Matt Duchene traded to Columbus

yave1964

Just in.

Matt Duchene has been traded t the Jackets in exchange for a first round pick, decent winger prospect Vilaly Abramov (smallish but fast, has shown a ton of upside but only in flashes in Cleveland at the AHL level, other times he gets lost for games on end) and another prospect.

Wow.

Supposedly the Predators bowed out yesterday leaving Duchene for the Jackets meaning they are likely going to keep Panarin and Bob for the remainder of the year and treat them as rentals, it allows them to slot Dubois into the 2C role and puts Duchene in a primo position on a top line with Panarin and Atkinson on his wings. Columbus now has to be considered a cup contender for this year and they are planning on doing everything possible to get Duchene on a long term deal in the immediate future.

Huge win for the CBJ, unless Abramov finds more than he has shown at the AHL level it is a head scratcher that it is all that Ottawa could get.

Abramov, oooff. I admit to being high on him based off his camp a couple of years ago but he has been dreadful in Cleveland, he is a floater who shies away from any contact, he is a pretty boy, he reminds me for all the world of another former flash in the pan for the Jackets named Nikita Filatov who looked great in practice and scrimmages when nobody was hitting him but didn't have what it took to adjust to the NA game. I get to five or six Monster games a year and I have seen Abramov look like a dominating player out there at times but more often than not he is a non factor. If he is the central piece going to Ottawa they need to fire their head scout.

11 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Just in.

Matt Duchene has been traded t the Jackets in exchange for a first round pick, decent winger prospect Vilaly Abramov (smallish but fast, has shown a ton of upside but only in flashes in Cleveland at the AHL level, other times he gets lost for games on end) and another prospect.

Wow.

Supposedly the Predators bowed out yesterday leaving Duchene for the Jackets meaning they are likely going to keep Panarin and Bob for the remainder of the year and treat them as rentals, it allows them to slot Dubois into the 2C role and puts Duchene in a primo position on a top line with Panarin and Atkinson on his wings. Columbus now has to be considered a cup contender for this year and they are planning on doing everything possible to get Duchene on a long term deal in the immediate future.

Huge win for the CBJ, unless Abramov finds more than he has shown at the AHL level it is a head scratcher that it is all that Ottawa could get.

Preds couldn’t get a deal with Matty D. on resigning next year.  Huge piece on playoff run. 

Sportsnet are claiming that both Stone and Dzingel are on the trading block, which isn't too surprising.

I'm also interested in what's happening with Nilsson, as he's UFA at the end of the year. He's a good goalie and if things were done properly should take over from Anderson as the #1 next year. But, well, who knows.

To read with a sound of a violin orchestra.

The Blue jackets landed a legit #1 center, but also one of the biggest cancer of the league. I would be worried about the group cohesion right now.

Back at the time in Colorado, Patrick Roy truly asked Sakic to dump him at any costs. Sakic refused, the day after, Roy resigned from his head-coach position.

1 hour ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

To read with a sound of a violin orchestra.

The Blue jackets landed a legit #1 center, but also one of the biggest cancer of the league. I would be worried about the group cohesion right now.

Back at the time in Colorado, Patrick Roy truly asked Sakic to dump him at any costs. Sakic refused, the day after, Roy resigned from his head-coach position.

Well, if true, we will see how Mr. Duchene deals with one Mr. "Go Eff Yourself Brooksie" Tortorella!  :bigteeth:

The fire sale has continued as Ottawa trades Dzingel to CBJ, because the phone numbers of every other GM were accidentally deleted from Dorion's phone

The Blue Jackets acquired the 26-year-old Dzingel on Saturday night along with a 2019 seventh-round pick previously owned by the Calgary Flames, in exchange for Columbus's second-round pick in 2020, a second-round pick in 2021 and forward Anthony Duclair.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Blue Jackets are loading up so Bob can choke again come playoff time...

Not much of a secret that I watch a bit of big ten Hockey, Dzingel was a star with the Buckeyes and I have been saying that he would be the one that the CBJ would target, and I even told my wife when they added Duchene that Duchene was nice but Dzingel is who I was hoping they would have added because of his 200 foot game and non stop motor. I was actually sad that the Jackets didn't get hm. 

