Were some Sabres trying to get Housley fired?

Buffalo Rick

Is very strange that after Botterill comes out with a press conference saying Housley is going no where, the Sabres play one of their best games of the year vs the mighty Lightning.  Guys like McCabe played a perfect game not turning the puck over and as a team they were in sync.  Something that has not happened in some time.  It makes you wonder?  

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Is very strange that after Botterill comes out with a press conference saying Housley is going no where, the Sabres play one of their best games of the year vs the mighty Lightning.  Guys like McCabe played a perfect game not turning the puck over and as a team they were in sync.  Something that has not happened in some time.  It makes you wonder?  

Trying to figure out exactly "What makes YOU wonder?", HJ?

Is this in reference to last night's game? The season overall? Something you were told over lunch with some of the players?? 

I will take a stab and say you meant about yesterday's game. If so, I don't see how anyone could say "players were trying to get Housely fired" with regards to that.
Buffalo DID play a good game (albeit a more defensive type game), took their opportunities WHEN they could.....but they had an AWFUL time with line match ups not only due to the Bolts having last change, but the fact that every TB line is a legitimate threat.

Not sure what game you were watching, but I thought Buffalo did the best they could with what they had, and just came up short against a Stanley Cup contender due to comparable lack of depth and the fact the defensive style they employed simply was not enough.
It really was that simple for yesterday's game. Sabres played well, very well in fact, but were just overmatched.

Oh, and side note...and something to consider, my friend:
If your Buffalo Sabres REALLY ARE brewing some conspiracy to "get Housely fired", then your team has more problems than people think!
Hockey teams that are tuning out their coach and/or working to get him fired are NOT focused on winning. Not focused on the big prize...and certainly not focused on unity and franchise progress.

Personally, I don't think the Sabres are trying to get anyone fired.
They are trying to win games, but right now, they just don't have team depth and still need to fill in some secondary roles and have consistency in their overall games to be any serious threat in the post season...or to even GET to the post season.

They have an outside shot this season (I still doubt they get in at this point, but it is still there) and I would think their focus would be on that...rather than trying to get their coach fired. Hockey players are proud and submarining their own honor and instinctive desire to win just to get a coach fired (and Housely has proven he knows something about being behind the bench!) just doesn't sound right to me....UNLESS there were some extremely serious problems brewing under the surface of this all.

And if that really is the case, then the Sabres' climb to post season relevance could be delayed further.

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I think it's 100 times more likely that the Sabres inconsistency is due to being a young team, and not trying to get their coach fired.

So neither of you find it strange that after Botterill, the GM, comes out and says Housley's job is safe, which I  believe is a mistake, they do a 180 and play lights out.  Yes Fruit girl, compared to the last month it was lights out.

6 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

So neither of you find it strange that after Botterill, the GM, comes out and says Housley's job is safe, which I  believe is a mistake, they do a 180 and play lights out.  Yes Fruit girl, compared to the last month it was lights out.

LOL...I STILL don't understand what you are disgruntled with???

Housely's job is safe...the team plays well, even in a loss...and this is a problem...how exactly????

Dude....your team is still on schedule to getting better. If at some point Housely becomes an impediment to team success, I am pretty sure Botteril will address that.
But right now, it is still full sails ahead!

No...I find nothing strange at all about the head coach's job being safe and the team doing a 180...whatever the heck THAT means!

Team played over their heads for stretches, time to come back to reality.

Ebbs n flows of a young team, like JR said.

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I find it to be a coincidence.

You're free to see it whichever way suits you best, of course. Most of the time, all things being equal, the simplest explanation is the most plausible. Either a team of professional athletes has conspired to lose games in a bid to get their coach fired, or else this same group of young players has trouble playing consistently.

I know which of the two scenarios makes the most sense to me.

53 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I find it to be a coincidence.

You're free to see it whichever way suits you best, of course. Most of the time, all things being equal, the simplest explanation is the most plausible. Either a team of professional athletes has conspired to lose games in a bid to get their coach fired, or else this same group of young players has trouble playing consistently.

I know which of the two scenarios makes the most sense to me.

McCabe is a good example.  I watch the Sabres every game.  McCabe is a turnover machine.  And an apple turnover for sure. Scandella I do not believe played last night? Not sure.  Maybe that is the magic formula,?  But the Sabres played a perfect game on defense last night.  I mean perfect, lights out. Right after Botterill said in public that Housley is safe.  I have no idea why he is backing Housley ?  So many penalties on line changes falls on the coach

20 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

So neither of you find it strange that after Botterill, the GM, comes out and says Housley's job is safe, which I  believe is a mistake, they do a 180 and play lights out. 

Um... you're saying the players trying to get their coach fired by playing perfectly? :thinking:

Sorry but this theory has too much Fox Mulder in it. Unheard-of.

20 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Um... you're saying the players trying to get their coach fired by playing perfectly? :thinking:

Sorry but this theory has too much Fox Mulder in it. Unheard-of.

No playing like crap until the GM said he is staying.  Then playing perfectly.  Got it?

On 2/22/2019 at 12:42 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

*Irony

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

No playing like crap until the GM said he is staying.  Then playing perfectly.  Got it?

Sorry but I don't think you get it you're rationalization is self-destructive. Sabres had a nice winning streak at one point. Was that "playing like crap"? Answer to your original question is NO! Got it?

29 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Sorry but I don't think you get it you're rationalization is self-destructive. Sabres had a nice winning streak at one point. Was that "playing like crap"? Answer to your original question is NO! Got it?

No. I dont got it.  I think some guys were tanking to get him fired. Why do you think Botterill had that press conference?  Then they play lights out two straight games. Lets see if it continues/  I do know Housley is safe.  I am not sure if that is smart.  He has no coaching experience other than assistant in Nashville.  Under that piece of crap Laviolette.

McKenzie pointed out the other day that since the Sabre big winning streak early in the season that they have the worst record in Hockey. They have improved a lot this year but they are not a playoff team by a longshot. Not sure if that is on Housley or on the players or both, there is some serious talent but serious flaws as well.

Archived