Big Eric Staal to Jets?...Wild General Deadline Talk

Fargocase

I've been thinking this for a couple weeks now and Russo finally came out and talked about it before the latest 4-1 choke against NJD.   Big E. definitely wants to stay in MN but there's also clearly no role for him short term.  I don't think Wpg is satisfied with Little or anyone else currently on the roster as #2 Center.  Scheifle is clearly a solid #1 NHL Center in his prime. Big E. as #2 guy behind him makes sense.    The Staals are from Thuinder Bay, I believe.    Listening to Big E. he clearly wants to live up here and raise his family.  Plus he's going to a legit Contender so Wpg probably works for him personally on multiple levels.

4 hours ago, Fargocase said:

I've been thinking this for a couple weeks now and Russo finally came out and talked about it before the latest 4-1 choke against NJD.   Big E. definitely wants to stay in MN but there's also clearly no role for him short term.  I don't think Wpg is satisfied with Little or anyone else currently on the roster as #2 Center.  Scheifle is clearly a solid #1 NHL Center in his prime. Big E. as #2 guy behind him makes sense.    The Staal's are from Thuinder Bay, I believe.    Listening to Big E. he clearly wants to live up here and raise his family.  Plus he's going to a legit Contender so Wpg probably works for him personally on multiple levels.

If I were Fenton I'd be asking for a #1 or a couple of #2 picks with this or snag one of their Center prospects as in Masen Appleton or Jack Roslovic and a 2nd.  

Personally, I like the idea of trading Staal, but I want nothing to do with acquiring Little.  The Wild need to turn the table here for a younger faster roster.

Yes Staal boys from Thunder Bay.

Might we peg this thread Wild deadline discussion?

Credible story out of Buffalo says Sabres interested in Charlie Coyle, a New York product who played at Boston U. They would not be giving up youth so you're talking picks. Not much on their roster beyond the kids. Suppose you could get Larrsson and Scandella back as throwins.

47 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Yes Staal boys from Thunder Bay.

Might we peg this thread Wild deadline discussion?

Credible story out of Buffalo says Sabres interested in Charlie Coyle, a New York product who played at Boston U. They would not be giving up youth so you're talking picks. Not much on their roster beyond the kids. Suppose you could get Larrsson and Scandella back as throwins.

You got it.
As I think discussion in here will inevitably go to general deadline talk for the team anyways.

Will keep the original intent of the title with your suggestion thrown in as well.

Have at it guys.

Coyle's value?  Meh...probably might be enough to snag a 1st, but probably more likely a 2nd.  But I agree with Russo's assertion its important to get prospects back as part of the return.  Buffalo has some decent prospects; but the Jets have better ones.  

Jets are allegedly really aiming at Duchene and or Stone.  If they get one or both...yikes.  But they have the assets to do it.  

I do not want Johan Larsson or Marco Scandella back.  Ukka-Pekka Luukkonen or Rasmus Asplund...are Sabres' prospects that interest me.  

As far as the Jets goes...Roslovic (although he's graduated but I think he's plug and play kind of guy)...Logan Stanley and Dylan Samberg would interest me too.  

Quite frankly I don’t think we really have anyone that is worth more than a 2nd round pick other than spurgeon,  granlund, greenway or kunin. Greenway would probably get you a #1 if he had a little larger body of work. 

But what good would it do to give up your best players. 

21 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Nothing. Unless the return holds more value.

Trade Staal to any team he wants to, he isn't a part of our rebuild.

And that's where we usually blow it. Thinking what we got is 'better.' ;) 

I somewhat agree with @Tomdog  Mikko's only going to have a partial season on influence and Suter I picture retiring before contract is up. Either way Suter's here.

I'm a bit curious to find out if this is where Staal's game is at. Is he just another one on the list of way under achievers this season? 

Or was last season Way over?

If he's not part of a solid deal then I wouldn't mind having him back for another year or two. I just can't believe this drop off of his is normal.

12 hours ago, Tomdog said:

I would rather have Staal around a group of young talent than mikko or Suter.

Yeah, I know what you mean, he has way more character than those two prima donnas.

But he's slowing down, rapidly. And when lose your step, you lose your production too.

Just now, ClusterChuck said:

And that's where we usually blow it. Thinking what we got is 'better.' ;) 

I somewhat agree with @Tomdog  Mikko's only going to have a partial season on influence and Suter I picture retiring before contract is up. Either way he's here.

I'm a bit curious to find out if this is where Staal's game is at. Is he just another one on the list of way under achievers this season? 

Or was last season Way over?

If he's not part of a solid deal then I wouldn't mind having him back for another year or two. I just can't believe this drop off of his is normal.

From what I've seen the pace of the game is becoming his issue. On many occasions he's trying to replace a few quick strides with a long reach/hook. I don't see that as a good strategy. The league isn't slowing down, on the contrary and unless you have speed, I can't see how you can be productive. Or even useful in the lower lines.

Staal is as old and now even as slow as Mikko. A better player though.

@Hockey-78 I agree he's been very slow...Too slow. That's why I question the drop off from last season.

Since he's usually paired with speed (Zucker and Granny) this and last season, How much of Staal's success has been 

because of Zucker being a major player in the under-achieving group?

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:00 PM, IllaZilla said:

There are 10 teams Staal can’t be traded to (without his permission) and Russo was reporting they were all playoff teams. 

Doesn't Zucker have something like that too coming up on his contract? Swear I heard something about that.

