Weise to Canadiens for Schlemko

yave1964

Bargain basement deal here.

Montreal traded disappointing Dave Schlemko and mediocre forward Bryan Froese to the Flyers for disappointing Dale Weise and Christian Frolin.

Weise will be sent to Laval in the AHL, Frolin will slot into the 7th D slot for Montreal. Schlemko has split the season between the AHL and NHL and will likely do the same with the Flyers as the first callup in case of injury. Froese is having a good year in the AHL and will likely be assigned to the AHL as well. He has a well earned rep as a solid energy player who plays the 4th line but can score a bit. 

Weise had some success with the Canadiens and will likely be recalled soon to play the 4th line. 

A change of scenery deal, shuffling the deck a bit both teams ridding themselves of players who didn't live up to expectations.

39 minutes ago, hf101 said:

They ain't trading Ghost.

Schlemko will replace Myers in Phantom lineup.

The other kid will give Phantoms another center.

Looks like the Flyers have 8.9 mill in cap space.

Something may go down soon but I don't think it will be Ghost.

This is a minors deal, however, should either side decide to call up one player, I think the main pieces here are Christian Folin for Montreal and David Schlemko for the Flyers.

Dale Weise is probably much slower than Habs fans remember, and while he could certainly fill a 4th line role, I think Montreal fans will find that for over 2 million, they could certainly do better, or find better for their big club on even a 4th line.

Byron Froese will do nothing for the Flyers.... the Phantoms? Maybe. But not the Flyers. They are looking for fast rugged forwards with some scoring ability....Froese doesn't fit that description.

Now, Christian Folin…. good shot, good size, and when he decides to do so, can be pretty physical. He has experience working within a structured defensive style (which did NOT exist in Philly, but did in LA and Minnesota where he was previously), so I think he may help the Habs as a 3rd pair or extra defenseman...and even though he will be a UFA, his salary is minimal, and I don't think the Habs are looking past this year with him. Only the fact they have a chance to get into the playoffs THIS year, and he might be able to help.

For Philly, David Schlemko.
No, he isn't going to revolutionize ANYTHING for the Flyers, but he at least is known as a shot block, stay at home type defender, and Philly, with holes ALL OVER their defensive core, could possibly use someone like that.

Salary isn't terrible, and if Philly likes what they see, he is signed for one more year after this one.
All in all, even if Schlemko doesn't do anything for Philly of note, they still get out from under Dale Weise, as I know many Flyer fans, and obviously the club itself, simply didn't want him there any longer.

24 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

This is a minors deal, however, should either side decide to call up one player, I think the main pieces here are Christian Folin for Montreal and David Schlemko for the Flyers.

Dale Weise is probably much slower than Habs fans remember, and while he could certainly fill a 4th line role, I think Montreal fans will find that for over 2 million, they could certainly do better, or find better for their big club on even a 4th line.

Byron Froese will do nothing for the Flyers.... the Phantoms? Maybe. But not the Flyers. They are looking for fast rugged forwards with some scoring ability....Froese doesn't fit that description.

Now, Christian Folin…. good shot, good size, and when he decides to do so, can be pretty physical. He has experience working within a structured defensive style (which did NOT exist in Philly, but did in LA and Minnesota where he was previously), so I think he may help the Habs as a 3rd pair or extra defenseman...and even though he will be a UFA, his salary is minimal, and I don't think the Habs are looking past this year with him. Only the fact they have a chance to get into the playoffs THIS year, and he might be able to help.

For Philly, David Schlemko.
No, he isn't going to revolutionize ANYTHING for the Flyers, but he at least is known as a shot block, stay at home type defender, and Philly, with holes ALL OVER their defensive core, could possibly use someone like that.

Salary isn't terrible, and if Philly likes what they see, he is signed for one more year after this one.
All in all, even if Schlemko doesn't do anything for Philly of note, they still get out from under Dale Weise, as I know many Flyer fans, and obviously the club itself, simply didn't want him there any longer.

They are basically Phantom help.

This frees up a roster spot for Myers who was called up and who will play more than likely next game.

They could be do this to decide where he is to decide to pull the trigger on another deal for a package deal.

Like Simmer and Sanheim or Ghost for something just an example.

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I hope this isn't a precursor to a deal that includes Sanheim or Ghost. I don't think it is, hope it's not. 

Frees up about $250k in cap for next season. 

I agree I am not read for a shake up like that.

Simmonds or Jake sure I would be down with it.

But not Sanheim or Ghost just don't want to give up on them yet.

8 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Byron Froese will do nothing for the Flyers.... the Phantoms? Maybe. But not the Flyers

Right.

The only thing this does is put a body on the Phantoms' blueline so Phil Myers can come up.

58 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Phil Myers is the winner here too....i wouldn't mind seeing him play versus the Penguins...

Do you know what's going on with Morin?  Is he going to play this year?  

If so, is the Myers' call-up temporary, you think?

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Well at this point Meyers has earned the call-up.  And as long as he continues to play in the NHL as he did with the Phantoms then my guess he is here to stay.  This was Fletcher's quote today.

The most I've read on Morin is he is a couple of weeks away from a conditioning assignment.

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think he plays after the dead line when waivers aren't required maybe and he plays on the Phantoms the rest of the year or till he is ready to play on the Flyers.

Goes down on a condition stint and when he needs to come up it won't count as one of their call ups before the end of the season.

On 2/9/2019 at 11:25 AM, hf101 said:

Excellent!   This means Meyers can finally join the Flyers allowing MacDonald to be the 7th D-man or look to trade Ghost.

Love to a snipper for Ghost.

Archived