-=> FLYERS TRADE DEADLINE THREAD <=-

brelic

Well at least Wayne got sent to a team that has a chance to go far in the playoffs.

Fletcher didn't make the Flyers any better with the trade. Going  to miss Wayne "Class Act" Simmonds.

Good luck, I hope you win the cup. 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I’m officially on the, “we should have kept Simmonds” wagon.  If no one offered anything better than Hartman and a 4th, then you might as well keep Simmer because you’re not likely to actually Make much use out of what you got for him and you might as well push this bag of a team as hard as you can. 

I was was truly hoping Fletcher would show us something special, but so far, each and every deal has yielded NOTHING of any use. 

He had calls for UFAs Elliott and Raffl and apparently a LOT of interest in  Gudas.  They’re all still Flyers as far as I know. 

we all knew it was best to trade Simmonds for some kind of assets, but what’s the point if those assets are essentially useless?  

Fletcher is officially a dud.  

Now we all get to reap the BS Homer has sewn. 

I’m willing to accept that maybe Fletcher made this move under pressure to justify firing Hextall.  He justified that firing when he canned Hakstol as far as I’m concerned. 

Standing up to that kind of lunacy is what a good GM has to do however.  If Fletcher can’t tel Homer and Scott they need to chill when they demand useless trades, then screw him. 

I understand that he didn’t want to lose Simmer for nothing the way the Islanders lost Tavares... but Tavares is a significantly better player and the Islanders are in first damn place for all it cost them. (...because they finally got a good coach) 

I think many of us feared Hextall would just be Homer’s proxy and patsy back when they hired him.  That didn’t happen.  It looks as though it has now with Fletcher. 

No i’m I’m forced to wonder:  Was the demand for Wayne really that low, i know not a ton of moves were made today, but some teams really NEEDED a winger.  So was Wayne just not fetching better than. Bottom 6er and a 4th or were other GM’s unwilling to give Fletcher (and thus Homer) a decent deal just as they were before he had to hire Hextall?

i can’t help but be curious now.  

Wayne can sign where ever he wants this summer.  I'll reserve judgement until then.   

I really wonder what he is asking for.  If he doesn't stand out during Nashville's PO run, then I'm not sure he is going to get too much money.

9 minutes ago, King Knut said:

So I’m officially on the, “we should have kept Simmonds” wagon.

Uh no. He has 7 less points than Simmer had this year. And is 6 years younger.

You never know he could be traded away too. Too soon to say how this trade looks right now.

I hope the Preds at least win a playoff round.

7 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I really wonder what he is asking for.

From what they were saying on NHLnetwork he wants a 5 year deal.

And i forget who was talking but he too said that was to long he may go 3 years but that is as far as he (or i ) would go. I agree.

Power forwards at 30 skills fall off a cliff( which is what we are seeing right now i think)...hell no...buh bye Wayne.

1 minute ago, Howie58 said:

From my vantage, this may be a comment on Simmond's declining performance this year...short shelf life of power forwards.  The first round pick may have been optimistic.

I just said the same thing Howie and we are seeing it right before my eyes....you only notice the guy in scrums as he is heading to the box.

#disappointed .... Nashville didn't have a 2nd round pick in 2019, was hoping for at least a 3rd.  (Was honestly hoping for a 1st but I guess that was over reaching)

so the burning question ....Elliot is still here...why the hell did we trade for Talbot???????? :bonkingheadonwall:

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Uh no. He has 7 less points than Simmer had this year. And is 6 years younger.

You never know he could be traded away too. Too soon to say how this trade looks right now.

I hope the Preds at least win a playoff round.

The Flyers have $32 million in cap space and Hextall got fired for starting the season with like $7. 

Do we we really think they’re going to start next year with Hartman in a role that he’ll get any opportunity to score more points?

If they could have gotten a first or a legit prospect, trading Simmer makes sense.  

Right now Fletcher’s just trading guys that we’re leaving anyway for other guys that will play on the 4th line at best -if at all. 

Or at least they’d better because if they don’t, that means Fletcher totally effed up free agency.  

