Calgary has a healthy 7 point lead over Central leading Winnipeg so they might end up with home ice as long as they stay in the West.

***Updated the standings for entering play today, Sunday March 24***

Due to the Wild's inability to garner ANY points (even an OT loss would have sufficed), they now sit back on the outside of the playoff picture by a point, but trailing both Colorado and Arizona now.

The Yotes haven't been getting it done either, but look out, the Avs, thought dead not too long ago, are streaking and might even have Dallas in their sights for the 1st and firmer wild card position.

What it's come down to is a game of musical chairs between the Avs, Wild, Yotes, and even Dallas with their recent struggles.
Seems a win here, a loss there by any of the four shifts things across the board and a team could easily find itself out or in on any given night.

Safe to say St. Louis is now playing well enough to be kept away from the wild card pack...in fact, they are now challenging Nashville for home ice in the first round.
So it is 4 teams with only the two Wild card available positions.

Which two teams will be left standing with no chair when the music stops playing?
About 6 or 7 more games till we find out....

@TropicalFruitGirl26 thanks for the updates!

Honestly, I believe and called it at the beginning of the season the Wild don't make the playoffs. I still believe this. And honestly I think the team was done back when Parise and Suter did the whole Oates ordeal. Like it or hate it they went out together and with no one else to do their own thing. They didn't include anybody else even though there is at least 2 to 3 other guys out there with them on the ice for a power play. They completely disregarded their coach and even showed complete disrespect to the coach by having Oates sit in on a team practice. Those two showed not only to the other players but their coaches too that they are above everybody else and can do what they want with no consequences. That should have been able to void their contracts. But you know that left a toxic environment in the locker room. I mean how would you feel if you had two coworkers working on a group project with you and they went behind their bosses back to "get help" on it and then come back with that help in front of your boss then end up watching the boss get fired and no consequences to the guys who completely said screw your rules that everybody else has to follow. Yes they are pros but this is also their jobs and money. Knowing it would end for you if you did the same thing is not a good feeling and makes you go why do I care about a company that allows a select few to do whatever they want well everybody else would get in serious trouble if they even thought about doing the same thing.

I think the Wild miss the playoffs by 6 points from the last WC spot. Maybe they will finally move on from catering and babying the big 3 and put them in their place. Let the younger guys develop together with top minutes. Put them in key situations to allow them to learn. How will they improve if they don't get to ride those situations? Parise, Koivu and Suter have shown at this point they don't make a impact on it and they are all close to hanging it up. It's time to move on from them.

40 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

I think the Wild miss the playoffs by 6 points from the last WC spot. Maybe they will finally move on from catering and babying the big 3 and put them in their place. Let the younger guys develop together with top minutes. Put them in key situations to allow them to learn. How will they improve if they don't get to ride those situations? Parise, Koivu and Suter have shown at this point they don't make a impact on it and they are all close to hanging it up. It's time to move on from them.

You know that's never going to happen.

I can already hear the excuse machine ramping up: "We didn't have Dumba all year, Koivu was out for the Playoff run, Parise played hurt all of March, Suter was still recovering from his injury, etc. Next year with everyone healthy and with the new guys getting a full season under their belts, we'll be better!"

Those guys are going to go right back to their prime slots and Kunin, Eriksson-Ek, Donato, etc. are all going to be relegated to the third and fourth lines. Wash, rinse, repeat... 

21 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

You know that's never going to happen.

I can already hear the excuse machine ramping up: "We didn't have Dumba all year, Koivu was out for the Playoff run, Parise played hurt all of March, Suter was still recovering from his injury, etc. Next year with everyone healthy and with the new guys getting a full season under their belts, we'll be better!"

Those guys are going to go right back to their prime slots and Kunin, Eriksson-Ek, Donato, etc. are all going to be relegated to the third and fourth lines. Wash, rinse, repeat... 

I know, I know, our owner is a complete moron. I mean his hockey IQ is probably somewhere between 1 and 10. He shouldn't have been allowed to purchase even a t-shirt with anything hockey on it. But it's hard not to have even the slightest of hope that somewhere in CL's 5 brain cells that one would fire and see this and try to get the team to move the right way. Pipe dream, I know but still I have to have even the slightest hope.

But I am waiting to here Suter is recovering still, we lost Koivu, we lost Dumba, Parise got hurt, Rask hasn't found his game yet, nobody stepped up, etc.

36 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

We didn't have Dumba all year, Koivu was out for the Playoff run, Parise played hurt all of March, Suter was still recovering from his injury, etc.

All these things happened, did they not?

1 hour ago, sweetshot said:

All these things happened, did they not?

Yup, just like other teams but guess what? Those other teams show heart, grit and determination to keep winning and some of those teams are going to go to the playoffs. The Wild are severely lacking that and as usually use those said examples as excuses and continue to run the same way year after year with the same results.

Archived