Flyers call up Phil Myers...what's next...

hf101

Just now, brelic said:

That's a lot of words to say "Trade is coming. Quit askin' questions or you'll ruin it!"

I feel for a strange reason after seeing his name mentioned a lot if someone is shipped out it is going to shock us so to speak and it be Gudas.  A trade like Ghost would be done in the offseason i think.

I have seen a lot of reports of teams kicking the tires on Gudas now for a week or so. The problem with that is i think if you move that guy it will hurt the chance of them making the playoffs a lot. Not that i still think they can make it because i don't feel that way anymore.

And sure i hope i am wrong...i would love for them to prove i am...i like crow.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I feel for a strange reason after seeing his name mentioned a lot if someone is shipped out it is going to shock us so to speak and it be Gudas.  A trade like Ghost would be done in the offseason i think.

I have seen a lot of reports of teams kicking the tires on Gudas now for a week or so. The problem with that is i think if you move that guy it will hurt the chance of them making the playoffs a lot. Not that i still think they can make it because i don't feel that way anymore.

And sure i hope i am wrong...i would love for them to prove i am...i like crow.

It could be Gudas. He's the guy I'd be least interested in trading among our options. We don't have another physical guy who can intimidate and make opponents pay the price. He's like a freaking tree trunk.

Yes, we have Morin, but I need to see him play actual hockey first before we can have any realistic expectation that he can be that guy. He's a FULL season away from even being an effective, comfortable blueliner in the NHL, I'd say. Same with Myers, though that doesn't seem to be his playing style.

Bottom line, if you can get a great return on Gudas, you make the trade. I just think that once again weakens our defense and puts us further back in development terms (because we're going younger and more inexperienced).

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

Bottom line, if you can get a great return on Gudas, you make the trade.

If you think about it a broke down Kimmo brought 2 2nd round picks.

Coburn brought a 1st and a 3rd round pick.

So i think you can get at least what Coburn brought back and i would even move him for 2 2nd round picks.

But if you do that it is pretty much throwing in the towel on this season.

And yeah they do not have a physical guy besides Morin who will be playing his first game tonight for the Phantoms.

But he want be in full form till next season i think.

On 2/11/2019 at 12:58 PM, brelic said:

Ghost and Simmonds for Subban?

Ghost for Stone?

That's a horrifically gross over-payment, IMO.   LOL  Having said that, I'm not even sure Nashville does that heading into their playoff run.

On 2/13/2019 at 7:01 PM, radoran said:

They have a lot of nice parts and Andrew MacDonald but they haven't paired out well, for whatever reason.

Such an underrated sentence.

I see what you did there!

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just to piggy back on what you said i agree. It seems around here guys pile on poor little Ghost while giving Sanheim a free ride on his many issues when it comes to playing actual defense (me not being one...i try to point it out the kid has a lot to be desired when it comes to defense).

I've been trying to lay off this, but how many years has Ghost been in the NHL ?

How many for Sanheim ?

Free ride ? how about understanding growth, and expecting a veteran to play like a veteran ?

Sanheim is 22, he will get his man strength and be better than Ghost defensively, even if he does zero work to improve his play.

When 6 is in the league 4 + years...he'll be held to a higher standard as well. 

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

I've been trying to lay off this, but how many years has Ghost been in the NHL ?

I guess you missed the part where i talked about their year where they are both 23 in the whole post huh???

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I guess you missed the part where i talked about their year where they are both 23 in the whole post huh???

Wait.  You expect us to read your posts?   Man, the requirements on this site are just getting way too cumbersome.

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

actually I did. 

Doesn't matter that much though my premise remains and it remains a good counter argument.

They are different players, Ghost was always "offensive savant" Sanheim was always great two way potential.  This is Sanheim's first go in the NHL. There will be growing pains.   These are humans, things(development/maturity) don't happen linearly nor do they never make mistakes while playing against the other best players in the world. 

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Doesn't matter that much though my premise remains and it remains a good counter argument.

Well let's start by saying then we disagree.

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

They are different players, Ghost was always "offensive savant" Sanheim was always great two way potential. 