Not shocked by Staals list. Almost forcing the Wild to keep him instead of trading. I like Staal but father time catches everybody. I don't think trading him is really going to net much. Age, contract length left and a major decline in production. Maybe a team that has some hurt players otherwise in good shape to try make a serious run for the cup then maybe a ok player or pick in return. Realistically the Wild really don't have much in trade bait. At least nothing to net them a nice return without the Wild losing a significant piece.

Imo, blow it all up..

Keep only Dumba, Kahkonen, Greenway, Kunin and Kaprizov safe. I'd like to keep Ek and Spurgeon too but if the right offer comes along for either of them I would have to consider it.

Get what you can in prospects and pics back for anyone else on the roster.. don't bother with mediocre or change of scenery NHL guys on long contracts... just call up AHL guys to fill holes on the main roster or get some guys on 1-2 year deals for now.

Hope that you can get out of Mikko's contract asap and that Parise and Suter will be unhappy and waive their no trades. If not let them ride it out on a mediocre team for a couple years and see if that changes anything. 

Make sure you set yourself up properly for the expansion so that none of your future is sacrificed(like Haula and Tuch were).

Hire a scouting and drafting team that aren't as bad as what we've had in years past and hopefully hit on a few picks. 

I'm okay with watching a bad product for a handful of years.. because in reality that's exactly what we've already been doing. Making the first round of the playoffs and getting bounced only to get a later pick is more frustrating than not making them and possibly having a shot at a player that could change the dynamic of the team for years to come. This team needs a huge culture shift and its time for a fire sale.

19 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

Doesn't Zucker have something like that too coming up on his contract? Swear I heard something about that.

Not shocked by Staals list. Almost forcing the Wild to keep him instead of trading. I like Staal but father time catches everybody. I don't think trading him is really going to net much. Age, contract length left and a major decline in production. Maybe a team that has some hurt players otherwise in good shape to try make a serious run for the cup then maybe a ok player or pick in return. Realistically the Wild really don't have much in trade bait. At least nothing to net them a nice return without the Wild losing a significant piece.

Yes. Zucker's kicks in next season. A 10 team No-Trade list. If the Wild had the cap space to give him his $6M he was asking for, I bet the wouldn't have gotten that NTC. Spurgeon has a similar one, 10 team No-Trade list. Probably a similar tact, all Playoff teams...

I think Staal would get more than you think. That stiff Martin Hanzal got the Coyotes a first round pick. I bet Staal would get a first rounder, at least a second. GM's going for a Cup right now don't think about the future, because if they trade away the future and end up with a Cup, no one cares. It's when they trade away the future and consistently end up with a first round exit that people start to notice...

And that's what Fenton is going to have to determine. Does he give up a Granlund to get a bunch of picks and/or prospects? Does he really want to do that, or try one more season with this group and hope they can stay healthy? Last season they lost Niederreitter and Coyle for a good chunk of the season and then when those two came back, they lost Suter and Parise in the Playoffs.  This season they lost Dumba and Koivu. I'm not saying they would have gone far had they been healthy, but there aren't many teams that can lose major players and recover from that.

I would like to keep Staal for his character, but I don't know if he can transform his game to a 3rd line center, because that is his future.

As players reach the age of Staal and mikko they have 2 choices, accept the decline of their game or learn to become fitness freaks and defend.

11 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Could see Calgary make bid for Dubnyk. I would be dissapointed but that team is in it to win it but needs upgrade in the crease 

Dubnyk has a modified NTC. A bit different. 19 teams he can be traded to. 

15 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Yes. Zucker's kicks in next season. A 10 team No-Trade list. If the Wild had the cap space to give him his $6M he was asking for, I bet the wouldn't have gotten that NTC. Spurgeon has a similar one, 10 team No-Trade list. Probably a similar tact, all Playoff teams...

I think Staal would get more than you think. That stiff Martin Hanzal got the Coyotes a first round pick. I bet Staal would get a first rounder, at least a second. GM's going for a Cup right now don't think about the future, because if they trade away the future and end up with a Cup, no one cares. It's when they trade away the future and consistently end up with a first round exit that people start to notice...

And that's what Fenton is going to have to determine. Does he give up a Granlund to get a bunch of picks and/or prospects? Does he really want to do that, or try one more season with this group and hope they can stay healthy? Last season they lost Niederreitter and Coyle for a good chunk of the season and then when those two came back, they lost Suter and Parise in the Playoffs.  This season they lost Dumba and Koivu. I'm not saying they would have gone far had they been healthy, but there aren't many teams that can lose major players and recover from that.

Good post. There is still a big part of me that with such a decline in production and even a major slow down in speed, I can't see Staal netting us something that high. It would be interesting and maybe we can sucker somebody into a nice pick although I will admit I would be said to see him go but for a 1st or 2nd round it would be for the best of the franchise.

A thought from 

31 thoughts by Elliotte Friedman:

21. I’m not sure if Minnesota would be willing to trade with Carolina again, since initial returns on the Nino Niederreiter/Victor Rask swap aren’t favourable. But if Don Waddell really wanted to whip up a frenzy, taking a run at Eric Staal would do it.

@Antti_Laxative Wouldn't that be something.

Imagine by the end of next season that the deals turn a 180 in our favor. ;)

Interesting reading on forums for sure. Lol.

Staal as a rental for a pick. Then he re-signs here with same smaller contract #'s since he hasn't done himself a favor with his results this year.

Archived