Flyers Trade RFA Stolarz for UFA Talbot

King Knut

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Maybe this has something to do with the trade.  But I still don't like it.

Wasn't a big deal all the Flyers had to do was resign Stolie when the season ends.

There aren't many openings around the NHL.

I highly doubt they signed the other guy to a 4+ mill per year deal to be Stolie's backup.

This makes no sense. Sure I get it that he and Hart are friends but I don't think the kid needs a mentor to be his BFF.

I would have kept Stolarz.  Talbot's numbers have been declining.  This is a trial period.  He is a UFA at season's end. I can't see Elliott in the mix given injury history.  They may not see Lyon as NHL material and the other prospects from overseas aren't ready.  That said, I would have kept Stolarz  

16 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I would have kept Stolarz.  Talbot's numbers have been declining.  This is a trial period.  He is a UFA at season's end. I can't see Elliott in the mix given injury history.  They may not see Lyon as NHL material and the other prospects from overseas aren't ready.  That said, I would have kept Stolarz  

He actually has good number the year the Oilers made the playoffs.

13 games played.

7 wins with 2 being shutouts.

924% 2.48 gaa

He has better playoff numbers than Bob and more wins.

891% 3.49 gaa

Only 5 playoff wins.

So it could be worse.

Here just to help burn Philly burn down quicker...

Out of the 29 goalies across the league who have played in 30 games or more this season, Talbot is dead last in save percentage and 28th in GAA despite seeing the sixth-fewest shots among the group. At 5-on-5 the numbers don’t get too much prettier for Talbot. Of the 29 goalies who have played 1,300 5-on-5 minutes or more in 2018-19, Talbot is 24th with a .911 save percentage, 21st with a .971 low-danger save percentage, and 27th with a .757 high-danger save percentage. Of the 31 games he’s played in this season, Talbot has posted a save percentage of .900 or lower in 18 of the tilts.

burn baby burn

You know I get this move if it would have been made in the beginning of the season as a stop gap to Hart.  However, with Hart now clearly as your #1 goalie the only I can think of is Talbot becomes Hart's mentor and that Fletch and company think they can make a legit playoff run.   Unless the Flyers think that they are gonna make a run for playoffs and want some insurance so they don't throw Hart to the wolves too much this year. I dunno?

What are the Flyers getting out of this? Do they really want another goalie who failed somewhere else?

Oh and FYI .... I read somewhere that  Talbot and Hart are friends ........(more of a mentorship???)

“He’s a great mentor. He’s a great goalie. He’s a great guy,” Hart said of Talbot the other day. “He’s the guy I called before my first start just to ask him about pregame jitters and what to expect and everything. He actually told me a story, his first NHL game was in Philly and his first NHL win was two days later against Detroit 3-2 (the same score in which the Flyers best the Red Wings in Hart’s debut). Pretty crazy.”

And another thing ...... could Talbot play a few games and prove he is still a starting NHL goalie and the Flyers use him in a package deal for another player???  (during the off season) Just trying to think outside the box here......

Not a fan of Talbot or the trade.

We just helped the Oilers clear a net $3.5 million off their cap so they can actually reactivate players they need AND we gave them a younger and likely way more cost controlled asset. 

The guy is making a ridiculous $4.16M for what is bottom of the barrel goaltending. How much of a pay cut do you think he will actually take if we want to resign him? 

He’s not worth half of that.

Maybe the plan is not to resign him since we have Sandstrom, and Ustimenko coming over next year.

And if that’s the case, why on earth did we give up an asset for less than two months of Hart’s bff?

This is the Fletch people feared. You insist on a draft pick or a player, or you walk away. We didn’t NEED Talbot in any sense. The Oilers NEEDED to clear cap space. 

I don't care. I won't miss Stolarz. 

I don't get the Talbot thing, but apparently the plan is to extend him. 

What I don't get is the ridiculous negotiating ability on the part of Fletcher. 

Why do we have to be another team's toilet? 

You have a team over a barrel, desperate to shed cap to bring a defenseman back.  So you give them a kid. No pick. No prospect. Nothing to take the salary, nothing to take a goalie who's been utter crap. 

This with an organization with a history of trading gold for dogs### pudding.

I wonder why I wasn't excited (put mildly) about the hiring of Fletcher. 

I'm astounded and dismayed. 

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

So you give them a kid.

Sure but a kid who is 25 with with major injury concerns and only 19 games of total NHL experience for a durable vet goalie who maybe can regain his form. It's a roll of the dice for both clubs...i think the Flyers get the most security in it and both clubs can walk away.

My issue as you stated and we both expected yesterday was something else out of it for the Flyers.

That part bugs me.

But i guess if Talbot can come in and become reliable in goal and play well by this time next maybe we will look back and say it was worth it.

It's a lot of butts. The Flyers though have been rumored interested in Talbot going back to last year. So hey now they can see if he is worth extending and go from there.

It's all i got. Stolie still has a questionable knee...so see how he finishes the year.

I'm just happy that i awoke this morning and Philly was still standing.

1 minute ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

You guys are seriously upset they traded Stolarz??   Why?    This was done strictly for Hart.   He considers Talbot a mentor.   Hart is their baby now and the team revolves around him.

I'm not upset i expected them to land him we discussed it yesterday. We just expected something in return for helping them out with their cap troubles...a pick or something. But nothing. 

But at the end of the day IF he comes in and plays well, gives them stability in net behind Hart, it could be a great investment and we could be saying wow what a trade Fletcher pulled off.....he did it straight up for a guy who can't stay healthy.