Are they now?? I don't think Sanheim's hit and miss weak defense is that much better than Ghost's.

As i stated it seems Travis gets over looked in that area...or folks misremember or whatever.

And i was over looking the fact that Sanheim did also play last year in the comparisons 49 games in fact.

And has over 106 games of NHL experience at this point...and with that many games i really don't see that much improvement in his defensive game. Which leads me back to my original points his offense is nowhere even close to Ghost.

So if you want to call him a "two way defensemen' by all means go ahead but their two way game isn't that much better than Shayne's.

And once again if you don't want to agree with me then fine but i have watched about 90% of the games this year and even i am not seeing much growth in Travis's game in his own end just like he was liable for two goals against in Penguins game and we would have never heard the end of it if it had of been Ghost.

Travis i guess is held to different standards. It is why i singled out both of their years in which they turned 23 in.

Just to piggy back on what you said i agree. It seems around here guys pile on poor little Ghost while giving Sanheim a free ride on his many issues when it comes to playing actual defense (me not being one...i try to point it out the kid has a lot to be desired when it comes to defense).

So when you look at both of them needing to work on their defense it's clear right now that Sanheim's game to me that Travis can't hold a candle to what Ghost can bring to the game. Now will Ghost ever get back there???

Just my thoughts on some of this Travis has about 6 inches on Shayne but by their play you can't tell Sanheim is very weak and Ghost all though not a smart move sometimes he isn't scared to mix it up and get physical when he has too....i have yet to see that evolve in Sanheim's game.

And Travis will never be the physical D man type but there are times when he needs to use his huge frame better to box guys out some more. I have hope that will come around.

For whatever it's worth, I actually disagree with almost all of this.

Sanheim's defense is better, to my eye, than Ghost in I think every aspect.  And this is his first full season in the league--and this includes last year and the first half of this year when he was horribly misused by Crackstol.  As for his offense, he's just a different type of player, but he has a lot of offensive skill in him.  His stickhandling is above average, is an above average skater, jumps up on the play in the offensive zone smartly, and has a sneaky good shot.  As a matter of a fact, if it were up to me, he'd be one of my three, or at least my fourth on the shootout.     But over the season so far, the two have fairly equivalent ice time (Sanheim more than Ghost recently, but the opposite earlier).    Ghost has 4 more points than Sanheim in his fourth year but is a -17 to Sanheim's -2.      And while he has 4 more points than Sanheim, half of his points have come on the power play, which Sanheim doesn't really get much or any time on.

None of this is to say "Ghost sucks!  Get rid of him!"   But I'll positively compare Sanheim to Ghost all day every day.   If both and Provorov are all still here for the expansion draft and I can only protect two, it's Provorov and Sanheim for me without blinking.   But for 20 minutes/game (he's playing more now) and only -2 in front of horrible goaltending through late December and horrible coaching and team play, I think the criticism of his "many issues" playing defense is highly exaggerated.    He's, of course, still making some young kid mistakes, but he's actually playing incredibly well for a 22 year old defenseman playing in his first full season.   Vastly better than Ghost.

But that's this year.

Body of work, 4 1/2 years in, Ghost's defensive game really hasn't improved.  He's not learning there.  I don't see the "not scared to mix it up" thing.  Yeah, he'll get into a slap exchange now and again, but he doesn't position well -- or do anything on defense particularly well.  He skates it up well.   In the offensive end, his shot selection is not intelligent and when he does get an open look, he's firing high and wide rather than keeping it low and near the net so JVR or Simmonds or someone can do something, anything with it.   I think this part is a coaching/design flaw rather than necessarily Ghost, but it's reflective:   way too often they're having Voracek carry the puck up to take the zone after Ghost has passed back to him rather than the other way around.  I suspect it's largely due to not wanting Ghost (and his defense) be the last back, but given that it's VORACEK, that makes that argument weak.   It's just telling to me that someone who has been a fluid skater and usually good at the forward pass isn't trusted to carry the puck on the power play.

