McDavid facing hearing for hit on Leddy (poll) Update: 2 games suspension

yave1964

Should Mcdavid be suspended?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should McDavid have been suspended for his hit on Leddy in last nights game?

• Yes, head shot, rules are rules.
    • No it was a hockey play.
  2. 2. Thoughts on the 2 Game Suspension?

• DOPS got it right, a head shot is a head shot.
    • McDavid deserves a suspension but 2 games is 1 too many.
    • Shocked that the superstar was even suspended
    • Confused at the inconsistency given for suspensions

Last nights game between the Oilers and Isles, McDavid collided with Leddy after Leddy fired a shot on goal. Leddy went down, McDavid drew a penalty, Leddy went through concussion protocol and returned playing the entire game. Today McDavid is facing a hearing with the department of player safety and a possible suspension.

Thoughts?

My personal opinion is Mcdavid was flying in, he looked incredibly awkward as he was in a stop start stop start thing, it looked like he was doing his level best to pull up and had no idea how to do this right. It looked awkward as hell, it was not a  Malkinesque type of hit where he leads with the shoulder to the head ala Oshie, I think that McDavid was just moving so fast that his brain exploded and he couldn't figure out which was the best option on the play. 

Penalty? Sure. Suspension worthy? come on, this is hockey still. No freaking way.

He (McDavid) is not a head hunter and does not play dirty. Penalty...absolutely.  However, McDavid did NOT leave his feet nor does it looks like he was purposely going for Leddy's head.  In all fairness, Leddy was sort of hunched over to begin with.

Agree with @yave1964 here....Penalty worthy..yes.....suspension worthy... I really don't think so.

If anything...fine him and if it happens again make him sit for 1 game......

just my 2 cents

EDIT ...I would add a 3rd vote options....Fine but no suspension...that would be my vote.

16 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

He (McDavid) is not a head hunter and does not play dirty. Penalty...absolutely.  However, McDavid did NOT leave his feet nor does it looks like he was purposely going for Leddy's head.  In all fairness, Leddy was sort of hunched over to begin with.

Agree with @yave1964 here....Penalty worthy..yes.....suspension worthy... I really don't think so.

If anything...fine him and if it happens again make him sit for 1 game......

just my 2 cents

EDIT ...I would add a 3rd vote options....Fine but no suspension...that would be my vote.

I join the group.

We should pay more attention at 43rd second of that video. Rules are rules. It was an intentional  hit by  his shoulder into the Leddy's head as well as McDavid's body was leaning towards Leddy. I showed that video to other employees at the hospital.  They all said  the same - it was an intentional. Like in boxing practically  any hit in hockey into the head is a brain micro concussion or a real concussion. Leddy went through a concussion protocol. Micro concussion is practically impossible to determine, but the player could suffer a late effects of it. Unfortunately to say for Connor, but he should be suspended at least for one game as a preventive procedure for him even if he never did it before. Fine is never enough in hockey. Discipline has a better effect than fine in my opinion.

I go with penalty, yes... suspension no.

Head shots, intentional or not, have already been established as something that is penalty worthy.
INTENT (and though the league may deny it, reputation, plays a part as well) is key...and it looked to me McDavid was bracing himself, rather than going out of his way to hit Leddy's head.

And yes, Leddy was down low already, and face it, McDavid is a taller man....pretty difficult, given those circumstances, for the hit to be anywhere else BUT Leddy's head.

McDavid has no 'reputation' for this sort of thing, though I believe in his short career, some have tried that on him.....though failing miserably to catch up to him.

Had McDavid wanted to go out of his way, I think we would have seen further extension, possibly point of elbow going to Leddy's noggin....that wasn't the case. At the speed at which NHL players move, gut reaction and instinct have to take over for self preservation...and that's what I think McDavid was doing there.
Sees a defender way low that could have possibly taken out his lower body (again, keeping in mind NHL speed), and he just braced for impact...unfortunately for Leddy, he got the worst of it.

Just like a player is responsible for his stick, I think players should be responsible for where they land a hit, but to suspend a guy, I think intent to injure has to be established, or at least some history of it.....none of that exists with McDavid at this point in time.

• hf101 changed the title to McDavid facing hearing for hit on Leddy (poll) Update: 2 games suspension
9 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

As I said in the chatbox, the Edmonton Oilers have been suspended for two games.

I'm just glad the league did something about that menace, McDavid.
Seriously...who does he think he is? Some kind of generational goon??

Pffft….maybe now when he comes back he will think long and hard about his actions and try to be a better hockey player  :ph34r:  :bigteeth:

Archived