Game 56: Penguins at Flyers; 2/11/19 @ 7

Howie58

Just now, FD19372 said:

Time to sell.  rade Simmonds, and let's see what we what the market is for Van Reimsdyk, Voracek and Ghost.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Time to sell, that's probably what Clarkie said to his protege in the Box after his last fistfull of corn.   All those guys? All that salary? That's alotta work for 1 GM in the next week.  I thought V brought the Jam tonight, JvR the jelly.  Interested to see the bounceback tomorrow in the wild after a tuff loss.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malkin to get a DOPS hearing tomorrow for the high stick. What do you think he’ll get? I’m guessing absolution. They’ll the that 5min major off the record. Maybe give it to Raffl instead and suspend him for the next game. 

7 hours ago, 926 said:

Would not be surprised if an 'on hold' Fletch deal gets green lighted after tonight

See i don't think that even matters....they can't afford any more losses especially against teams that are in front of them. 

It is just too many points to make up.

The Rangers are also right behind the Flyers by a point. I'm afraid losing this game has doomed them.

They will finish 10th now.

Hey i'm happy to wrong but the way they are playing 50 something shots (even setting a franchise record with 28 in the 2nd period) and only one goal to show for it isn't going to win games....and now back to struggling on the PP.

Sometimes the truth hurts. One thing for sure is they need to do something about the first PP it is terrible.

Right now Travis Sanheim is the weak link on the blueline....his play his down right terrible. Maybe they should sit him and play Myers.

One thing is for sure it is time for Fletch to show Simmer the door all he brings now to the team is scrums after the whistle he has become useless.

And if Oskar could actually hit the net they win last nights game he must have missed out on 4 easy goals last night from my memory.

I would be ok with a 4th line of Raffl Vorobyev and Bailey. Varone is meh a lot of times.

7 hours ago, 926 said:

Am targeting 9 points in games 30-25 before any trades, still could get there with next 2 Ws, let's see how they bounceback tomorrow,  they may be gassed though...

They went from maybe being 4 points out the playoff spot to now 8 points away.

One thing that would help a lot...

NYI beats Buffalo 

Caps beat CBJ

OTT beat CAR

WPG beat NYR

If they get that all regulation losses then yeah...the loss to the Pens won't hurt as bad...but they can't get that lucky and they have to stop relying on other teams to help them.

They need to take control over their destiny.

They have fought this hard to get this far they can't stop now. But they have to prove it to me now....i think they blew a huge chance...because it ain't just about catching the teams in front of them for the playoff spot they have to actually HOLD ONTO IT if they ever get there!!!

4 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

What do you think he’ll get?

A fine. It's the Penguins....they are in a playoff fight if it was a utility forward he might would be suspended but not the start.

Just like he was supposed to be automatically be suspended in the finals for instigating a fight in the last minutes vs the Wings and got nothing when they won the Cup.

They didn't pay for those quick whistles for nothing.

Welp, back to reality.

I can't really feel too bad about that loss though, a lot of the first period and the entire second period looked like the recent Pens /Flyers but in reverse.  After that first lucky bounce goal by Crosby one could see where the hockey gods were leaning- and you make your own luck right ?

I don't remember seeing the Flyers work the Pens that hard in a long long time.  The Pens will get smoked in their next game. The Flyers beat them; to pucks, along the boards, they hit them with bomb shots... those guys were lucky to get that performance from Murray and just a so-so  to sub par performance from Hart.  Every where but the scoreboard if that were a playoff series game I would like the Flyers chances.

If the boys play like that the rest of the year and going forward, I will be entertained. 

I didn't see the third period, maybe things evened out  a little ? 

I guess Malkin was back to his douchebag self too.  I'd be okay with most of the ******** from him if he'd ****** answer for it, but he won't, he'll swing his elbows and stick, give you a slewfoot along the boards - he'll punch you with his glove...too bad that talent comes with that crap. 

I think they played well.  Probably one of the best games I've seen from them all year regardless of the score.   If Hart doesn't lose track of the first goal and the ref doesn't blow the whistle on the Flyers goal it's a completely different game.   They didn't get the bounces but they outplayed the Pens.   

The next 3 games are Wild and Wings x2.   Without 6 points Fletch has to start selling.  

Then what happens in the next 10 games determines the season.   If they can put together another 8-9 wins in a row, they will continue to have a chance at the wild card spot.    Nothing less than 16 out of 20 points in the next 10 though.  

I think this is where the character of the team needs to come through if they want to stay together.