Again, and most importantly, this is not my advocating to move Ghost.  It's just me resisting Sanheim being negatively compared to him because I think he's a much more complete player.   As to moving Ghost, I've said before and will again:  for who?  for what?  I think probably at this point our most pressing need is a right winger if Simmonds is being moved.   If Simmonds is moved for a younger prospect or NHL right winger, maybe that takes care of itself.  Otherwise, with Myers coming (as well as a number of others), maybe I use Ghost for that.   I hate the idea of trading a potentially 65-70 point defensman for similar production from a right winger.   But maybe if said right winger is an even 0 +/-, I'm coming out a net 17 goals ahead.

.all Ron had to do was fire Hak and he would still be employed i think...

This is the thing.  This is pretty much the only thing as far as I'm concerned. 

Ron's ego got the best of him...like with not wanting to cut bait with Weise and Weal if he waived them then i would be like admitting he made a mistake and Ron does not like admitting he makes mistakes.

I don't think ego had anything to do with it.  At least not Hextall's.  I actually think Hextall's guilty of anything emotional, it was probably too much sympathy.  But if you think about every other move he made the whole time he was GM, they were all pretty cool and calculating.  

I genuinely think he didn't waive Lehtera and Weal because... why?  They'd be gone at the end of the year and then they're not his problem.  

There are reasons beyond ego not to waive them as well.  Some having to do with the organization's reputation among players and others having to do with his own reputation among players.  It's easy to think of that as an ego thing, but if you're a GM, half of your job is your reputation with Agents and players.  That's why Homer had to fire himself.  If he waived Weise or Weal, those were guys he signed... is it more likely he didn't want to waive them because A) He couldn't admit he was wrong?  B) He didn't want future players he'd be trying to sign to have their agents whispering in their ear, "this is the guy who waives the players he signs." 

Again, basing this on the deals we saw from him and the situation that he knows full well is what got him hired, I'm guessing it was a lot more B) than A). 

That was because in year 4 once again we weren't seeing any progress....

Maybe you weren't.  And the record clearly did not.  But I saw progress everywhere I looked except with the coach.  That's why this year was SOOOOO incredibly frustrating.  They were better.  Everyone on the team was better (except as I've iterated in Ghost and the goalies-but even they I will blame on the coach) and literally looked "ready to go".  But they just couldn't win because their coach had them in the wrong spots and they kept losing in the same mind blowing ways.  

IT WAS SO CLEAR THAT IT WAS THE COACH THAT I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF.  

I'm still convinced that Hextall mouthed off to Scott.  I'm still convinced that's what this is all about.  

When it first happened I assumed that the behind the scenes dust up had to do with Homer telling Hextall to fire Hakstol and Hextall saying, "You'll have to fire me first".  

But we know from everyone's statements on the matter and the fact that it took like another month to finally fire Hak AND the fact that they had absolutely no idea who they wanted to replace Hextall (or Hakstol) that the whole thing was an unplanned knee jerk reaction.  Holmgren was notorious for these when he was GM.   I remain convinced that Scott yelled at Hextall about the optics of tickets on stub hub for $9.00 and Hextall told him to go screw himself because he didn't know anything about hockey.  

The way this organization has worked in the past, GMs get a leash.  If management didn't like something about the team, it pressured the GM and chatted him up about it until he did something.  It was that way with  Farwell who probably wouldn't have engineered the LIndros trade otherwise, it was that way with Clarke and Homer (who had Snider yapping in their ears) and frankly it was that way with Hextall who was at Snider's house a lot and chatting up the progress of the team right up until Mr. Snider died.  

And as we said earlier all this crap story about him being a meanie in the front office would have been kept under wraps if he was the GM but since they cut bait they put the story out to make them look like the good guys.

If him being a meanie was trying to make sure the players ate right and not letting former players hang out in the locker room, then I really don't know what to tell anyone.  Personally, I'd have thought those were both given for years.  But I do agree that it was probably all drummed up to cover for the bad PR around the league (not with fans, but with organizations, players and agents)  Homer and Scott were probably catching wind of when they started the hiring process.  

