Coyle Traded to Bruins; Donato + 5th Come Back to MN

Jimtown guy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus! MN fans are such b!tches. Two days ago it was "tear this team apart." Today its complaining that pieces of this garbage core is being tore apart. I read that no one on this roster was worth a bag of pucks, then Fenton gets you 2 bags of pucks and you f-ing whine about it. 

So which is it? A roster full of trash or a roster full of gold? 

Neutral trade. Younger, cheaper but smaller, less defensive, another left shot. 

They wouldn’t play coyle at center, where he was best, because they needed right shot wings. I hope they have a plan to fill that need. 

13 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

He goes back home. Didn’t he play for Boston U?

Briefly before he left due to some of his teammates getting booted from the team.  So he left and played at St. John in the QMJHL.  Did well there on a super loaded team and went to the Memorial Cup.  

Good for him.  I don't think he was a negative part of the locker room.  In fact, that's kind of the sad part in it all.  He probably needed a change of scenery but he wasn't a part of the culture problem as I see it with this club.  It probably won't change anything for the Wild.  

As for Donato.  He has some scoring ability, but he also has skating issues.  If the Bruins advance past the 1st round, the 5th round pick turns into a 4th round pick instead.  

22 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Briefly before he left due to some of his teammates getting booted from the team.  So he left and played at St. John in the QMJHL.  Did well there on a super loaded team and went to the Memorial Cup.  

Good for him.  I don't think he was a negative part of the locker room.  In fact, that's kind of the sad part in it all.  He probably needed a change of scenery but he wasn't a part of the culture problem as I see it with this club.  It probably won't change anything for the Wild.  

As for Donato.  He has some scoring ability, but he also has skating issues.  If the Bruins advance past the 1st round, the 5th round pick turns into a 4th round pick instead.  

Keep hearing that he can skate well in a straight line but has trouble with turns and gets knocked off somewhat easily. Maybe he should call Grannys skating coach from a couple of years back?

A Neutral trade I would say. And about a 5th pick, could have been a 3rd, 4th, 7th, it doesn't matter, this pick won't translate into an NHL player.

Only good thing: making room in the salary cap.  

12 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

Gulp.  We are getting even smaller and weaker.  Wasn’t this a glaring problem in past playoffs?  Underwhelmed like NN trade - draft pick too low, Donato too small, and not compelling enough. 

Well, you were dead on right from the start on the Nino trade.   Here's hoping you're not two for two!

9 minutes ago, 4Check said:

Well, you were dead on right from the start on the Nino trade.   Here's hoping you're not two for two!

My Issue Is always the return.  I was hoping for a 3rd or 2nd.  I also want to see a plan - size, position, handed shot, etc.  I am fine with offloading a heftier contract for a younger and cheaper player.  The question is fit and type of player.  I would have preferred higher draft chiice, and/or bigger and tougher player. I also want to see those that hurt culture out the most. 

Looking like a Nino trade all over. Watch Coyle get used correctly and light on fire. I was frustrated with him but more frustrated that the team refused to help him out or put him in the best spot to succeed with his skill set. The return is pretty poor. A guy who did so poorly Boston sent him to the AHL to sit along with a 5th round pick that more then likely is just a career AHL'er. Doesn't look like a trade for the future or improvement. This just looks like a trade cause Fenton can. It's not looking to bright for Fenton so far.

7 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

Looking like a Nino trade all over. Watch Coyle get used correctly and light on fire. I was frustrated with him but more frustrated that the team refused to help him out or put him in the best spot to succeed with his skill set. The return is pretty poor. A guy who did so poorly Boston sent him to the AHL to sit along with a 5th round pick that more then likely is just a career AHL'er. Doesn't look like a trade for the future or improvement. This just looks like a trade cause Fenton can. It's not looking to bright for Fenton so far.

Or he was sent to the AHL because they are so deep in the NHL.

I don't like this trade but it is what it is. The way I see it, kind of a desperate move from Fenton. Coyle has never been an issue. You may complain his production but I really don't think Donato + a 5th will do any better... But yeah, dumping salary is a strategy at this point since this team as it is won't get anywhere. Seems like CL has given approval to rebuilding.

Some see resemblance to trading Nino, I see too but very little.

11 minutes ago, TonyOday said:

Or he was sent to the AHL because they are so deep in the NHL.

Or because he was their biggest liability on defense for Center. Out of their Centers he was a -13. Not only was he the worst as a center for that for Boston he had the worst +/- of all players on Boston. I guess if anything it's just a salary dump move.

2 hours ago, Lonkkis said:

Keep hearing that he can skate well in a straight line but has trouble with turns and gets knocked off somewhat easily. Maybe he should call Grannys skating coach from a couple of years back?

That was about the time I was ready to give up on Granny. Glad he came around.

Good for Coyle to go home around family and friends. He'll probably respond for a bit like Nino and people will scream Bad trade again...

So far we've dealt some low value players and people are underwhelmed...What did you expect? 

I have to think Fenton is working on a bigger deal. Maybe not by deadline but more over the summer.

1 minute ago, ClusterChuck said:

That was about the time I was ready to give up on Granny. Glad he came around.

Good for Coyle to go home around family and friends. He'll probably respond for a bit like Nino and people will scream Bad trade again...

So far we've dealt some low value players and people are underwhelmed...What did you expect? 