Yeah but they turned the puck over to much and didn't capitalize on their chances like Oskar 4 or 5 times and then Sanheim all alone between the dots on Murray CAN'T EVEN GET IT ON NET!

That was just down right embarrassing.

They will not make the playoffs. 

10th seed.

28 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I think they played well.  Probably one of the best games I've seen from them all year regardless of the score.   If Hart doesn't lose track of the first goal and the ref doesn't blow the whistle on the Flyers goal it's a completely different game.   They didn't get the bounces but they outplayed the Pens.   

The next 3 games are Wild and Wings x2.   Without 6 points Fletch has to start selling.  

Then what happens in the next 10 games determines the season.   If they can put together another 8-9 wins in a row, they will continue to have a chance at the wild card spot.    Nothing less than 16 out of 20 points in the next 10 though.  

I think this is where the character of the team needs to come through if they want to stay together.

the first goal wasnt on hart, crosby was on other side, there was no defenders, they were all on the other side, the second goal was on him, the third goal was lack of effort on d, they just let jake skate right in front of him and out of the position.

i was telling u this winning streak was fools gold because of the way they were playing, you cant let hart do everything, you still need good defense around him and the pens was a test of what they are, they are not good enough and they need better coaching.

you are not going to beat quality playoffs teams playing like this, it's one and done if they make the playoffs.

One thing I don't like about Gordon is he switched the lines up too much during the game not letting the lines get any and build some chemistry.

And I should have said earlier I would sit Vorobyev in the press box and let him watch some he has moments where he just stops and does nothing.

Start a 4th of Raffl-Varone-Bailey and see what happens.

1 hour ago, Digityman said:

I agree with you that the next 10 games pretty much determine the season - though I'm not sure it's just about character. Getting another 8-9 wins out of 10 is pretty unsustainable hockey. They had a great streak - but don't forget it came IMMEDIATELY after an 0-6-2 stretch. They could very well get in the same funk now.

9-1-1 looks less impressive when it's combined with the previous streak - 9-7-3. That's losing more games than you win.

Bottom line, it sucks losing to the Pens. Like, seriously. I'm so done with that freaking team. And it sucks that, OF COURSE, they are the ones to deny Hart an NHL record. 

But even if the playoffs are really remote, there are some encouraging signs from the young core that Hextall has drafted and is finally in the NHL.  We have ELEVEN guys under 23 on this team (this includes Myers and Bailey), which is the most in the NHL. Our goalie is 20. Our 3C is 20. Our #1D just turned 22 a few weeks ago. His partner is also 22.

This is what growing pains look like.

35 minutes ago, brelic said:

This is what growing pains look like.

This is so true. I am trying to keep my emotions/anger in check but as you said of all teams to lose to.

And if they were the better team I would have accepted it better but that isn't the case I think.

Yet beat them the only place it matters.

I still say it's a 10th seed team. I have lost my optimism...I tried but I'm out of gas.

I hope they prove me wrong. I'm ok with crow.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is so true. I am trying to keep my emotions/anger in check but as you said of all teams to lose to.

And if they were the better team I would have accepted it better but that isn't the case I think.

Yet beat them the only place it matters.

I still say it's a 10th seed team. I have lost my optimism...I tried but I'm out of gas.

I hope they prove me wrong. I'm ok with crow.

Haha you take the good with the bad. Even great teams lose like 20-25 games a year and win others that they probably had no business winning. 

Pittsburgh is the better team now for sure. They have been for a decade. Crosby stepped up yesterday, and Giroux was nowhere to be found for the biggest game of the year.

I know it would make us thin down the middle, but G needs to move back to wing. He has been way less effective since playing center. His line is also defensively suspect. 

Lindblom/Coots/Jake

G/Patrick/TK

Raffl/Laughton/Simmer

?/Vorobyev/Bailey

On 2/11/2019 at 10:08 AM, OccamsRazor said:

You're Flyers are about to get even more scoring.

Phil Myers just got s callup.

Frost

Farabee

Rubtsov

Allison

Lacyznski

Ratcliffe 

Will be fighting hard to make the team next year.

So yeah not about to get any easier for your Sabres Flyers are just going to get deeper.

And the Sabres are just going to sit back and do nothing huh?  They are not going to use those picks from San Jose and St Louis they have coming for O'Reilly and Evander Kane?  Get real.  We are loaded  with picks and have cap room to boot.  The Sabres you can believe are going to get better.  They have more assets than the Flyers and have more talent on their young team right now.  

