Flyers call up Phil Myers...what's next...

hf101

Inquiring minds want to know .... any chance that Ghost could be converted to a forward?  Just curious and trying to think outside the box here.  Not sure if it is even a remote possibility.  Thoughts?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I have no insider information, but I'm willing to bet something is definitely brewing on the trade front.  Definitely for Simmonds and probably for another D man, most likely Ghost, Mac or Gudas.   Lord I hope it's Mac, but it's most likely Ghost simply because of Fletcher's "only G is safe" comments and because Ghost would likely fetch the most. 

It's feasible that he's got a deal or Morin or Hagg on the table, but either of those would likely fetch far less in return. 

Well since teams always seem to look for depth defensemen at the deadline, maybe Fletcher could trade MacDonald while retaining 50% of his cap hit for this year and next.

9 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Well since teams always seem to look for depth defensemen at the deadline, maybe Fletcher could trade MacDonald while retaining 50% of his cap hit for this year and next.

I don't think anyone's going to care about his cap hit for this year.  

Next year is debatable and it would certainly sweeten the pot.

One thing to keep in mind is that under Fletcher, Mac's actually doing fairly ok.  

I'm sure some salary retention would sweeten the return, but I don't know that it would be 100% necessary depending on the team.  

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

Ghost and Simmonds for Subban?

Ghost for Stone?

I'd do either, but I can't see why Nashville would trade him.

Ghost for Stone is very interesting.   

I'd hate it for Ghost.  I wanted him to be our dude.  

But if Ghost can't be Ghost, he's not doing us any good, even if it's not his fault.  

27 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'd do either, but I can't see why Nashville would trade him.

Ghost for Stone is very interesting.   

I'd hate it for Ghost.  I wanted him to be our dude.  

But if Ghost can't be Ghost, he's not doing us any good, even if it's not his fault.  

Apparently Subban is available. 

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/may-2018/could-subban-get-moved-again/

That was at the end of last season, focusing on moving Subban in the off-season if it were to happen. TSN and Friedman are sources on the matter, so it appears legit.

Now, would they still consider it? I don't know, but at least part of the reason to move him was related to the cap, and I don't think Nashville's situation has changed all that much.

Ghost gives them a cost-controlled offensive weapon that can be sheltered.

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would need more back in that deal Ghost is on a nice contract while Stone is  UFA.

I could have SWORN Stone was RFA, not UFA.  Total Mandela effect moment.

No, you're right.  He's UFA, you don't do this deal without a sign/trade.  

9 minutes ago, brelic said:

Apparently Subban is available. 

Subban's great, but I'm not sure he gives us something we don't already have. We have a glut of potential Subbans right now. Sure, they may not be quite as good as he's been over the years, but they may not be so far off either. Adding him does nothing to solve our Seattle issue imo.

If we're moving Ghost, I'd rather see a forward coming back personally. We need an improvement in our top six, but we're currently stuck with mostly having to keep who we have there due to lack of other options. We can talk about prospects all we want, but they remain largely unknown quantities who may very well top out as bottom six dudes. Meanwhile, we have dead weight eating up minutes on our top two lines.

I would love to see Giroux have a true sniper to work with for the first time since Hartsy was shipped out of town, and I don't think that's too much to ask. Voracek and JVR (or Couturier for that matter) are not that, so let's find one. As much as I dislike him, I really wouldn't mind some sort of Evander Kane clone right about now. We have playmakers. We need someone who can just burn up and finish the job.

2 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Subban's great, but I'm not sure he gives us something we don't already have. We have a glut of potential Subbans right now. Sure, they may not be quite as good as he's been over the years, but they may not be so far off either. Adding him does nothing to solve our Seattle issue imo.

If we're moving Ghost, I'd rather see a forward coming back personally. We need an improvement in our top six, but we're currently stuck with mostly having to keep who we have there due to lack of other options. We can talk about prospects all we want, but they remain largely unknown quantities who may very well top out as bottom six dudes. Meanwhile, we have dead weight eating up minutes on our top two lines.

I would love to see Giroux have a true sniper for the first time since Hartsy was shipped out of town, and I don't think that's too much to ask. Voracek and JVR are not that, so let's find one.

I'm actually not worried about our top 6 right now who is the dead weight on the top 6 in your opinion?

It's 7-9 where I feel this team can most improve and if that happens by improving your top 6 and someone up there dropping down, thus killing two birds with one "Stone" (get it?), then that's groovy too. 

