Predators beef up 4th line

yave1964

Nashville waded into the trading pool wednedsday adding veterans Brian Boyle and Cody Mcleod for a 2nd and a 4th rounder respectively.

Boyle is a man mountain down the middle who is a penalty killer and a sneaky goal scorer occasionally, he can bump up a line occasionally if needed. He brings tons of playoff experience and grit to a team that is fighting to catch Winnipeg for the coveted first place. First place in most years means little as 8 very good teams make the playoffs but the West is top heavy with 4 or 5 outstanding teams and a bunch of very flawed teams fighting for the remaining spots, first place almost assures playing an Anaheim or St. Louis or Edmonton type while 2nd place will set up a much more difficult matchup. Home ice throughout the western conference is still within reach.

Mcleod is literally the last of a dying breed, over 700 career games, eight minutes a night of sandpaper and grit, a fearless fighter who will take anyone on at any time. He was part of a deep run a few years ago when Nashville made the SCF as well as being a fan favorite. 

They have been running guys like Zac Rinaldo, the tiny Rocco Grimaldi, the disappointing Gaudreau and Salomaki so these two are considered an upgrade and add much needed depth for the postseason. It is probably a sign that Austin Watson is done for the year as well.

OH and probably most important both players are UFA at seasons end so their is little if any risk involved, if Boyle has a strong postseason he likely stays around, same with Mcleod. If both are non entities they will be quickly forgotten. The cost for the potential reward is minimal. 

I had read somewhere that Rinaldo was injured and out for the season.  I'm not sure why any would team would feel a need to replace him.  IMO a 2nd and 4th is too much for both players.   Boyle is a nice acquisition to solidify the Predators down the middle, especially without Auston Watson, but I'm not sold he is worth a 2nd round pick.

I can understand the acquisition for Brian Boyle by Nashville.
He is a good team guy, versatile on the front lines, is a more than capable 3c/4c, still checks pretty well and can chip in scoring, especially if the opposition underestimates his ability to do so and leaves him glaring chances.

He is also quite 'hungry' in the sense that he has been oh-so-close to a Cup on a couple of occasions (with the NYR and TB), so he should be HIGHLY motivated being on a team with a legit shot.

I DO think giving up a 2nd rounder for him is a bit on the high side (maybe 3rd or 4th rounder would have suited acquiring a bottom six guy better), but if Nashville wanted to make absolutely sure NJ bit and traded him to them, forgoing other teams, then I can see why Nashville parted with their 2nd.....they are definitely going all in, or rather, wanting to get over that hump in that search for their 1st Stanley Cup.

Now....we go from that good deal with NJ to.....Cody McCleod.
Ok, ok...so the Preds gave up a 7th rounder...that is NOT a big deal at all, and yes, I do understand McCleod offers good size and toughness.
But honestly, I see McCleod as an ends TO the playoffs...not a factor IN them.

Seriously. He seems like the type of guy that when it comes time for Nashville to decide who will be on their playoff roster on a given series, he won't be dressing. Why dress a pair of fists when you can just dress guys who give you a legit shot to contribute on offense, on defense, on special teams?
McCleod does none of that.

He can be useful as a bottom six minutes eater leading to the post season, but that's about it.

Surely there was someone else available from another team that would at least be more than a visor-less tough guy....no?
No. Ok.  :)

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

I had read somewhere that Rinaldo was injured and out for the season.  I'm not sure why any would team would feel a need to replace him.  IMO a 2nd and 4th is too much for both players.   Boyle is a nice acquisition to solidify the Predators down the middle, especially without Auston Watson, but I'm not sold he is worth a 2nd round pick.

Kyle Turris is on IR still so Boyle will help replace him and Austin Watson played 3rd line RW and i guess they will plug Calle Jarnkrok into his spot, a spot i thought they could pursue Simmonds for but maybe not.

And yeah with Rinado done and Solamaki out injured Cody Mcleod was acquired...not sure why the goons are not really involved come playoffs. Seems like the Preds always have picks to burn.

8 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Boyle is a man mountain down the middle who is a penalty killer and a sneaky goal scorer occasionally, he can bump up a line occasionally if needed.

I forget he was a 1st round pick for the Kings in 2003.

He has had a journeyman's career but you would have to almost label him a bust.

Kings passed on Corey Perry.

A solid rental because he can play 3rd line in a pinch.

They still have their 1st round pick so they might not be done dealing...and 6 other draft picks.

Archived