Minnesota Wild vs New Jersey Devils, Friday 2-15-19, 7:30pm, Xcel Energy Center

MNSOTA

Minnesota Wild (27-25-5)  59pts  5th in the Central

2.79 Goals For Per Game (25th in the NHL)

2.89 Goals Against Per Game (12th in the NHL)

21.1% Power Play (12th in the NHL)

81.7% Penalty Kill (10th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #11 Zach Parise ~ 23G 26A = 49pts

2. #64 Mikael Granlund ~ 13G 33A = 46pts

3. #20 Ryan Suter ~ 6G 32A = 38pts

4. #12 Eric Staal ~ 17G 20A = 37pts

5. #46 Jared Spurgeon ~ 11G 24A = 35pts

Top 3 PIM's:

1. #36 Nick Seeler ~ 45 PIM's

2. #17 Marcus Foligno ~ 40 PIM's

3. #29 Greg Pateryn ~ 35 PIM's

Top Goaltenders:

1. #40 Devan Dubnyk (21-20-4)  2.63GAA  .911%SP  1SO

2. #32 Alex Stalock (6-5-1)  3.00GAA  .892%SP

Vs.

New Jersey Devils (21-28-8)  50pts  8th in the Metropolitan

2.86 Goals For Per Game (21st in the NHL)

3.44 Goals Against Per Game (29th in the NHL)

19% Power Play (17th in the NHL)

84.2% Penalty Kill (4th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #21 Kyle Palmieri ~ 24G 18A = 42pts

2. #13 Nico Hischier ~ 16G 24A = 40pts

3. #19 Travis Zajac ~ 13G 19A = 32pts

4. #20 Blake Coleman ~ 18G 11A = 29pts

5. #28 Damon Severson ~ 8G 19A = 27pts

Top 3 PIM's:

1. #28 Damon Severson ~ 42 PIM's

2. #20 Blake Coleman ~ 38 PIM's

3. #21 Kyle Palmieri ~ 38 PIM's

Top Goaltenders:

1. #1 Keith Kincaid (15-17-6)  3.28GAA  .894%SP  3SO

2. #35 Corey Schneider (0-7-2)  4.22GAA  .867%SP

So I haven't actually written the preview itself yet. That will be started now, so at some point I will be back with the preview. Until then, try to stomach the stats.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the Devils coming to town, it is just a good a team as any to pick up a pair of points.

Devils are tied for fewest wins on the road (with Ottawa, at 7), have one of the worst goal differentials (bottom 3  at -35), and well, the Wild DID beat them last time out...so there is that.

Two struggling teams over their last several games, both missing players (NJ is MUCH more dangerous with Taylor Hall in the lineup...he won't be in tonight), so a matter of which one can get out of their doldrums just long enough to pick up some points.

Wild of course, have much more on the line...they do hold a playoff position still, while the Devils are seemingly just playing out the string and could be candidates for the lottery pick.

The recent Minnesota callups have played pretty well (EEK and Kunin) and if they can show the same sort of effort they did against the much tougher NY Islanders, then they should have a better game against the Devils.... or so the theory goes.

Nothing glamorous about trying to beat a team that is in the cellar of the league, but at this stage of the game, Wild don't need glamor...just standings points.
Blues just passed them by, but still within reach, and Dallas isn't pulling away either...also within reach.

So, again, NJ Devils... starting point for some wins?

Sure, why not.

Go Wild GO!
:wild:

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

With the Devils coming to town, it is just a good a team as any to pick up a pair of points.

Devils are tied for fewest wins on the road (with Ottawa, at 7), have one of the worst goal differentials (bottom 3  at -35), and well, the Wild DID beat them last time out...so there is that.

Two struggling teams over their last several games, both missing players (NJ is MUCH more dangerous with Taylor Hall in the lineup...he won't be in tonight), so a matter of which one can get out of their doldrums just long enough to pick up some points

That's precisely what scares me. All stars aligned to pick up the 2 points, but also to miserably lose 2.

1 minute ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

That's precisely what scares me. All stars aligned to pick up the 2 points, but also to miserably lose 2.

Yea, I know.
We've all seen Minnesota "play up to the competition....as well as DOWN to it"

As long as the Wild don't look past NJ to St. Louis (next game), I think they should be fine.

Would it surprise you if the Wild looked bad in this game, then looked lights out against the Blues? Probably not.
Such has been how the season has gone.

Baby Wild pushing for more ice time and NOT having to ride that bus back to Iowa....hey, this could be a good thing.
At the very least, the Wild get a good look at Keith Kinkaid, whom I would have liked to have seen them pursue in the off season as a backup to Devan Dubnyk....they either can then feel better about themselves keeping Stalock on for 3 more years, or let out a collective "doh!" if Kinkaid looks like a superstar. :ph34r:

22 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yea, I know.
We've all seen Minnesota "play up to the competition....as well as DOWN to it"

As long as the Wild don't look past NJ to St. Louis (next game), I think they should be fine.

Would it surprise you if the Wild looked bad in this game, then looked lights out against the Blues? Probably not.

Baby Wild pushing for more ice time and NOT having to ride that bus back to Iowa....hey, this could be a good thing.
At the very least, the Wild get a good look at Keith Kinkaid, whom I would have liked to have seen them pursue in the off season as a backup to Devan Dubnyk....they either can then feel better about themselves keeping Stalock on for 3 more years, or let out a collective "doh!" if Kinkaid looks like a superstar. :ph34r:

The Stalock signing was purely a move to avoid having to expose that Finlander in Iowa in the Seattle draft. Not that they think Stalock is better than anyone they could have plucked off free agency this Summer. He is pretty mediocre.

But with Stalock signed for three years they can expose him in the Seattle draft and use their goaltender slot to protect that Finlander.

Dubnyk is a UFA in 2021 and he'll be 34. They'll probably let him walk (I would), so that means that the protected goaltender's slot will be the Finlanders (providing the Finlander keeps putting up the numbers). 

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Indeed. The whole Wild story of the season (and the past as well)

37 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

The Stalock signing was purely a move to avoid having to expose that Finlander in Iowa in the Seattle draft. Not that they think Stalock is better than anyone they could have plucked off free agency this Summer. He is pretty mediocre.

But with Stalock signed for three years they can expose him in the Seattle draft and use their goaltender slot to protect that Finlander.

Dubnyk is a UFA in 2021 and he'll be 34. They'll probably let him walk (I would), so that means that the protected goaltender's slot will be the Finlanders (providing the Finlander keeps putting up the numbers). 

I heard that the guy Käkkonen (?) can potentially be a stud, eligible for the #1 goalie spot in the future, am I right ?

Archived