Minnesota Wild vs. New York Islanders 2/10/19 @ 2PM CST at Barclay's Center

CreaseAndAssist

Wild vs. Islanders Game Preview

Minnesota Wild (27-23-5)  59pts  4th in the Central

2.80 Goals For Per Game (25th in the NHL)

2.87Goals Against Per Game (12th in the NHL)

21.0% Power Play (14th in the NHL)

82.4% Penalty Kill (8th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #11 Zach Parise ~ 22G 25A = 47pts

2. #64 Mikael Granlund ~ 12G 32A = 44pts

3. #12 Eric Staal ~ 17G 20A = 37pts

4. #20 Ryan Suter ~ 6G 31A = 37pts

5. #46 Jared Spurgeon ~ 10G 22A = 32pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #36 Nick Seeler ~ 43 PIM’s

2. #17 Marcus Foligno ~ 38 PIM’s

3. #29 Greg Pateryn ~ 33 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #40 Devan Dubnyk (21-18-4)  2.58GAA  .912%SP  1SO

2. #32 Alex Stalock (6-5-1)  3.00GAA  .892%SP

Vs.

New York Islanders (32-16-6)  70pts  1st in the Metropolitan

2.87Goals For Per Game (21st in the NHL)

2.35 Goals Against Per Game (1st in the NHL)

16.0% Power Play (26th in the NHL)

80.3% Penalty Kill (14th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #13 Matt Barzal ~ 16G 32A = 48pts

2. #12 Josh Bailey ~ 12G 27A = 39pts

3. #27 Anders Lee ~ 18G 20A = 38pts

4. #29 Brock Nelson ~ 17G 19A = 36pts

5. #7 Jordan Eberle ~ 13G 13A = 26pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #24 Scott Mayfield ~ 46 PIM’s

2. #27 Anders Lee ~ 41 PIM’s

3. #15 Cal Clutterbuck ~ 38 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #1 Thomas Greiss (15-8-2)  2.33GAA  .926%SP  3SO

2. #35 Robin Lehner (17-8-4)  2.05GAA  .930%SP  3SO

MNSOTA wrote up the game preview and I will be on the post-game article which (spoiler alert) will have a ton of prospect news in it.  So the Wild felt a little relief after their win over New Jersey ok, that's nice...but they're in last place.  Now the Wild get to face the club that is arguably the surprise team in the season in the Islanders who have learned how to play strong defensive hockey under coach Barry Trotz.  The goalie rotation has worked out pretty well for the Islanders and since Lehner played yesterday against Colorado in the Isles' 4-3 OT win, my guess is Greiss gets the start against the Wild.  Not sure if Boudreau figures Dubnyk can handle a back to back because he wasn't tested all that often against New Jersey.  Enjoy and discuss...

I'm not sure BB even comprehends what "goalie rotation" means and what are the implications when it's been carried out properly.

Surprised to see Granny struggling so much with scoring; in yesterday's game he seemed to make nothing but good moves in the offensive zone.

Don't know what's happened to Zucker but obviously not meeting the expectations so far.

This is BB's 3rd season and essentially the offensive corps have stayed the same the whole time. Why has it been so difficult for him to find line combos that work and stick to those? Constantly shuffling the lines like Yeo in his prime...*oops*..."prime", hah...

10 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

I'm not sure BB even comprehends what "goalie rotation" means and what are the implications when it's been carried out properly.

Surprised to see Granny struggling so much with scoring; in yesterday's game he seemed to make nothing but good moves in the offensive zone.

Don't know what's happened to Zucker but obviously not meeting the expectations so far.

This is BB's 3rd season and essentially the offensive corps have stayed the same the whole time. Why has it been so difficult for him to find line combos that work and stick to those? Constantly shuffling the lines like Yeo in his prime...*oops*..."prime", hah...

I hope the Wild go in there and take their damn heads off.  I cannot believe I found a thread here that is NOT FLYERS.

Big, bruising, opportunistic team with good goaltending.
Much like the Wild would face if matched with Winnipeg.....and on the road too.

Looking forward to seeing what the 'new look' boys in green n white can do against such a team.

And I really hope Boudreau leaves lines together for more than a game or two.

Gotta let the boys develop chemistry!

If the Wild can utilize speed, maybe they have a shot. You can expect the Islanders, especially if things don't go their way, to resort to the extreme physical play and bully tactics.... Minnesota's 4th line will have their hands full today.

Go Wild GO!!
:wild:

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Big, bruising, opportunistic team with good goaltending.
Much like the Wild would face if matched with Winnipeg.....and on the road too.

Looking forward to seeing what the 'new look' boys in green n white can do against such a team.

And I really hope Boudreau leaves lines together for more than a game or two.

Gotta let the boys develop chemistry!

If the Wild can utilize speed, maybe they have a shot. You can expect the Islanders, especially if things don't go their way, to resort to the extreme physical play and bully tactics.... Minnesota's 4th line will have their hands full today.

Go Wild GO!!
:wild:

For once we are in agreement.  Go Wild.  And go Sabres and Blues

3 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

It was the same way with Yeo, Torchetti to a degree after he 'evaluated' the team and things got right back to the same old scrambled egg line changes I've been griping about for too long.

So... I put that on Fletcher (over time) seeing as BB is facing the same old crud. Now with Fenton? It's still going on. SOme put it on the players, I put it on Leipold (whom I put it on long, long ago after seeing the same old crap take place when Yeo was making stupid player decisions.) For me it's been on Leipold ever since and I don't see it changing in the future unless Liepold sells the team. Even at that we saw the same dismal 'economical teams' out of Naegele and to a good degree with the North Stars dating back to god knows when.

57 minutes ago, Megawild said:

The Rangers do play a fun style of hockey, it's definitely entertaining to watch

Do you mean Islanders?

Anyway, I just finished today's shift of fixing first world problems. Per LIG, the only guys really playing are Ek and Dubnyk.

1 minute ago, MNSOTA said:

Do you mean Islanders?

Anyway, I just finished today's shift of fixing first world problems. Per LIG, the only guys really playing are Ek and Dubnyk.

Crap my bad, yes Islanders....   Brain no work today.

Late Surge By Wild Not Enough in 2-1 Loss to the Islanders

The Wild had a better 3rd period, but too many players sleepwalking through the first two periods.  #3, #29, #16 were notoriously lazy through those first two periods to me.  On the flipside, Eriksson Ek was outstanding and I felt that line was arguably the team's best from start to finish.  Kunin also was decent, but Eriksson Ek showed poise, good strength and some jump in his skates.  Dubnyk played well enough IMO to give this team a chance to win.  I have a full game recap an Iowa Wild report and a ton of prospect news as I promised earlier.  Enjoy!

Tough, tough loss against a very good, lock down, grinding team in the NY Islanders.

Too little too late towards the end, but the Isles netminder, Thomas Greiss, came up large when he needed to.
Minnesota showed flashes of a faster looking team, but the passing was off and it was like slogging through tar for them, it seemed, whenever they had to navigate Islander traffic in the neutral zone and the offensive zone.

Team flies back now to the Midwest, and home, and open a four game stretch where, hopefully, some home cookin can come into play.
Philadelphia and New Jersey are first up Tues and Fri of this coming week.

Archived