Athanasiou—The New Darren Helm?

SpikeDDS

OK. I over sold it in the title.

But Andreas Athanasiou gets more golden opportunities than any other Red Wing. But they guy has forgotten how to finish.

If I was AA, I would try to “recharge” by practicing breakaway moves every chance I could get after practice!

First Draper. Then Helm. Now AA? We always seem to have a speedster who is lightning fast, but doesn’t know how to fiiish. Well, AA is better than the first two, but he is also better than he is showing right now. Whaddya gotta do as a coach to get him going again?

Yeah he has been snakebit the last several weeks hasn't he? I think he is a bit better than that though, he is just fighting the puck right now, all kids go through it, I think 25 goals a year is very realistic. Still not sure why they wont play him at center, he did very well there the game that Lark missed displaying excellent vision as a setup guy (although he won only 5 of 15 faceoffs).

He is in the midst of a 10 game goalless drought but during that time he has 7 assists.  He also has set a career high in points already with over 20 games still on the schedule. 

All that said, it sounds like I am calling him the next Crosby, lol, believe me I am not, I think he is thepiece we should dangle for a top four veteran d-man tied up long term, someone like Cam Fowler from Anaheim would be ideal as Anaheim needs scoring and Detroit needs defense. I like AA, I really do but I fear he has peaked and will be a speedy 45-50 point a year guy, absolutely nothing wrong with those type of players every team needs them but we have guys who are in need of ice time and he would fetch the best return.

Archived