Imagine... man who entire league refused to deal with as GM is promoted to President and later fires his GM out of the blue without warning him.  WHO WANTS TO GO WORK FOR HIM?  The best of the best only, I'm sure.  I can't imagine why Yzerman isn't the GM of the Flyers now.  Just can't imagine.  

Anyways with hindsight and Weise and Weal gone along with Hart between the pipes i am glad it went down.

I just don't agree with that.  The reality is Hart should never have been called up any sooner than he was.  He just wasn't ready.  The moment he was called up was even a close call, but he answered the bell and I hope to god he stays that way because frankly, he hasn't looked as strong his last two outings.  Stolie looked markedly worse against the Wild as well.  Maybe it was the late flight and all that, but he was just off.  Not even from where he was the previous two games, but where he normally is.

Hart has been fantastic and looks very good going forward if he can keep his head about him, but everyone's kind of overlooking the fact that Hart came up at exactly the same time they finally pulled the trigger on Hakstol.  Add to that the fact that Hart's numbers were not great right away, and they didn't start winning consistently for a while after he became the number 1.  People say he got his legs under him and that's probably true to some extent, but what's also true is that Hart's numbers exploded and the wins started gushing when Gordon shifted them to the 1-3-1.  

That doesn't mean I don't think Hart's great, of course I do.  I'm not blind.  But I does mean that I think it's just more painfully obvious evidence to tell us just how bad Hakstol was for this team.  

As far as Weise, Weal and Lehtera go, I'm a broken record but trading Weise and Weal did nothing for the Flyers and they probably would have been waived or traded now anyway. 

Trading them has yielded no consequence because Gordon wasn't playing them, the guys they got in the trades aren't playing (likely never will)  and the flyers are not yet really playing any Phantoms they brought up as a result of the empty roster spots.

They probably would have been moved somehow anyway because one huge reason Fletcher is making these roster only moves (and that's all they are) is because Morin, Elliott and Knight are all coming off LTIR.  It's very likely at least two of Bailey, Myers and Vorobyev will be headed back to LHV soon depending on what deadline trades Fletcher makes.  

All that was going to be happening right around now whether the GM is Hextall or Fletcher. 

Fletcher is being extremely safe in his moves, but some form of these are necessary moves. 

But Hextall had to give a nice parting gift with JVR's contract before he left.

JVR is doing exactly what JVR does.  2/3-3/4 of a pt per game.  

His contract is precisely NHL players who put up those numbers get.  

There's literally nothing wrong with his contract.  

He will likely not be protected from the Seattle draft and they may claim him, but JVR isn't doing anything wrong and there's nothing wrong with his contract.  It's not like MacDonald's it's not like Bryzgalov's and it's not like Voracek's (the latter of which btw, I have absolutely no problem with either).

With any luck at all Fletcher will be doling out at least two more that are bigger for longer and you'll be complaining about those guys' contracts and forget all about JVR's completely unremarkably contract.  

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't think Sanheim's hit and miss weak defense is that much better than Ghost's.

Wow.  Sorry, but i don't think it's even close.

And has over 106 games of NHL experience at this point...and with that many games i really don't see that much improvement in his defensive game.

I do.  And while facing much better opposition since now he's been moved to the top unit and playing a lot more minutes.   He's vastly improved.

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And i was over looking the fact that Sanheim did also play last year in the comparisons 49 games in fact.

And has over 106 games of NHL experience at this point...and with that many games i really don't see that much improvement in his defensive game. Which leads me back to my original points his offense is nowhere even close to Ghost.

that is an amazing stat line 49 games, with an average of 15:00 + TOI, I don't seem to remember him on the ice very much last year. I wonder if that was because I wasn't able to watch the first period due to being involved with my daughter's sport ?

To my recollection he didn't play very much at all, we were all complaining about it here too. but that's a fair amount of games and signifiant ice time. Still #6 is only 100 games into his career, I don't mind where he is.  He's still a baby in my mind so I can tolerate the occasional f up.