I have to think Fenton is working on a bigger deal. Maybe not by deadline but more over the summer.

Rask for Nino was bad. It was a downgrade even with Nino playing through a struggle. Rask was never anywhere near Ninos level.
The Coyle trade is probably a salary dump but still doesn't look good. Donato, at this point is a down grade and a prayer that he can replicate some of Coyles stats and skills and a 5th round pick doesn't point to much for the future. Still wish we could have gotten at least a 3rd round pick if not 2nd round pick. Feel like we got lowballed and Fenton has no backbone and just accepted it as if he had too.

Given all season BB has switched line mates, Players positions etc. You'd think guys like Coyle and Nino and many others would know each other's play by now and not have trouble with line chemistry.  Now we have new players plug into spots and still the constant line switching. The idea of having chemistry at this point is pretty low.

I'm going to wait until we get things settled somewhat, Maybe into next training camp to see the effects from the new guys. (If they're still here). Not saying Rask has done much but as some say they Coyle trade was about cap space, I still feel Nino was a 'message' move given when it was made early enough to see how the team responded.

8 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Given all season BB has switched line mates, Players positions etc. You'd think guys like Coyle and Nino and many others would know each other's play by now and not have trouble with line chemistry.  Now we have new players plug into spots and still the constant line switching. The idea of having chemistry at this point is pretty low.

I'm going to wait until we get things settled somewhat, Maybe into next training camp to see the effects from the new guys. (If they're still here). Not saying Rask has done much but as some say they Coyle trade was about cap space, I still feel Nino was a 'message' move given when it was made early enough to see how the team responded.

To counter this as a argument against it I would think it would be hard to build chemistry if you get a game or two with line mates before being moved apart and with a new set. Where a lot of teams try to keep the same guys together as much as possible the Wild love to build something, tear it down and randomly grab new parts.

5 hours ago, Lonkkis said:

Dianne Ness?  She's contracted by the Wild, so yea that's pretty easy to connect those two.  Yet, I'm skeptical of any player really solving their skating issues at this point and in a day in age when every player has probably worked on their skating with a specialized instructor.  

2 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

I don't like this trade but it is what it is. The way I see it, kind of a desperate move from Fenton. Coyle has never been an issue. You may complain his production but I really don't think Donato + a 5th will do any better... But yeah, dumping salary is a strategy at this point since this team as it is won't get anywhere. Seems like CL has given approval to rebuilding.

Some see resemblance to trading Nino, I see too but very little.

IMO, Donato's skillset sounds eerily similar to Mario Lucia's.  Although I think Donato is much better in terms of what he does have going for him than Mario did.  

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Dianne Ness?  She's contracted by the Wild, so yea that's pretty easy to connect those two.  Yet, I'm skeptical of any player really solving their skating issues at this point and in a day in age when every player has probably worked on their skating with a specialized instructor.  

Not her, it was a finnish couple that were former european champs in figure skating during mid-90's. Though I'm sure Dianne has helped him as well. There was an interview that summer about his training.

I'll see if I can dig it up. It's in finnish, so you'd have to use Google translate. 

7 hours ago, EJ0226 said:

SHOCKER!!!! You don't approve of anything the Wild do. You seriously think the Bruins would give up a 3rd? 

Personally I feel Fenton sucks cause he should have gotten Pasternak and a 1st for Coyle, because you know Coyle is so great. 

18 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Interesting Boston is starting Coyle on their third line. Did we as fans overvalue Coyle because of who he was traded for?

I don't know about "overvaluing" Coyle... I STILL say perhaps at least a 3rd coming back should have been the case, and not a 5th, but what is done is done.

As for Coyle starting as the 3C in Boston, that isn't surprising, but it makes sense, and may ultimately be in his best interest too.

1--- Boston has Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci as their 1 and 2 C's respectively. Right off, Coyle is NOT going to take their spots. Now, given an injury to either, then move Coyle up one.

2-- 3C position, while not having the pressure of the first two center positions, STILL is important in Boston as they try to match the TB Lightning, who roll 4 legit lines....so Boston is not looking to have a simple "checking line" as their 3rd....they want offense out of them, and Coyle should be working as if he were in a top six role, because the Bruins are pretty much expecting that out of that line, though again, not to the degree of the first two lines.

3--The third line will allow Coyle to become acclimated quickly to how Boston plays as opposed to Minnesota...always a big thing when a player goes from one way of playing to another, especially if he had been doing things his former team's way for a while.
Though TBH, I think Coyle should fit right in... Boston plays a fast, defensively responsible style with a good goalie behind them...you know, how the Wild USED to play.... I don't see a problem with his transition, but the nonetheless, the 3C role allows him that bit of cushion.

4--Finally, if Boston really does intend on keeping him at the center position, then that can only benefit both team and player. I've always felt Coyle is a better center than winger, due to the added responsibilities...and Coyle NEEDS to be kept occupied on the ice at all times, and he does seem to lead better by example on the ice, and what better way to exercise that than by playing Center.
This jerking around Minnesota did with him regarding position did him NO FAVORS. He should do better with a clearly defined, steady role now.

Bruins may be one of the Lightning's arch division rivals, but I do wish Chawwwwlie well, personally. He deserves better than to simply be "the guy Brent Burns was traded for"... honestly, that schtick is past old.

Archived