Now the hard part, Bob/Panarin/Dzingel/Duchene all due for UFA, at least two must be retained regardless. Oh and that pesky matter of winning a playoff round for the first time in team history would be nice too.

Obviously, I'm writing this after the Dzingel trade. 

Duchene gives them a nice 1-2 at center. That's something they really haven't had. So good on them.

Dzingel is a nice player, but I'm not really bullish on him.  In my opinion, he's not worth that package. 

But my main reason for writing is this:  they just screwed themselves as a franchise if some of these folks don't resign. And from what I'm reading, that's not likely

In coming:

Duchene, Dzingel, Bergman

OUT:

Abramov, Davidson.  TWO first round picks, TWO second round picks. 

Going all in is fine, but I'm not sure the got the horses.  Pretend for a moment they did. So they finally win a round or two (my money is against) but ultimately don't win (my money is piled high on this square). They lose their free agents and their picks are decimated. 

The Blue Jackets are very close to being an afterthought. 

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Obviously, I'm writing this after the Dzingel trade. 

Duchene gives them a nice 1-2 at center. That's something they really haven't had. So good on them.

Dzingel is a nice player, but I'm not really bullish on him.  In my opinion, he's not worth that package. 

But my main reason for writing is this:  they just screwed themselves as a franchise if some of these folks don't resign. And from what I'm reading, that's not likely

In coming:

Duchene, Dzingel, Bergman

OUT:

Abramov, Davidson.  TWO first round picks, TWO second round picks. 

Going all in is fine, but I'm not sure the got the horses.  Pretend for a moment they did. So they finally win a round or two (my money is against) but ultimately don't win (my money is piled high on this square). They lose their free agents and their picks are decimated. 

The Blue Jackets are very close to being an afterthought. 

IDK Rux, I see it a bit different. A few points.

First Dzingel, I love the kid, he improved every year at OSU, he improved every year in the AHL and has improved every year at the NHL level. I think he has peaked, a middle six winger who plays hard at both ends of the ice who never takes anything for granted, a Tatar type. Chance of resigning his very high.

Duchene, the Jackets have been running with one center all year and a bunch of wingers who play center, ideal pickup for a team wanting to make a run. I think he is 50/50 to resign. If not, lots of cap room.

Bob, I dont see a hue goalie market in the offseason but Florida/Carolina have cap room. Probably 20 percent chance of him returning.

Panarin, On my run this morning I listened to a CBJ podcast who says Panarin is getting dealt to a west coast team today or tomorrow for an established defenseman and that he has heard this wthin the organization.  I think there is a zero percent chance that Panarin is back next year and a very good to excellent chance he is moved now.

Regardless, those four are all question marks on if they resign, but as one TSN hockey Analyst (I forget which one so I cannot give them credit) said about the two moves possibly leading to problems next year, "The last I checked they only give out one cup per year and for this year it makes the Jackets a much stronger team and a legitimate cup contender." I love the moves, live for the moment, they are indeed a much better team now and have a better chance to win the cup now. It could and likely will blow up, there are some truly great teams out there standing in the way but they chose to take a risk and push their chips all in and in and IMHO I admire them for doing so.

48 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Panarin is getting dealt to a west coast team today or tomorrow for an established defenseman and that he has heard this wthin the organization.

What team can afford to do that right now and NOT create another serious hole in the roster??

It has to be very limited and a team not trying for the playoffs....which makes me wonder if all this is the case why would Panarin stay?

50 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

"The last I checked they only give out one cup per year and for this year it makes the Jackets a much stronger team and a legitimate cup contender." I love the moves, live for the moment, they are indeed a much better team now and have a better chance to win the cup now.

You know the Jackets and especially Bob has to be secretly praying the Penguins DON'T make the playoffs.

One thing is for sure they are pushing all the chips to the center of the table....this has to be coming from the owner. If it doesn't work this could really really set them back half a decade.

Newest CBJ UFA addition

Keith Kincaid who has had moments with the Devils this year but is an unrestricted free agent at years end, has come to Columbus for a 2022 fifth rounder. Depth for the playoff run.

My guess is if Bob moves on, Kincaid is resigned to work with Korpisalo next year.

Archived