Wild Trade deadline day

Jimtown guy

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Fargocase said:

Gaborik was a "special player," He tilted the ice in the Wild's favor.  Fiala is a cutesy turnover machine, not at all Special (unless you add Ed) until he learns the right way to play the game.  There are 3 zones, not one.  So far he looks like another Krivokrasov Sushinsky or an upper case Matte to me.  He hugely, desperately needs to learn how to play at both ends and cut out stupid cutesy chit that leads to opponents scoring chances.   To say he isn't a Lemarie type of player is a huge understatement 

That could describe a lot of young talent in the league and yes he needs to be smarter with the puck.

What I am worried about Fiala is that he has played in the Swedish League as a junior and started his NHL career in Nashville, both of which have been defence first kind of mentoring environments, and he still he has been a defensive liability so far in his career. He's young but still - when is he going to start learning?

2 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

What I am worried about Fiala is that he has played in the Swedish League as a junior and started his NHL career in Nashville, both of which have been defence first kind of mentoring environments, and he still he has been a defensive liability so far in his career. He's young but still - when is he going to start learning?

Excellent question--I guess Fenton thinks he still has a chance to learn--for whatever its worth I'm on the doubtful side of that coin...

I read somewhere that most GM's give a good prospect at most 5 years to develop(I guess into what they were expecting) and then give up. Looks like Nashville had reached this point(or almost had) and traded him to the Wild.

There's no doubt Fiala does have skills, you can see them--but--

After thinking about the trade more, I think what makes it a bad one is that a good organization(Nashville) has put 4+ years into this player already--how much time do the Wild think they have to put into developing him? Another 3-4 years??

I think Fiala has shown his spots already and will never become the player Fenton thinks he can be... 

I almost forgot, welcome back, lynxrattle! I was a member of the old forum under a different name.

Thanks sweetshot!

Good to hear about that 5 year timeline. That certainly makes that Fiala acquisition sound very risky indeed. The near future of the Wild looks like a team trying to scrape by developing its prospects, scrounging for a point here and there. There's no room for players who live mainly by offense, in a team like that. Even the Jets with all their cup contender capabilities have problems with developing Laine's weaknesses.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:46 PM, TonyOday said:

Huh? Granlund is one of the most overrated players the Wild have had. You can see that Fiala could develop into a special player, Granlund is maxed out as a passing guy that has to be forced to shoot.

You want overrated players on the Wild you don't need to look much further then the big 3, Koivu, Suter and Parise. Koivu is nothing more then a 3rd liner defensive minded center that the franchise parades around like he is a Crosby. Suter and Parise make top tier talent money but have shown they are not that. Suter at this point doesn't even look like he cares and just shows up to make sure he gets his checks signed. Parise struggles to make top 50 most years. Granlund was at least in top 3 for scoring in the last few years and wasn't a defensive liability. He was also one of the few guys who would carry a puck into the zone and played great along the boards. The guy would do everything to hold that puck to set somebody up but most of our guys don't want to be the shooter/hero. I don't know why people dump on Granlund not shooting when we clearly have better shooters who refuse to take a shot or do the dirty work to set up others.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 5:05 AM, lynxrattle said:

This. If this kid is so good and his ceiling is so high then why was Nashville so hot to trot to dump him? And if he was so good then why didn't they demand more then just Granlund unless they knew Fiala isn't that great and they knew Granlund for Fiala was a steal. We treated our most consistent scorer for the most consistent turnover machine.

28 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

Granlund was at least in top 3 for scoring in the last few years and wasn't a defensive liability. He was also one of the few guys who would carry a puck into the zone and played great along the boards. The guy would do everything to hold that puck to set somebody up but most of our guys don't want to be the shooter/hero. I don't know why people dump on Granlund not shooting when we clearly have better shooters who refuse to take a shot or do the dirty work to set up others.

I thought Granlund had a very good shot ...When he was allowed to do so.

Since he was also good at the set ups, The Wild decided to make him be that guy. 

Park your a$$ along the side and feed others was just to frustrating to see for me.

In my opinion, such multiple signings(Aberg, Bitteto, Hunt), as well as trades(Rask, Donato, Fiala) during the season, are usually having a destructive effect for the team's performance and team's chemistry. And practically, half of the team was rebuilt since last summer till now. All is left from our offense - Parise, Staal, Zucker, Foligno. The rest are new forwards. From our previous defense, we have Spurgeon, Suter, Brodin(Dumba is out - injured mostly for the entire season). As a result, we have now fewer playoffs experience as we had before.
Regarding our trades, just compared our stats:
Carolina made the most steal for Nino and Nashville made a good steal for Granlund.
I think we made a very good steal for Donato.
Positive promising signings for our team this season - Connor Dewar and Alexander Khovanov.

Archived