Wild Trade deadline day

Jimtown guy

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to open a trade talk and confirmation topic for everybody to either guess or put in latest rumors/news.

From Russo at the Athletic it sounds like Granlund has a very high chance of being moved. He also said it sounds like nobody really has interest in Zucker with his performance and contract. Sadly I was hoping that maybe we would keep Granlund and send Zucker packing.

I can't imagine we will get fair trade value for Granlund back on this trade, at least right away. Maybe it might come in a future draft pick. But this does beg the question, why give up one of your most consistent guys, who in the last 3 season have been top 3 scorer on this team and is number 2 right now, if you are going to try and push for the playoffs.

I would imagine that Spurgeon has to be in some teams interest. It would be hard to gauge what teams would give up for him.

I would think with the play of Donato he could even strike a little interest. But he has changed how the team is playing for sure. It would be hard to send him packing if we want to make a push.

I can see Staal maybe going too but he is very cheap and third in scoring for the Wild. Hard to trade your scorers for maybes unless we are calling the season dead.

Any thoughts or news from anybody else?

when the wild signed zack and ryan I did not think the team would be ready for a stanley cup until mikko was old and worn out/ retired.

Now I don't think they will be cup worthy until dumba is a grizzled old vet, so why not hoard up all the 1st and 2nd round picks you can get.

with the expansion draft coming it will be easy to protect as all our players will be young and unelligable. 

4 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

🙄 **** with this organization... so now Fenton is shopping everyone except those guys/contracts we definitely should get off the books.

If you are referring to some of the longer term vet contracts, those are not as easily moved......I bet if they were, Fenton would.

Guys like Granlund, Zucker, even Spurgeon are much more attractive for lots of reasons to other teams, are likely to bring in the best hauls (at least in theory), and thus easier to move out.

If the Wild are serious about starting over, if they move enough of the other pieces, certain players would eventually waive their NMCs to get shipped out...though the Wild may still have to eat some salary to do so.

2 minutes ago, Lonkkis said:

Imagine the line with Forsberg-Johansen-Granlund. That would scare me.

Prepare as the Wild make their division rivals stronger. I see the Preds getting Granlund real soon.

I also can see Brodin going too. The more I hear talk about teams wanting a defense defenseman the more I think Brodin going.

Just now, EJ0226 said:

Prepare as the Wild make their division rivals stronger. I see the Preds getting Granlund real soon.

I also can see Brodin going too. The more I hear talk about teams wanting a defense defenseman the more I think Brodin going.

Indeed. Though I wouldn't give up Granlund for anything less than Fiala and Tolvanen.

19 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If you are referring to some of the longer term vet contracts, those are not as easily moved......I bet if they were, Fenton would.

Yes I am. I know those are not easily moved.

1) Koivu

2) Suter

3) Parise

4) Dubnyk

In that order I'd like to see them get moved.

These moves Fenton pulling off lately are like treatments for a person with a cancer. You fix his teeth, provide a good massage once a week etc.... and leave the core problem intact.

19 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

🙄 **** with this organization... so now Fenton is shopping everyone except those guys/contracts we definitely should get off the books.

Fenton is trying to get Zucker out of here but sounds like nobody has any interest in it. Parise and Suter I think will prefer to sit here with the franchise rotting. It will be hard to move them. Koivu is done next season so I don't expect him to ever move.

1 minute ago, Lonkkis said:

Indeed. Though I wouldn't give up Granlund for anything less than Fiala and Tolvanen.

The biggest problem is that all the other teams know the Wild are desperate in either for the future or a way to improve now to make the playoffs. I expect lowball offers as guys contracts like Granlund, Spurgeon, Staal, etc contracts expire either at the end of this year or next year and the Wild might not have the money to resign these guys again. I would lowball if I was another GM knowing Fenton is in a bad spot. His first signing, Zucker, is looking very terrible and the Nino trade for Rask is a bad mark on Fenton. I would be lowballing unless I know this player is going to sign with me and be a game changer for my franchise.

1 minute ago, EJ0226 said:

Fenton is trying to get Zucker out of here but sounds like nobody has any interest in it. Parise and Suter I think will prefer to sit here with the franchise rotting. It will be hard to move them. Koivu is done next season so I don't expect him to ever move.

The biggest problem is that all the other teams know the Wild are desperate in either for the future or a way to improve now to make the playoffs. I expect lowball offers as guys contracts like Granlund, Spurgeon, Staal, etc contracts expire either at the end of this year or next year and the Wild might not have the money to resign these guys again. I would lowball if I was another GM knowing Fenton is in a bad spot. His first signing, Zucker, is looking very terrible and the Nino trade for Rask is a bad mark on Fenton. I would be lowballing unless I know this player is going to sign with me and be a game changer for my franchise.

Which is why Fiala, a RFA with less production, for Granny sounds REALLY bad. I understand lowballing but it doesn't have to correlate to Fenton being outright fool.