Also for the record i'm not all in on trading Ghost unless there's stupid overpayment coming back...He's exactly the type of player the Flyers "give up on" and  then goes on to win cups and Norris trophies...don't want to see that. 

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

IT WAS SO CLEAR THAT IT WAS THE COACH THAT I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF. 

Was it makes me kind of wonder if Hak had Hart at his disposal....yet i wouldn't change things because would have. I'm good with them both being gone....and no point in continuing to speak about us feeling differently on Hextall's ego...you said and didn't have one and i clearly think it was his biggest issue and why he didn't want anyone's advice in his affairs.

12 hours ago, radoran said:

And, again, even as probably the board's biggest non-Finn Finnophile, i would have gotten rid of him.

I would have too.  I'd likely have done it right away actually.  But looking at his track record and grasp of spacing out contracts and the cap, I think in Hextall's mind, he was likely looking to this free agency period this summer and the likes of Panarin, Stone and Tyler Myers all hitting the UFA market and likely didn't worry about a useless player taking up roster space until then.  

I'm guessing if Tavares had shown any interest in Philly, Hextall would have bought them out, traded and kept a portion or the contracts, whatever he could to make the cap work.  But Tavares just wasn't in the cards and Hextall got the next biggest name and didn't need to make room.  

He tried out Vorobyev and it didn't take.  Patty, TK, Provo and Lindblom all made the team.  Vecchione did not have a good camp and no one takes Varone seriously anyway, so there was no internal pressure to jettison any of Weise, Lehtera or Weal before the season started.  

EXCEPT that Hakstol kept friggin playing them and kept playing them in the wrong situations.  Everyone wants Hextall to have gotten rid of the dead weight, but frankly, if I'm Hextall looking at that situation (and everything else that Hakstol wasn't doing well at ALL) and I've got three NHL players that aren't producing... am I going to waive them all and just waste 8 million in cap space or am I going to replace the moron coach who keeps not only playing his worst players on the roster, but inserting them into key situations every game?  

It's logically more expedient to replace the coach at that point.  If it had been working and the team was winning, you'd have no reason... but they weren't.  Every team carries players that aren't very good.  

Teams that run close to the cap floor like Phoenix doing it with AHL talent that costs nothing. Teams running close to the cap ceiling (like the Kings e.g.) do it with old overpaid past their prime talent.  

The difference is those teams don't play their worst players unless they have to.  Except for the kings under Rob Blake who apparently go out and get MORE overpriced old players... but at least his last minute AHL replacement coach (like Gordon) doesn't put Kovalchuck on the PK or on a Dzone draw inside the final 90 seconds of a tied or one goal game. 

12 hours ago, radoran said:

We'll be reaping the benefits of Hextall replacing Holmgren for years.

Unless Holmgren screws it up.

And there it is.  And this is why I'm a broken record.  I said the day it happend, if Hextall got fired because of Hakstol, then so bit it.  Enough was enough.  But how Hextall turned around the Homerpocalypse was amazing and displayed incredible savvy.  

People complain about Weise, Lehtera and Weal when these guys were all on the roster when Hextall took over:

Jason Akeson

Steve Downiec

Hal Gillu

Nicklas Grossmann

Erik Gustafsson

Adam Hall

Cal Heeter

Vincent Lecavalier

Tye McGinn

Andrej Meszarosc

Kris Newbury

Matt Read

Zac Rinaldo

Jay Rosehill

Luke Schenn

Mark Streit

Chris VandeVelde

And they were all there because of Paul Holmgren being bat guano insanely bad at running a hockey team.

He was a mediocre player, a bad coach, a good GM for a season or so, and then an absolutely atrocious GM.  

I can only hope that Fletcher is a Homer/Scott whisperer who can placate their ignorance and insanity while making the actual appropriate moves and making those two morons who pay him think it was all their idea... because otherwise, they're going to either fire him or he's going to do exactly what they say, which would be even worse. 

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Was it makes me kind of wonder if Hak had Hart at his disposal....yet i wouldn't change things because would have. I'm good with them both being gone....and no point in continuing to speak about us feeling differently on Hextall's ego...you said and didn't have one and i clearly think it was his biggest issue and why he didn't want anyone's advice in his affairs.