JVR's been a point per game player for the last month (which conveniently coincides with the turn around and Carter Hart's emergence, coincidence?  I think not.  

A true sniper is nice, but there just aren't a lot of true snipers available in this league.  Stone and Panarin are your best bets as UFAs (unless I'm not thinking of someone) and I'd love either or both of them, but I'm not sure they'd be considered true snipers.    I also wouldn't consider Hartnell a sniper on his best days.  

But you do make good points about the Defense (though I'm not sure anyone on the defense is considered a potential Subban just yet).  

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

I have no insider information, but I'm willing to bet something is definitely brewing on the trade front.  Definitely for Simmonds and probably for another D man, most likely Ghost, Mac or Gudas.   Lord I hope it's Mac, but it's most likely Ghost simply because of Fletcher's "only G is safe" comments and because Ghost would likely fetch the most. 

It's feasible that he's got a deal or Morin or Hagg on the table, but either of those would likely fetch far less in return. 

I really believe Ghost is the most likely degenseman to be traded . He is one dimensional and his offensive output will eventually be replaced by Sanheim and Meyers and Provy when he returns to form. The biggest need we have on defense is the actual  ability to play defense. This season Gudas and Haag have  been the best defensive guys we have and also the best hitters and shot blockers. I dont see how trading those guys helps. Ghost will also get us the best return .

12 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I think he definitely gives us something we don't have. A true #1 defenseman *right now*. Norris trophy winner and top 3 finalist two other times, including last season.

He is actual versus our potential.

I wouldn't trade Ghost for just anyone, but Subban is one of the guys I would.

17 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I would love to see Giroux have a true sniper to work with for the first time since Hartsy was shipped out of town, and I don't think that's too much to ask. Voracek and JVR (or Couturier for that matter) are not that, so let's find one. As much as I dislike him, I really wouldn't mind some sort of Evander Kane clone right about now. We have playmakers. We need someone who can just burn up and finish the job.

Maybe that's something they address in the offseason by moving Jake. 

What "dead weight" do we have in our top 6? Lindblom is about the only one that would qualify, I'd think. 

You could use Ghost for Stone in a sign and trade (assuming you can largely work out an extension before the trade). I'd be fine with that too. 

If Tarasenko could be had, that would be great. But I think that's an offseason move requiring multiple pieces.

(As a completely unrelated side note, Weise has played exactly 152 games with each of the Flyers, Canucks, and Habs).

Yeah, for sure something is up - at least with respect to Simmonds.  My comment was more about whether something was brewing short term (i.e., this week).

Before this streak, I figured they would shop Ghost.  But now I am not so sure.

55 minutes ago, brelic said:

What "dead weight" do we have in our top 6? Lindblom is about the only one that would qualify, I'd think. 

4 goals 2 assist for 6 points in the last 9 games is far from dead weight.

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Inquiring minds want to know .... any chance that Ghost could be converted to a forward?  Just curious and trying to think outside the box here.  Not sure if it is even a remote possibility.  Thoughts?

Can't tell you how many times I've mentioned this.  

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure, but if you were to pick one in the top 6, Lindblom is the only one that might fit the criteria.

6 points in 9 games is nice, but it's also a streak, which he's done before and disappeared. I know - Hakstol, usage, etc - so we'll see if he can keep it up.

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Right?   That line has been one of the hottest in the NHL over the course of the points streak and Lindblom hasn't just been a hanger on, he's been pretty key in making a lot of things happen.  

Just now, brelic said:

Sure, but if you were to pick one in the top 6, Lindblom is the only one that might fit the criteria.

6 points in 9 games is nice, but it's also a streak, which he's done before and disappeared. I know - Hakstol, usage, etc - so we'll see if he can keep it up.

He disappeared under Hakstol who would stick him in the bottom six in favor of Raffl, Weise or Lehtera rather Arbitrarily.  

Lindblom was pretty hot coming over to North America and the fact that he's paying dividends now is in more in keeping with what was expected.  

I honestly have to look at this team in terms of Before Hakstol and After Hakstol.  There's truly no telling how much Hakstol screwed up this team with his flawed system, terrible usage and odd combinations.   

People have been talking like this is an untalented team all year and I've been preaching that while I don't agree, we truly need to fire the coach in order to get a clue.

