Flyers call up Phil Myers...what's next...

hf101

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is a defenseman's job?

To prevent shots/goals.

Fewest unblocked shots against/60 5v5 minutes:

MacDonald

Gudas

Gostisbehere

Sanheim

Fewest Goals:

Gudas

Hagg

Ghost

Sanheim

Fewest overall shot attempts against/60:

Sanheim

Gudas

Ghost

Fewest high danger (slot) shots against:

Gudas

Sanheim

Provorov

Ghost

Taken by themselves, any of these measures can be explained away by other factors, but three guys (Gudas, Ghost, and Sanheim) consistently show up in the top half of the Flyers' defenders. So by the best defensive metrics we have available, Sanheim and Ghost are actually among the best on the team when it comes to limiting the opposition's chances to score. The problem is that the perception of "playing defense" hasn't caught up to the realities of what it looks like in a league predicated on speed and transition. Derian Hatcher and Scott Stevens would struggle today because the way they played, crosschecking and tying up guys in front of the net, is pretty much illegal nowadays. You play defense by breaking up rushes at the blue line, getting the puck away from the other guy or winning races to loose pucks, and moving the puck up ice, not knocking guys over in the defensive zone. On a somewhat separate note, one of the main reasons I've been adamantly against moving Gudas is because he is actually quite good at both.

11 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Taken by themselves, any of these measures can be explained away by other factors, but three guys (Gudas, Ghost, and Sanheim) consistently show up in the top half of the Flyers' defenders.

You can thank the nurturing care and training Andrew Macdonald has show them...without him these kids wouldn't be any good.

He has spent countless hours showing these kids the right way to to sharpen their craft!!!

Here here Farmer!!!!

Raise a glass tonight for the Unsung hero!!!!!!! :beer:

On 2/15/2019 at 10:57 AM, ruxpin said:

None of this is to say "Ghost sucks!  Get rid of him!"   But I'll positively compare Sanheim to Ghost all day every day.   If both and Provorov are all still here for the expansion draft and I can only protect two, it's Provorov and Sanheim for me without blinking.   

No doubt about it.

I like Meyer's game. 

He is aggressive everywhere on the ice. 

Guy really looks good to me every time I see him play...love that he ragged Hornqvist a couple of times, even when 72 made a nice move 61 recovered quickly.  

He looks to affect the game. I dig that. 

Plus, he's big and plays like it. 

Love his confidence. 

Archived