Except Stolarz who they traded for a guy who still isn’t playing at all.  

He had had calls for Simmer, Elliott, Raffl and Gudas.  He got Ryan Hartman and a 4th. 

But there’s good news:  the remaining team knows neither he nor Homer believe in them and all think their season is toast! 

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

From what they were saying on NHLnetwork he wants a 5 year deal.

And i forget who was talking but he too said that was to long he may go 3 years but that is as far as he (or i ) would go. I agree.

Power forwards at 30 skills fall off a cliff( which is what we are seeing right now i think)...hell no...buh bye Wayne.

As much as liked Simmonds as a Flyer, if he was asking for a 5 year deal then I'd say thanks but no thanks and move on. It sounds like a deal was in place with Calgary but Simmonds wouldn't waive his no-trade clause.

Just now, flyercanuck said:

Fletched again! 

This is what I’m saying.  This guy has made a TON of trades that are pointless at best... crappy at worst.  This was the day he had a chance to show me something.  

I hate him as GM. 

Just now, Lindbergh31 said:

As much as liked Simmonds as a Flyer, if he was asking for a 5 year deal then I'd say thanks but no thanks and move on. It sounds like a deal was in place with Calgary but Simmonds wouldn't waive his no-trade clause.

I'm curious in the possible return in that scenario???

Just now, King Knut said:

This is what I’m saying.  This guy has made a TON of trades that are pointless at best... crappy at worst.  This was the day he had a chance to show me something.  

I hate him as GM. 

Ya...his track record is either, why bother...or he loses.

I feel like making the team believe you thought they had a shot and pushing them to compete and play hungry for the rest of the year may have been more valuable than this deal in the end. 

Not because Hartman is bad but because he does nothing to address the future of the team.  

They can let Raffl walk now I guess... but if that’s all you get for it, why not trade Raffl too (teams were asking)?

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I hate him as GM. 

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If this is what we are to expect from Fletch....then this organization is screwed ......

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

the Irony that Poile is the one who gets to stiff Fletcher and thus render Homer’s firing Of Hextall useless feels a little too sweet to be coincidental. 

Revenge is a dish best served cold I guess.  

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

If this is what we are to expect from Fletch....then this organization is screwed ......

The organization was screed when they fired Hextall without a plan. 

And apparently NOT because he refused to can Hakstol.  

Homer and Scott must go.  Period.  We’re all boned until then.  

Dont get me wrong. For Hakstol, Hexy deserved to go. But if NOT for that... and without a plan... then they were just being idiots who let their egos screw over their organization. 

32 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

From my vantage, this may be a comment on Simmond's declining performance this year...short shelf life of power forwards.  The first round pick may have been optimistic. delusional

Fixed it. 

I was, too, so I'm not trying to insult anyone. 

15 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I feel like making the team believe you thought they had a shot and pushing them to compete and play hungry for the rest of the year may have been more valuable than this deal in the end. 

Not because Hartman is bad but because he does nothing to address the future of the team.  

They can let Raffl walk now I guess... but if that’s all you get for it, why not trade Raffl too (teams were asking)?

I'm not advocating for it. I'm just saying:  I think they intend to resign Raffl. 

F#$k this team and this organization. I have been a loyal fan for 40 years and I think I am officially done. I have lived in NorCal for 15 years and I thinks it's time to switch my loyalty to the Sharks. Having watched them for the past 15 years has shined a huge light on the incompetence of the Flyers management. The Flyers will never win a cup in my lifetime and I am done banging my head against the wall.

39 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Do we we really think they’re going to start next year with Hartman in a role that he’ll get any opportunity to score more points?

Well for starters he is better 5 o 5 so that should help a lot. And nets about half the pims. So those two attributes will help a lot.

And Scott Laughton - Nolan Patrick - Ryan Hartman line may produce some decent results.

Hell Wayne hadn't put one in the net in 11 games that is down right terrible and mostly why he didn't bring much back.

Just give it a chance. Plenty of time to bitch about it all.

Archived