Wild vs. Oilers 2/7/19 @ 7:00PM CST at the X

CreaseAndAssist

Wild vs. Oilers Game Preview

Minnesota Wild (26-22-5)  57pts  4th in the Central

2.81 Goals For Per Game (25th in the NHL)

2.87 Goals Against Per Game (10th in the NHL)

21% Power Play (15th in the NHL)

82.5% Penalty Kill (8th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #11 Zach Parise ~ 21G 25A = 46pts

2. #64 Mikael Granlund ~ 12G 32A = 44pts

3. #12 Eric Staal ~ 17G 20A = 37pts

4. #20 Ryan Suter ~ 6G 30A = 36pts

5. #46 Jared Spurgeon ~ 10G 22A = 32pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #36 Nick Seeler ~ 41 PIM’s

2. #29 Greg Pateryn ~ 33 PIM’s

3. #17 Marcus Foligno ~ 33 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #40 Devan Dubnyk (20-17-4)  2.59GAA  .913%SP  1SO

2. #32 Alex Stalock (6-5-1)  3.00GAA  .892%SP

Vs.

Edmonton Oilers (23-25-5)  51pts  6th in the Pacific

2.83 Goals For Per Game (24th in the NHL)

3.36 Goals Against Per Game (27th in the NHL)

22.1% Power Play (9th in the NHL)

74.9% Penalty Kill (30th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #97 Connor McDavid ~ 31G 47A = 78pts

2. #29 Leon Draisaitl ~ 31G 34A = 65pts

3. #93 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ~ 16G 33A = 49pts

4. #25 Darnell Nurse ~ 6G 21A = 27pts

5. #39 Alex Chiasson ~ 17G 8A = 25pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #44 Zack Kassian ~ 80 PIM’s

2. #27 Milan Lucic ~ 63 PIM’s

3. #25 Darnell Nurse ~ 44 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #19 Mikko Koskinen (14-11-2)  2.89GAA  .906%SP  3SO

2. #33 Cam Talbot (9-14-3)  3.39GAA  .892%SP  1SO

MNSOTA wrote the game preview, I will be on the post-gamer.  This will be a pretty good test to see what life will be like without Mikko Koivu as 1-2 punch that is McDavid and Draisaitl come to St. Paul.  Will the Wild miss his defensive ability, probably...will they miss him otherwise?  Maybe, maybe not.  We'll find out soon enough.  Coyle likely ends up centering Koivu's former line.  Enjoy and discuss...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think tonight's game certainly will be interesting, more so for what occurs with the actual team than the game itself. Yes, the Wild need the two points, but...

The Wild need to figure out what to do with Coyle. They keep moving him back and forth from center to wing. Pick a spot and leave him there. Maybe this injury to Koivu will finally force the Wild to put him at center and leave him there. Maybe Coyle finally becomes the player the Wild keep saying he's going to be. Or maybe this will show us that Coyle is as good as he's going to be.

Does the power play become more dynamic now that Koivu isn't setting up all the time on the halfwall? Or does the team continue its slow, methodical power play time wasting?

Who steps up now? Koivu isn't on the ice, so now is the time for some of these young guys to shine. They don't have to worry about being better than Koivu. Or does the team completely collapse without Der Kapitan?

I'm going to find that Air Popper the Mrs. bought at a garage sale a decade ago and see if it still works...:PopcornSmiley2:

5 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

Since nobody can kill the PP better than Koivu maybe the PP can be more assertive for once.

My vote for biggest PP killer is Suter. He takes so long to make his ponderous way back to the zone every time the PK ices the puck that it's hard to blame goalies for getting impatient and deciding to go get the puck themselves.

The biggest concern I have with Koivu out is: who's going to cover for Suter's lazy "defense"? Unless he suddenly finds a new gear, I fear that we'll be treated to seeing a lot of stupid facial expressions from #20, as if to say "gee, my one armed stick check didn't stop the guy from scoring?"

As bad as Koivu is on PP, I've gotta give credit where it's due: his Selke caliber defensive play is gonna be mighty hard to replace.

7 minutes ago, Megawild said:

I flip over to FSN+ and the first thing I hear is "blizzard conditions in St. Paul".

The asshat even has to exaggerate the weather.

LOL, I had that thought as well.

Just now, McMahon 6 said:

@Megawild  Am pretty sure it's three A's, no C if a captain is out of commission.

Interesting.  I kinda thought that what was implied, but I wanted to ask in case I missed clarification.

He's gone, I'd prefer a new C.   Don't want to butthurt El-Kap I reckon.  🙄

Archived