3 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Which is why Fiala, a RFA with less production, for Granny sounds REALLY bad. I understand lowballing but it doesn't have to correlate to Fenton being outright fool.

Nino trade was a fool trade. And let's be honest the Coyle trade should have been a fools trade but Donato is looking great (thank god). His track record right now is questionable so I can see a Fiala trade for Granlund and one of our draft picks. I shouldn't think that but this team sure has a history of doing a stupid trade like that.

6 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

If you trade Brodin you can kiss the playoffs goodbye. Isolate and just watch him for a game. Sure he doesn't hit much but that's because the puck is on his stick and is moved tape to tape up ice

Not saying the Wild should trade him but with some of the talk of what teams want he could be looked and asked about by a lot of teams. And the jury is still out on Fenton and his decision making.

Darren Dreger with TSN sports reporting Winnipeg interested in adding a depth defenseman to the team. One has to wonder if Brodin or Spurgeon could be of interest to them.

Also Russo just reported that Carolina now interested in Jason Zucker!

If they trade Granlund, Who do they envision building around? Parise and the old core??

Looking at the 4 major under performers this year.

Nino and Coyle, Gone. Both had a couple of good seasons a couple of years ago.

Staal, Old and showing it. 

Zucker is the interesting factor imo. Newly signed bigger $ and production #'s low for this year. Not good for trade return.

My question is why would the Wild sign him for that time and $ only to give up on him after the first season (of the new contract)

Haven't GM''s seen this contract hangover before?

I'd be willing to wait and see how next season starts unless they come up with a really good summer trade.

Keep Granlund and put Zucker on the same line. If Zucker returns to form, The we have a solid line.

These two would be the youth and energy that the even younger guys can build around.

10 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

If they trade Granlund, Who do they envision building around? Parise and the old core??

Looking at the 4 major under performers this year.

Nino and Coyle, Gone. Both had a couple of good seasons a couple of years ago.

Staal, Old and showing it. 

Zucker is the interesting factor imo. Newly signed bigger $ and production #'s low for this year. Not good for trade return.

My question is why would the Wild sign him for that time and $ only to give up on him after the first season (of the new contract)

Haven't GM''s seen this contract hangover before?

I'd be willing to wait and see how next season starts unless they come up with a really good summer trade.

Keep Granlund and put Zucker on the same line. If Zucker returns to form, The we have a solid line.

These two would be the youth and energy that the even younger guys can build around.

My guess is with Granlund sounding like he is getting a lot of attention and he will need to be resigned soon he will be out the door. I think as far as Zucker goes, I think Fenton is thinking he made a mistake with the contract and is looking to shed it.

Now I am not saying they should or shouldn't do it but Fenton is going to want to build the team the way he wants and it's possible these two are gone.

Carolina? Can we have Nino? Oh. No givebacks. Zuckers ' game is speed and a sniper shot. Still has wheels but Parise is usually Wild's shot leader. Speaking of givebacks how about ZUCK for TUCH. We lost two big boys in Nino and Coyle.

@EJ0226 Why would you sign Zucker like that and give up on him based on this season?

Knee-Jerk reaction Imo. If Fenton has been looking to "build it the way he wants" then Zucker would've been part of that plan.

My opinion and confidence of Fenton has lessened because of this type of reaction.

3 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

@EJ0226 Why would you sign Zucker like that and give up on him based on this season?

Knee-Jerk reaction Imo. If Fenton has been looking to "build it the way he wants" then Zucker would've been part of that plan.

My opinion and confidence of Fenton has lessened because of this type of reaction.

Honest opinion? It was more a forced signing by CL to have Fenton do this. Remember when this signing happened CL told Fenton he doesn't want change. I think the signing is mainly a move by CL and now that Fenton has the go ahead to clear house he would like to shed this contract as it's way to much even for what Zucker was finally able to produce last year. Zucker at $3 million or less a season wouldn't look so bad and probably wouldn't be trying to be traded as it's come out that Fenton is shopping Zucker hard.

1 hour ago, EJ0226 said:

Nino trade was a fool trade. And let's be honest the Coyle trade should have been a fools trade but Donato is looking great (thank god). His track record right now is questionable so I can see a Fiala trade for Granlund and one of our draft picks. I shouldn't think that but this team sure has a history of doing a stupid trade like that.

Nino was slumping big time and Coyle wasn't anything special -  Granny's our best scorer for the past two seasons. If you don't bargain a good value out of your best asset, why do you even trade him? Why do you trade him? He has a very workable contract too so I understand why other teams are after him but why the hell would Fenton sell him so cheap... my god.

Good news for some probably is that for me that might be the the last straw...

Sounds like nashville wants granlund as a center. I guess we know why they switched him from wing to center.

As far as trading brodin or spurgeon, why not give them a chance at a cup, they won't get it here.

Build around Dumba, Greenway, kunin, the russian goalie in Iowa and the russian in russia and the best new kids drafted in the next 3 years.

I hope fenton can space out some of the draft picks recieved to span 3 drafts.

Archived