22 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Yeah? Get back to me in 2 years.

What is that supposed to mean?  You do not think Eichel is going to be great or already is?  He is. Hart is young and has promise but its a bit soon to give him a Vezina don't you think?  And in a couple of years the Sabres will be a Cup contender.  I assure you

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

And the Sabres are just going to sit back and do nothing huh?  They are not going to use those picks from San Jose and St Louis they have coming for O'Reilly and Evander Kane?  Get real.  We are loaded  with picks and have cap room to boot.  The Sabres you can believe are going to get better.  They have more assets than the Flyers and have more talent on their young team right now.  

Sabres are going to miss the playoffs just like the Flyers accept it bro.

Both teams are mediocre at best right now.

Take it like a man.

To be honest and know some here at going to like it since it seems you can't point when certain players don't play well but the 1st and 3rd goal could both be blamed on some weak ass defense.

And that guy is Travis Sanheim he got beat easily on both goals.

Now Ghost would be on blast for plays like that and he is only 5-11 185 and Sanheim is 6-4 210 and soft as baby sh it in his own end.

So yeah let's pump the brakes on Sanheim is a better defensive defenseman than Ghost talk right now.

As far as I am concerned they both have a lot to learn. 

I found this tweet funny...and typical...

...another question to I didn't understand with 4:50 left on the major pentaly last night after Jake scored so quick why did Gordon pull the goalie so quick?

Sure you need two goal but damn I would have waited till at least only 2 minutes left to do it....you never know because good lawd the Flyers have to be the weakest empty net defending team in the entire NHL.

And then can score to save their life when they get an empty net chance.

Tough game to watch.

Something that stuck out to me like a dick on a dog was the missed shots!!! My god! How many times did they have wide open looks and miss the net! Should have been 60 SOG!!...21 shots in the 2nd?!.....that's insane.

And can't believe no one is calling out Ghost....which is exactly what he has become. He shot high and wide more times than I care to remember.....doing NOTHING for the PP. Maybe a quick trip back to Allentown might wake him up a bit!!.....

Knew it in the first period this would not be their night.  They had a bunch of opportunities that they missed or that Murray saved.  Meanwhile, Crosby gets a lucky bounce and puts one in.  That said, I thought they played a really good game against a team that was geared up to play them.  Curious to see how they do against Minnesota.  Couldn't have been a fun plane ride after that loss.  In the Hakstol era, you could guarantee that tonight's game would be a big letdown.  Let's see if things have changed.

9 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

And can't believe no one is calling out Ghost....which is exactly what he has become. He shot high and wide more times than I care to remember.....doing NOTHING for the PP. 

This is just all aimed towards you just use it as vehicle.

All that can be said about Sanheim to weak as a shi tty soiled diaper in his own end.

Got out muscled/huslted on the 1st and 3rd goal and missed a wide open unimpeded shot between the dots 7 feet from Murray in the 1st and yet everyone wants to single out Ghost and blame him. Unreal.

I bet if you got Ghsot and Sanheim together in a bench press competition Ghost out lifts him easliy. 

Sanheim is very underwhelming and anyone else who does see it is lying to them selves or needs to get their eyes checked.

I'm not picking a fight but goddamn it's enough with this blaming Ghost and the bigger 6-4  Dman who is supposed to be better defensively gets a pass.

They both need to be much better.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I bet if you got Ghsot and Sanheim together in a bench press competition Ghost out lifts him easliy. 

You can't bench press the puck into the net.

- Captain Mike

In all honesty, though, Sanheim has been MUCH better defensively than Ghost in my eyes. Of course, both still need work - most of the team does. And last night was not Sanheim's night... but as a general rule, I've found Sanheim to much more sound in his own end.

9 minutes ago, brelic said:

You can't bench press the puck into the net.

- Captain Mike

In all honesty, though, Sanheim has been MUCH better defensively than Ghost in my eyes. Of course, both still need work - most of the team does. And last night was not Sanheim's night... but as a general rule, I've found Sanheim to much more sound in his own end.

Well he was directly responsible for the 1st goal and the 3rd one.

That can't be blamed on Ghost.

It's not all on him but he has to play better.

Hart and Ivan too.

But many times I have seen smaller guys push Sanheim around and he doesn't show the urgency he should with guys pressing him.

4 hours ago, brelic said:

I know it would make us thin down the middle, but G needs to move back to wing. He has been way less effective since playing center. His line is also defensively suspect

They have been far less visible and effective the last couple of games.

Archived