-=> FLYERS TRADE DEADLINE THREAD <=-

brelic

1 hour ago, brelic said:

I get it, but it's not just the -23. He's been declining for 3 straight years in almost every metric - goals, assists, points, points per game, +/-, PDO, Corsi, TOI, Fenwick, shooting %, xGF....

In addition to the metrics, there's the eye test: he can't skate, he loses every puck battle, he looks utterly lost most of the time, he's a horror show of a defensive liability who cannot be trusted to reliably do any of the things normally expected of a winger in your average beer league. Other than that, he's amazing.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, brelic said:

I know it’s part of the business, but damn that makes me sad. 

Love you Wayne. 

Also Montreal just got Weal from Arizona for Chaput. Lol. 

Latest from Eklund (rolling my eyes and taking with a grain of salt)

Preds have serious interest in Simmer.  If Simmer goes to Preds I want Eli Tolvanen and their 1st (2019) coming to the Flyers. Tolvanen can play both wings.

3 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

why did we get Talbot again? did we ever really get him or did we leave him at the border for our games in Canada?

HAVE TO HAVE ALLLLLL THE GOALIES....MUST HAVE ALL GOALIES...GOALIES...GOALIES...GOALIES!!!!!!!

NHL Network is reporting that Fletcher's asking price for Simmonds is too high for most teams but that a deal will happen eventually.

Meantime, I also read that Fletcher was getting interest in Elliott and Raffl as well. 

Moose is scheduled to start next game and losing Simmonds and Raffl would really damage their forward situation, but still, I hope Fletcher negotiating with multiple teams in Simmer isn't taking him away from other no brainer deals like these.

With Talbot (wtf is Talbot anyway) in tow and Hart expected back in a few days, there is ZERO reason not to trade UFA Elliott.  Raffl is a key piece who gets Dangerfield levels of respect on this board, but also as a UFA, there is no reason not to get an asset for him now even if you really want to bring him back to fill in a slot in July.  

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

We must get them... but we must only ever play one.

So Brian Elliott comes back from a three-month injury and is immediately asked to play four games in a row. 

AWESOME!!!

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

So Brian Elliott comes back from a three-month injury and is immediately asked to play four games in a row. 

AWESOME!!!

To be fair, he didn't start two of them... and I hope you can sense the sarcasm with which I type that.  

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

To be fair, he didn't start two of them... and I hope you can sense the sarcasm with which I type that.  

So what was the friggin point of trading for Talbot if you ain't even going to play him...makes no sense...they should be trading Elliott.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So what was the friggin point of trading for Talbot if you ain't even going to play him...makes no sense...they should be trading Elliott.

EXACTLY.  

It feels like if they hadn't traded for a 31 year old impending UFA, they'd at least still have a backup goalie right now.  

I read there were teams asking about Elliott to back up in the playoffs for them which I think makes a TON of sense for almost any playoff team.  Take the best offer.  That's a no brainer.  

ARE THEY EVEN DRESSING TALBOT YET?

Just now, King Knut said:

EXACTLY.  

It feels like if they hadn't traded for a 31 year old impending UFA, they'd at least still have a backup goalie right now.  

I read there were teams asking about Elliott to back up in the playoffs for them which I think makes a TON of sense for almost any playoff team.  Take the best offer.  That's a no brainer.  

ARE THEY EVEN DRESSING TALBOT YET?

And this morning for practice they had Phil Myers as the 7th D man after looking good the last two games he has played in.

Gordon is just Hakstol 2.0 he would rather play Mcdud and sit Myers instead of playing the best line up. Sh it pisses me off.

I hope they buy Mcdud out this offseason i am tired of seeing that guy even on the roster.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And this morning for practice they had Phil Myers as the 7th D man after looking good the last two games he has played in.

Gordon is just Hakstol 2.0 he would rather play Mcdud and sit Myers instead of playing the best line up. Sh it pisses me off.

I hope they buy Mcdud out this offseason i am tired of seeing that guy even on the roster.

There must be some other reason MacDonald stays in the lineup than we all see.  He's actually not at all bad bordering on pretty good for like 85-90% of most games.  His positioning and instincts are usually pretty good... it just seems that he loses it when the chips are down and makes incredibly horrible mistakes when he actually has a play to make... but if left to play positional non-thinking hockey he's actually decent.  

I'm also reading that teams are calling Fletcher about Radko instead but Fletch is pretty steadfast on hanging on to him.  To me this only makes sense if there's a waiving of MacDonald coming this summer.

11 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

there wasn't anyone else we could have gotten for Stolarz? just another goalie to keep in the wings?

They should just have kept Stolarz.  Even if he goes UFA, they could easily have resigned him for half what it'll take to keep Talbot after this season... if they can keep him at all.  

17 minutes ago, King Knut said:

He's actually not at all bad bordering on pretty good for like 85-90% of most games.  His positioning and instincts are usually pretty good...

Just which MacDonald are you watching? The only reason he has so many blocked shots is that he is always the first guy back( sometimes I wonder if he even leaves the zone). I would have rather resigned Rathje and extended Pronger (both after their career ending injuries) than EVER offer a contract to MacDonald. MacDonald is the Rime of the Ancient Mariner Albatross for Homer............Homer should have to wear a picture of him on a chain on his neck for the rest of his life............

2 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

Just which MacDonald are you watching? The only reason he has so many blocked shots is that he is always the first guy back( sometimes I wonder if he even leaves the zone). I would have rather resigned Rathje and extended Pronger (both after their career ending injuries) than EVER offer a contract to MacDonald. MacDonald is the Rime of the Ancient Mariner Albatross for Homer............Homer should have to wear a picture of him on a chain on his neck for the rest of his life............

That's actually part of it.  The stuff Mac does right is boring stuff that you barely ever notice.  It's his positioning that'll prevent the other team from trying a pass, or will force them to skate outside instead of in.  

His best work happens before the play actually materializes.  As soon as any play DOES materialize in his direction though, he tends to poop the bed.  

There was a great instance on Saturday where he zeroed in on a guy behind the net and took him cleanly out of the play... but because he didn't keep his damn stick on the ice, he was powerless to make a play on a slow pass along the boards that kept things going for the Penguins.

I'm not saying Mac's worth keeping or even good.  I'm just saying that we're watching the play and every rookie and kid on the team can out perform him on any given play, but he actually does positive stuff that it takes years to learn before the play happens.  

Not worth it and the instances that have resulted in goals the other way have been back breaking enough to have sat him or waived him long ago. 

But Homer is the guy that signed Bryz to 10+ years and then had to buy him out two years later.  He traded JVR for Luke Schenn.  He signed VLC to (what was it?) a 5 year deal?  He traded Bryzgalov for the draft pick that turned into Stolarz... who was just traded for a 31 year old UFA Talbot.  

Remember, the albatross was actually good luck until some damn fool up and killed it.  While Mac ain't good luck and I don't want him on the team and haven't since his first stint here before the contract, he's far from the darkest blot on Homer's resume.  

Just saw a tweet showing the Calder candidates, and that Pettersson's lead is slipping.

Binnington is just ahead of Hart in the 'ranking', so I took a look at his numbers. 

Jeezus.

14-2-1, 1.70 GAA, .934.

Archived