Now that Gordon's back there and made some changes (mostly it seems to be the 1-3-1 over the 1-2-2) and putting lines together that actually kinda make sense from a skillset standpoint, I think we're actually just starting to see what the talent level actually is.  

31 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Can't tell you how many times I've mentioned this.  

The thing is, I just don't see the point.  

Using his natural skillset, Ghost had the ability to completely change the complexion of a game on a dime.  He was a wild card and no one knew how to defend him.  When they thought they did, he'd do something else.

Hakstol had NO IDEA what to do with that or how to compensate for it if it drew Ghost out of position.  As a result, Ghost doesn't really skate anymore.  He takes shots from the point or distributes from there.  Sometimes it works, but none of it is what made Ghost Ghost.

IMHO, I want the rookie Ghost back.  The guy who Hakstol hated and who Hakstol benched for simply having a skill set Hak didn't understand and couldn't deal with.  

I don't know if Ghost can get all that back after repressing all that stuff for three years.  Did Hakstol Ruin Ghost or can Ghost become Ghost again?

If he can't or if Gordon or another coach isn't interested in having him be THAT GUY, then I'd rather see him traded.  If they're going to go with Boring good over game changing exciting good, and that works, I'd rather have the chance at seeing Ghost do his actual Ghost thing somewhere in this league rather than not at all ever again.  It was a thing of beauty.  

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

I really believe Ghost is the most likely degenseman to be traded . He is one dimensional and his offensive output will eventually be replaced by Sanheim and Meyers and Provy when he returns to form. The biggest need we have on defense is the actual  ability to play defense. This season Gudas and Haag have  been the best defensive guys we have and also the best hitters and shot blockers. I dont see how trading those guys helps. Ghost will also get us the best return .

Sadly, I think I agree with you.  He's on a great contract and could push any team over the top.  The question is whether  a late first round pick (or even two) would end up helping things more than Ghost.   Sanheim and Myers aren't really like Ghost.  Neither is Provo.  Ghost isn't as good defensively as they are and frankly, he's been playing down to their level offensively (and none of them are slouches either) because that's what's been asked of him.  

1 hour ago, vis said:

Yeah, for sure something is up - at least with respect to Simmonds.  My comment was more about whether something was brewing short term (i.e., this week).

Before this streak, I figured they would shop Ghost.  But now I am not so sure.

Sadly, Ghost actually hasn't been doing very well during the streak. I love the player, he's just not playing like himself these past two years (as noted elsewhere, I completely blame Hakstol) and it makes me very sad.  

51 minutes ago, brelic said:

I'm saying it has to do with Hak which didn't help though but you're talking about a 22 kid who in his total 77 games of NHL he hasn't been stuck anywhere with anyone (solid linemates) for very look too.

So right now I don't know what Oskar is.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

As it is, Ghost has spent two years trying to be a much crappier player and fight against his instincts.  Now here we all are wondering wtf happened.  

Ghost did have a career high in points last season with 65 (13/52). Evenly split between the power play and even strength (6/7, 26/26). Also his highest points-per-game (.833). Also his highest time on ice.

What he's not, is not shooting 11.2% as he did in his semi-miraculous first season (.71 ppg). And as the #1 skater on the team in average power play time he's not putting up points - nine power play points in 52 games (.17 ppg). After putting up 33 the year before (.42).

It's unbelievable to me that he last scored a power play goal a few weeks before Hextall was fired. And he has all of two power play assists since.

I get that he's on pace for where he was two years ago, but he followed that year with his best (statistically) yet. Is he a sine wave player with good year/bad year/good year/bad year?

On the one hand, if he sells out the miracle come back this season for the future (picks and prospects he'd get at the deadline) how is that any different than what Hextall would have done and how do Scott and Homer reconcile this approach with the supposed philosophical reasons the fired Hextall?

I'm betting it's "nyah nyah nyah - we can't hear you".

This team was a Hartbeat away from ignominy, and I have to believe that if Carter Hart hadn't come in like a house afire, assets would have already been moved.

Also, jettisonning in the dead weight of Weise and Lehterable and handing over the reins to the Next Generation has made the existing core more effective and given them a jolt of energy when it was most needed.

Those (Hart, Weise, Letherable) were not IMO moves Hextall would have made.

image.png

5 hours ago, brelic said:

6 points in 9 games is nice, but it's also a streak, which he's done before and disappeared.

I stand corrected you're right I'm wrong.

Dude has had countless chances tonight and can't buy a goal.

Archived