See, I think Hak wanted Hart to stay in the minors as well as Hextall...and it was that stubbornness that got them both canned. Instead, we had to put up with a poop show in net until he got here. I have little sympathy for either the former GM or coach.

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

i clearly think it was his biggest issue and why he didn't want anyone's advice in his affairs.

Not sure what you're basing that opinion on.

Personally, I think he didn't want anyone's advice in his affairs because the poeple giving him that advice  had failed in such a monumental way that not only was the team screwed with a terrible roster and atrocious contracts that would keep them terrible for years to come, but no agents or other GMs in the league were even willing to talk about serious deals with them anymore.

If you were hired by a guy specifically because he had screwed up so badly, no one else would even talk to him, would you be apt to want to hear his opinions?

Is that ego or simple logic?

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

that is an amazing stat line 49 games, with an average of 15:00

It got beefed up when he got his second chance last year.

Look i don't expect him to ever be the banger Gudas is but he needs to learn to use his size advantage out there better along with his good mobility.

I just want the kid to get stronger which he could still do but i want him to learn to use his size like Coburn did who also wasn't the banger Gudas was yet could use his size to lean on guys and separate them from the puck. I think he could be there by this time next year.

I am not clamouring to trade the kid. I would just like to see more growth from him especially with him on the top pair and Ivan needing some help so he doesn't have to do everything it seems.

And he in time could get to where Coburn is time will tell but i can see his game getting to where his was.

He has averaged 18 minutes a night but that is skewed since he has been promoted to the top pair with Ivan he is closer to averaging 24 minutes a night now. I want to see him start to make smarter quicker decisions with the puck and show some more urgency in his game especially when the puck in in their end. Some of this is frustration on my part.

I guess we'll see where he is at by the end of the season. Without question he must get stronger for next year if he wants to hold onto that top pair spot.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

This is why I like you.

There's probably other reasons, too, but this one is currently relevant.

Sure we don't have to always see eye to eye sometimes i see things differently than you and you different than i but one thing we agree on is having the same end goal. A Cup....how we get there can be disputed till the cows come home.

I respect you guys opinions and it's ok that we disagree.

I also expect maybe Ghost game to rebound by next year once they can hit the offseason reset button. A new staff maybe can get that out of him.

9 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

See, I think Hak wanted Hart to stay in the minors as well as Hextall.

Sure to start the season maybe but once Hextall got canned and his neck was in the noose i bet he would have been more open to it.

I can't prove it but i can expect he would have wanted the kid with the best pedigree in goal especially after he saw he was the best goalie they had in the preseason like it or not.

But Hart playing might have kept him around i'm cool with how it went down now and glad he is gone wouldn't want to change that.

9 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Not sure what you're basing that opinion on.

Reports on what supposedly happened.

We already knew he was a fiery play i don't think that changed him much since he was in the office now. Dude had a ego....it's ok. Many do.

11 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Personally, I think he didn't want anyone's advice in his affairs because the poeple giving him that advice  had failed in such a monumental way that not only was the team screwed with a terrible roster and atrocious contracts that would keep them terrible for years to come, but no agents or other GMs in the league were even willing to talk about serious deals with them anymore.

Sure that was part of it too. However Homer did get them to their last Cup in 2010.

12 minutes ago, King Knut said:

If you were hired by a guy specifically because he had screwed up so badly, no one else would even talk to him, would you be apt to want to hear his opinions?

Sure it's not like Homer never did any good. Just because you listen doesn't mean you have to listen to it all.

I don't think he wanted any advice....was only wanting to do it his way...and he did some of it well but there is a lot he could have done better....and that was when it come to personnel that was already in the NHL.

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

It's logically more expedient to replace the coach at that point. 

Like you, I would have replaced Hakstol after last season...

I liked Hextall's general approach, but the devil is certainly in the details.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

However Homer did get them to their last Cup Final in 2010.

FIFY

I could comment on the whole nature of how that happened, but....

image.png

👺

Archived