Guess we'll see.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

We just helped the Oilers clear a net $3.5 million off their cap so they can actually reactivate players they need AND we gave them a younger less experienced goalie with only 19 games ever played in and a long injury history and likely way more cost controlled asset who may not even resign.

Fixed it for you!!! :D

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure but a kid who is 25 with with major injury concerns and only 19 games of total NHL experience for a durable vet goalie who maybe can regain his form. It's a roll of the dice for both clubs...i think the Flyers get the most security in it and both clubs can walk away.

My issue as you stated and we both expected yesterday was something else out of it for the Flyers.

That part bugs me.

But i guess if Talbot can come in and become reliable in goal and play well by this time next maybe we will look back and say it was worth it.

It's a lot of butts. The Flyers though have been rumored interested in Talbot going back to last year. So hey now they can see if he is worth extending and go from there.

It's all i got. Stolie still has a questionable knee...so see how he finishes the year.

I'm just happy that i awoke this morning and Philly was still standing.

Yeah, like you I'm not at all concerned or bothered about losing Stolarz. 

I don't think the Oilers will resign him. I mean, who cares, but I suspect not. 

It's the lack of return to me.   Honestly, the lack of accompanying return indicates the Flyers intend to keep Talbot and the Oilers intend to dump Stolarz. 

7 minutes ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

You guys are seriously upset they traded Stolarz??   Why?    This was done strictly for Hart.   He considers Talbot a mentor.   Hart is their baby now and the team revolves around him.

It’s not that they traded Stolarz. I’m not convinced he’s an NHL starter, and even less so in Philly. 

It’s that Fletch had all of the leverage and got a more expensive and poorly performing asset out of it. Maybe it works out. 

But the bigger worry is that it is confirmation of Fletch’s trading weaknesses at a crucial juncture for this franchise. 

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I don't think the Oilers will resign him.

I agree after they see him play and flop around.

I think it was you and i (i could be wrong it was someone here) that discussed after that shootout loss to the Kings the way Stolie played opened my eyes a lot, he looked horrible in it and the Kings players missed 2 to 3 easy shots on him and he was sooooo lucky it went as many rounds as it did he did not look good by any means.

He looked like the complete opposite of what Hart looks like in goal.

Hart is calm composed and positionally sound and has good rebound control...and everything i just listed Stolie is horrible at besides a slow glove hand.

I think Talbot will come in refreshed to be out of that mess in Edmonton and maybe just maybe regain his composure and plays well.

And if not Chuck can explore another option this offseason.

I am in no way as up set as some are about this. This has a chance to look like a good move.

21 hours ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

Who's upset about trading Stolarz?  

I think it's a combination of the return and the utter crap "Hart likes him" nonsense. 

I'm not making moves because a 20 year old likes his diapers air warmed by left-handed gypsies.  I mean, I start doing that at 20, what kind of diva will be be at RFA. UFA.  What kind of coach killer will he be when, "yeah, well, the moron GM is making roster moves so my buddy is here to sing 'Soft Kitty" to me?'

I couldn't begin to care less about Stolarz. There were some here unhappy with me because I was never a fan. 

I'm critical of the return and the reasoning. 

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

It’s not that they traded Stolarz. I’m not convinced he’s an NHL starter, and even less so in Philly. 

It’s that Fletch had all of the leverage and got a more expensive and poorly performing asset out of it. Maybe it works out. 

But the bigger worry is that it is confirmation of Fletch’s trading weaknesses at a crucial juncture for this franchise. 

I’m not seein him as an “asset”.

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

I’m not convinced he’s an NHL starter, and even less so in Philly.

You don't post numbers like 924% and a 2.48gaa  2 shutouts in a playoff series and NOT be an NHL starter.

Then go 42-22-0-8 919% 2.39gaa  with 7 shutouts on a not so sound defensive team and NOT be an NHL starter.

But all he has to do is play backup. Which i think he can handle...and if he can stay healthy that is a win by itself.

Man folks need to get a grip.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree after they see him play and flop around.

I think it was you and i (i could be wrong it was someone here) that discussed after that shootout loss to the Kings the way Stolie played opened my eyes a lot, he looked horrible in it and the Kings players missed 2 to 3 easy shots on him and he was sooooo lucky it went as many rounds as it did he did not look good by any means.

He looked like the complete opposite of what Hart looks like in goal.

Hart is calm composed and positionally sound and has good rebound control...and everything i just listed Stolie is horrible at besides a slow glove hand.

I think Talbot will come in refreshed to be out of that mess in Edmonton and maybe just maybe regain his composure and plays well.

And if not Chuck can explore another option this offseason.

I am in no way as up set as some are about this. This has a chance to look like a good move.

Just wait.  They're going to go with Elliott and Talbot when Elliott is ready and send Hart down to win the Calder Cup. 

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah good post all around. 

I'm actually okay with Talbot.  He'll certainly stay healthier than any goalies on the Flyers not named Hart.   And he was good in New York and his first in Edmonton.  He's played behind crap. 

I think we'll be fine there. And if we're right about the Flyers resigning Talbot and the Oilers not keeping Stolarz, then that explains nothing else being in the package. 

I still think there should have been something more given the Oilers situation. We could have just waited to sign Talbot this summer. 

And I don't like the "well, Hart likes getting tacos with him" reasoning.  That bothers me a bit. 

Archived