Capitals trade for Jensen from Red Wings

yave1964

Washington traded Madison Bowey and a 2020 second rounder to the Wings in exchange for Nick Jensen.

I get it, last year the Capitals traded for Michal Kempny from the Hawks who became a key cog on their way to winning the cup and Niskanen is having an off year, the hope is they strike lightning in a bottle twice in a row and Jensen will be a key cog.

I think this one will fail miserably. I have mentioned before that I dont care for Jensen he was a career minor leaguer who caught a break when injuries hit the back end a few years ago and he had the hottest month of his life offensively from the back end. The Wings have given him a couple of years to find his game, the truth is he is a very flawed defender who gets turned around too easily and he rode the promise of the hot month he had a couple of years ago and turned it into something resembling a career. This is not a Wings fan crapping on one of his boys once he is gone, I have never been a fan, he makes poor decisions both with and without the puck, he has this move, I guess you would call it a move, when someone gets past him he dives and slides on his stomach to attempt to block the shot, he usually slides past harmlessly before the shooter fires the puck. If you think I am kidding please watch a Caps game now that he is in Washington, it happens almost every game where he gets turned inside out by a streaking forward and his go to move is to belly flop as if he were Pete Rose. No loss for the Wings, not going to amount to anything for Washington. I am estatic with the return a second and a middling player like Bowey is more than I would have thought possible for him. 

Thank you Yave.
Was wondering about this Jensen. Name sounded familiar, but probably only because either you or @SpikeDDS talked about him before.

Was thinking to myself, "Hmm...did Washington take advantage of Detroit's rebuilding situation?"
But from the sounds of it, they get a so-so defenseman, who may or may not do much, if anything, for them with regards to capturing another title.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Washington traded Madison Bowey and a 2020 second rounder to the Wings in exchange for Nick Jensen.

I get it, last year the Capitals traded for Michal Kempny from the Hawks who became a key cog on their way to winning the cup and Niskanen is having an off year, the hope is they strike lightning in a bottle twice in a row and Jensen will be a key cog.

I think this one will fail miserably. I have mentioned before that I dont care for Jensen he was a career minor leaguer who caught a break when injuries hit the back end a few years ago and he had the hottest month of his life offensively from the back end. The Wings have given him a couple of years to find his game, the truth is he is a very flawed defender who gets turned around too easily and he rode the promise of the hot month he had a couple of years ago and turned it into something resembling a career. This is not a Wings fan crapping on one of his boys once he is gone, I have never been a fan, he makes poor decisions both with and without the puck, he has this move, I guess you would call it a move, when someone gets past him he dives and slides on his stomach to attempt to block the shot, he usually slides past harmlessly before the shooter fires the puck. If you think I am kidding please watch a Caps game now that he is in Washington, it happens almost every game where he gets turned inside out by a streaking forward and his go to move is to belly flop as if he were Pete Rose. No loss for the Wings, not going to amount to anything for Washington. I am estatic with the return a second and a middling player like Bowey is more than I would have thought possible for him. 

This is EXACTLY what you said it is. A mediocre AT BEST defenseman has his best month EVER and the media gets a hold of it. Up goes his trade value. I am not at all surprised that Detroit was able to move him, and KH was smart to sell while his value is at its max.

The funny part of the "word on the street" (that means the media) is that he is a fast skater. If that's so, why the belly flops? Maybe it IS true that he is a fast skater, but his mind isn't fast enough to keep up with the NHL pace, at least the ELITE NHL pace.

I am also ecstatic about what we got. I'm hoping he is not all that we will be able to move, but it's a very good start.

I wish Jensen the best. I don't really have anything against him. He served his purpose this year for us, and with this deal, more than I expected he would do.

KH is on a roll of late!

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Thank you Yave.
Was wondering about this Jensen. Name sounded familiar, but probably only because either you or @SpikeDDS talked about him before.

Was thinking to myself, "Hmm...did Washington take advantage of Detroit's rebuilding situation?"
But from the sounds of it, they get a so-so defenseman, who may or may not do much, if anything, for them with regards to capturing another title.

We've talked about him before. @yave1964 more than I, because he watched him more in the AHL. But his analysis (as is usual) is on point. Washington bought the media buzz. The last few nationally televised games I watched, the announcers were mentioning how Jensen is a fast skater. Well, compared to most of our defense core, yeah, he is! But considering our defense core, that's not saying much. And there is no question that he is having a better year than either @yave1964 or I would have ever predicted. But like yave, I agree that this is very likely as good as he ever gets.

This deal may actually make sense for Washington if Jensen can play at the same level or better than he has been this year. He's not great. I think Washington MIGHT possibly get the short-term advantage in this deal, which is good for them, as they are trying to win another Cup. But if the Wings don't screw up the draft pick, this will help them more in the long-term. Good deal for both teams for what they need. I think Washington overpaid, but that is not uncommon when you are trying to get those last pieces for a legitimate Cup run.

Caps have seemed to have tired up the disappointing Bowey seems his offense never landed were it was projected when he was taken in the draft.

I too by this point we would have seen more offense from him.

84 games over two years and just one goal and 17 assist shows him just hasn't lived up to expectations.

I've seen more offense from Andrew Macdonald. Can't say i know a lot about Jensen.

Sounds like disappointment for disappointment swap.

Wings needed a right hand D man. now they got one however i would expect much offense from him i'm sure Wings fans will tire of him by a year or two when they see what he brings.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Caps have seemed to have tired up the disappointing Bowey seems his offense never landed were it was projected when he was taken in the draft.

I too by this point we would have seen more offense from him.

84 games over two years and just one goal and 17 assist shows him just hasn't lived up to expectations.

I've seen more offense from Andrew Macdonald. Can't say i know a lot about Jensen.

Sounds like disappointment for disappointment swap.

Wings needed a right hand D man. now they got one however i would expect much offense from him i'm sure Wings fans will tire of him by a year or two when they see what he brings.

Jensen scored 3 goals in his first 12 games in the NHL, he was never a scorer in the A or at any level, it sat up unrealistic expectations. So anyway:

12 games- 3 goals.

178 games since- 3 goals.

He is an okay 6th defender, nothing more. 

Bowey has been a bust, a former second rounder who has not developed, I think he is in need of a change of scenery, reading comments from Cap fans they seem glad to have him gone but seem to wish him well. I dont think he is much more than a 7th defender but a 7D and a second rounder for a 6D is a hell of a return.

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Looks like the Caps like Jensen enough to keep him around for more than just a rental this season...

From NHL.com
https://www.nhl.com/capitals/news/capitals-re-sign-nick-jensen/c-305107770

4 yrs/ 10M.. 2.5M AAV

Wow and they haven't even seen him play for them. Why do this now?? Very strange.

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Looks like the Caps like Jensen enough to keep him around for more than just a rental this season...

From NHL.com
https://www.nhl.com/capitals/news/capitals-re-sign-nick-jensen/c-305107770

4 yrs/ 10M.. 2.5M AAV

I wish him well, it reminds me of a few years ago when the Wings dealt Brendan Smith to the Rangers who resigned him to a four year deal right off, by November of the following year he was buried in the A and has had to claw his way back to playing time in the NHL and is still considered a bust with the Rags. I am not one of these guys who hope that anyone who leaves his team faces nothing but ill will, quite the contrary, and I hope Jensen proves me wrong but I just dont see it. The money isn't bad on this deal but the term....ugh. 

Archived